1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Martin: I'm Excited For The Challenge/Video

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Sceeto, May 24, 2013.

1. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/a...hallenge/0495f1bf-10e1-4140-8519-0bfef714738a

the 23rd, Ohio Fanatic and smahtaz like this.
  2. Claymore95

Claymore95 Working on it... Club Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    I'm excited to see what Martin brings this season, a guy with his intelligence and solid base should make a more than adequate LT in the NFL. Let's not forget he doesn't have to be All-Pro to be the equal or better than what we had from Jake Long the last two years.

3. Mcduffie81

Mcduffie81 Wildcat Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    I have no predictions. Im normally an optomist when it comes to my Phins and I know hes been working hard, but I'm still scared to death. Please Martin, don't get our QB hurt!

djphinfan likes this.
  4. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    Martin has by all reports given himself a chance to prove the doubters wrong. If he's worked hard in the offseason to get himself in a posItion to progress then im backing him 100%.

5. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    what's plan B?

6. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Martin: I'm Excited For The ____________

Donuts
    Churros
    Hammock naps
    Dorito Taco Bell Tacos
    Couch naps
    Gummi Bear Sundaes
    Five Guys Burgers
    Lockerroom naps
    Fried Oreos
    New Netflix Releases
    Panzarotti Pizza Pockets
    15 minutes between sets
    Soap Operas In My BarcaLounger
    Cinnamon Beavertails
    Lolling On A Weeknight
    Lolling On A Weekend
    Naps As I Drive
    Deep Dish Meatloaf
    2013 Snoozon, I mean Season.

[​IMG]

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  7. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Agree.

If he can become an average to above average starting LT that's a huge win for Ireland , the coaching staff, and the fans.

8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    sure hope he proves this doubter wrong and can become an average player, cause that's as far as my hope on him will take me..not buying the whole " he only needs to add strength"..this dude drastically needs to improve his whole game, everything..especially his base, which was narrow alongside a poor athletic position, two critical fundamental things that need to be in every Olineman skillset, that I didnt see in his..

Teams are gonna study that left side and attack the sh&$ out of us..

I would think Yeatman will challenge and be the backup.

9. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    to ignore you until Martin proves the doubters wrong

10. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I think its a valid question OH

11. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Let's hope we don't see much more of this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAPYokt2Npc

Seriously, I know a lot of people don't like Martin and I have had my fair share of complaints, but actually, that was more when he was at RT. Yes, that play against Aldon Smith was really bad, but I don't think that's really indicative of how he played overall or his potential to be better. It was just a real bad highlight. I remember him having some troubles, but I don't remember Tanne getting completely killed when Martin was at LT either. He does seem to be working hard this off-season and seems to have a very good attitude and if he has indeed gotten stronger, along with Tanne getting more comfortable and probably more nimble in the pocket, then it may not be as bad as we think. I also really respect Philbin's knowledge, so if he thinks Martin can be a sufficient LT, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and hope for the best.

12. Mcduffie81

Mcduffie81 Wildcat Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    I can't give him the benefit of the doubt with this franchise' recent history :( but I'm with ya on the 2nd half of the quote!

13. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    we can't have a star player at every position. IMO, Martin will develop into a "good enough" LT this season and get even better next season. If Louis comes back to form and we have Cogs, Pouncey, Louis and Clabo - giving us a pretty good 4/5 lineup. If Martin can play even average at LT, our line is good enough. As far as "plan B", we're missing a lot of plan B's due to our lack of depth across the roster. Not many teams have an answer if their LT goes down.

14. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Martin's knock coming out was that he was weak. Not his technique or his footwork. Getting stronger is the easiest thing to overcome for a pro athlete. We'll see what happens but I'm optimistic.

the 23rd and Sceeto like this.
  15. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Like I said, I'd be happy with average, but that's gonna take a pretty big jump in play.

16. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I disagree, I think he had technique issues and footwork issues coming out of Stanford, I think about it like this, if all he does is get stronger, were in trouble it's not enough, his whole game needs a makeover, and Jim turner just might be that guy to do it.

Bpk likes this.
  17. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Yes, it's a big jump, but I don't think it's unrealistic. He's smart, and he can get stronger. that at least gives him a foundation, if he works hard, I see no reason why he can't develop into an "average" LT.

18. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't agree that he needs to change everything. Some Ts don't use that exaggerated wide stance. I don't believe it's a requirement. From my martial arts background there are styles that use a variety of stances. IMO anything wider than a little more than shoulder width could work. I think he has quick feet and I like his punch, although he needs to improve the timing of it. That being said I don't believe he'll ever be a a great LT. But I do think he can average to above average and in our quick pass offense I see that as more than good enough.

