Marshall's positive effect on Brian Hartline

15 replies

padre31padre31Luxury BoxOP
Aug 5, 2010, 07:51 AM

Hartline is faster than he looks.

Yes, looks.

"It's more his burst than his speed," Dolphins cornerback Sean Smith says. "You may look at it, like, 'OK, he's not going to blaze by me.' But when B. Hart makes that double move, when he comes out of that next break, he's real quick, he's full go. He never slows down."

Hartline averaged 16.3 yards per catch as a rookie. That was more than Moss, Smith, Andre Johnson, Terrell Owens, Calvin Johnson, Sidney Rice, Marques Colston, Santonio Holmes and Chad Ochocinco.

Sure, he had a small sample size (31 catches), but there's no reason that he couldn't develop into what Kevin Walter became in Houston. A former seventh-round pick, Walter was waived by the Giants and made no impact in Cincinnati before the Texans signed him as a restricted free agent in exchange for a 7th rounder. In his last three seasons as a Texan, he's averaged 59 catches, 770 yards and five touchdowns as a capable complement to Andre Johnson, a beneficiary of Johnson's greatness. Walter and Hartline ran comparable 40-yard dashes coming out of college.

Is Hartline's speed underrated? His speed in pads?

"Uh, maybe," he says.

Can he think of a reason?

"Absolutely," he says, pausing. "Well, I don't know. That's just the M.O., I guess. You tell me."

It's a little like White Men Can't Jump?

"You tell me, you tell me, you tell me," he says, smiling.

So he catches defenders off guard?

"Yes, but like anything else, it takes about a play or two, and then they figure it out," he says.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-skolnick-dolphins-receivers-0805-20100804,0,6363513.column

I never considered Hartline slow per se, but he explains why what he does works out on the field

The Aqua CrushThe Aqua CrushNew Member
Aug 5, 2010, 12:53 PM

I'm really starting to like the idea of Marshall, Bess and Hartline as our core wideout group. I think they will open things up for each other, they all know how to get open and they all can catch the ball really well.

Their fundamentals are very strong IMO. Henne should have plenty of opportunities to flourish this year in the passing game.

Hopefully Fasano can complement them even further up the seam.

It feels good to have a set of wideouts who are all fundamentally solid, seems like it's been a while.

Mcduffie81Mcduffie81Supporter
Aug 5, 2010, 01:05 PM

Thanks for posting this. I love Hartline. Hes becoming my favorite player by the way he takes a hit and can deliver a hit. Im tired of people playing football afraid. This dude fights for the ball and gives it all. Hes a "take no poop" kind of player.

Only negative I see (im no expert, SURPRISE!) is that he head fakes too fast (doesnt sell his fakes hard enough) and it doesnt fool anyone. I think hes smart enough to learn more and more ways to get open and his speed looks to be "good enough" to get some seperation. Ill buy this dudes jersey if he has a good year!

"There is nothing to fear, except everyone trying to tackle me." - Ted Ginn Jr.

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Aug 5, 2010, 01:13 PM

"Mcduffie81 wrote:

Thanks for posting this. I love Hartline. Hes becoming my favorite player by the way he takes a hit and can deliver a hit. Im tired of people playing football afraid. This dude fights for the ball and gives it all. Hes a "take no poop" kind of player.

Only negative I see (im no expert, SURPRISE!) is that he head fakes too fast (doesnt sell his fakes hard enough) and it doesnt fool anyone. I think hes smart enough to learn more and more ways to get open and his speed looks to be "good enough" to get some seperation. Ill buy this dudes jersey if he has a good year!

Actually those hits he absorbs is one of my concerns with him, a Wr has to learn how to dodge some of that pounding or they won't last a season without injury.

Mcduffie81Mcduffie81Supporter
Aug 5, 2010, 01:16 PM

"padre31 wrote:

Actually those hits he absorbs is one of my concerns with him, a Wr has to learn how to dodge some of that pounding or they won't last a season without injury.

I dont recall any hits he tried to deliver, or could dodge other than the one on special teams. Im talking about a few where he had no choice but to take the hit. Which are you talking about?

"There is nothing to fear, except everyone trying to tackle me." - Ted Ginn Jr.

PHphineas64New Member
Aug 5, 2010, 01:17 PM

"padre31 wrote:

Actually those hits he absorbs is one of my concerns with him, a Wr has to learn how to dodge some of that pounding or they won't last a season without injury.

This made me laugh, as it reminded me of all the rips on Ginn for dodging hits. :lol:
(by using the sideline, I know.....)

He does need to remember he's not a RB though, their NFL life is shortened by all the hits, so he needs to use that burst and shiftiness to make the defender miss, and then head for the goal line...:up:

The greatest value of the past is how wisely we invest it in the future.
- Jim Rohn

Tone_ETone_ESupporter
Aug 5, 2010, 01:20 PM

Is it also too much to hope for the fact that Ronnie Brown becomes part of this receiving corps as well??

Pass the man the damn ball more often.....

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Aug 5, 2010, 01:21 PM

"Mcduffie81 wrote:

I dont recall any hits he tried to deliver, or could dodge other than the one on special teams. Im talking about a few where he had no choice but to take the hit. Which are you talking about?

Hartline has a habit of doing his head fake, catching the ball, the Cb wraps him up and instead of going down he tries to fight a bit and the S/Lb/whomever wallops him in the back.

A Wr needs that clock in their head the same as a Qb, it helps in avoiding both punishment and turnovers.

Mcduffie81Mcduffie81Supporter
Aug 5, 2010, 01:22 PM

"phineas64 wrote:

This made me laugh, as it reminded me of all the rips on Ginn for dodging hits. :lol:
(by using the sideline, I know.....)

He does need to remember he's not a RB though, their NFL life is shortened by all the hits, so he needs to use that burst and shiftiness to make the defender miss, and then head for the goal line...:up:

I agree with all of this, but I cant remember a single account of him being reckless and looking to absorb any unnecessary hits.

I remember him going all out for