Sceeto and GMJohnson like this.
  19. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Hope he's improved because if he isn't Tannehill is going to have a long season on his back or running for his life. Really all of the moves we've made, the money we've spent is just about meaningless if Martin can't protect Tannehill. And there isn't a plan b on the roster so his improvement is key to us being a playoff team.

20. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I just don't think it's that big of a deal. In a quick passing offense you ask your Ts to block for less time the majority of the time. When you do need them to block longer you usually help one T or the other with at least a chip from a back or TE. IMO as long as Martin has quick enough feet to get in the way and improves his strength enough to anchor better, he's fine against all but the few beast DEs. And against those beast DEs we haven't had anybody who could stop them for the last two seasons anyway. I don't think any team does. Wake really doesn't get stopped. He gets beat by quick passing and the QB stepping up in the pocket. That's what RT will have to do. All we need is for Martin to improve his strength enough to prevent the rush that is so fast it doesn't give RT time to anticipate and adjust.

the 23rd and Sceeto like this.
  21. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    It's just that I see that narrow stance interfering with his balance a lot,the consistency for which he gets beat on the bull rush and the swim move is related to it imo, that's why I think he has to change from the ground up, new stance, new athletic position..

22. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Yeah, that's what I was getting at. Agree. :up:

23. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    It makes me cringe a little when people are ready to write a guy off after 1 season at a position he'd never played before. If you look at the Johnathan Martin who finished 2012 vs the one who began the preseason there's a night and day difference, IIRC there was big thread dedicated to bashing him, calling him a bust, fire Ireland, he shoulda took a WR, etc etc after the Carolina game in PS week 2. With off season strength and conditioning plus a full camp and preseason at LT I see no reason why he can't make another significant leap by the start of next season. And from watching him play LT the last few weeks of the season, IMO he was already "average". Obviously he needs to get stronger and add some bulk, the bull rush was his Achilles heel. On the bright side he rarely got beaten around the edge or blew his assignments, those are the things that get QBs hurt.

cuchulainn and Sceeto like this.
  24. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    100%.

Luckily the AFCE is devoid of beast DE's, and we'll only face a handful of quality edge rushers during the season. Suggs, Kruger, Hardy, Mathis, Freeney, and Michael Johnson by my count. If we played in the NFC North or East we might be in trouble.

25. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    It's not that narrow though. It's just more narrow than you saw Long use. With more core strength, you can use a narrow stance just fine and a more narrow stance helps you move your feet more quickly. He doesn't have to change the stance. He just has to be stronger and improve his timing (both his punch and when he sets himself to absorb the blow).

26. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I keep saying narrow because his steps are consistently choppy when he's engaging, thus losing his strength in his base and easily being knocked off his balance..It looked to me the same issues in college followed him in the pros, that's why I think some things besides strength need to be changed..I mean I certainly wouldn't say Jon Martin was fundamentally sound last year and just needs to add strength to Improve?

27. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    You want your legs choppy

28. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think it's mostly a timing issue. I think he anchors and punches late and then chops his feet b/c he's not stable. More strength and better timing would improve his stability. In college he got away with it b/c he was stronger than most he faced and b/c Luck was really good in the pocket. I think that if he gets stronger and RT continues to improve in the pocket that Martin will be more than adequate.

29. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Let's wait and see how he looks in camp. Everything printed about his off-season conditioning has been positive and so have been the comments from his teammates. He definitely passes the eyeball test between the recent pics and last season's pics. He had issues with the bull rush last season and Long couldn't handle the speed rush. If Martin can get it together under Turner and gel with Cogs, we should be set, even if he isn't anything more than good over there.

We took the best blocking TE and RB in the draft to help out where and as needed, so I think coaches are prepared to let him sink or swim and with Tannehill's mobility, we should be fine.

30. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    It'll be a big deal if he doesn't improve. Sure he was a rookie and its certainly not time to write him off but lets be real, he wasn't impressive in his rookie campaign and if he can't improve we'll be benching him or drafting his replacement. I don't think we need an elite LT, he has the talent to be good enough but he wasn't there last year and he looked downright awful at times so he needs to take a pretty big step or our entire offense will suffer. You're right that the elite pass rushers won't be stopped and some of it is up to Tannehill but Martin does need to take a big step forward or our offense is going to have big issues.

31. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    The kickslide is not what I'm talking about Dup.

32. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    your right about his timing, he doesn't seem to get his arms extended and get real good shots on his opponent.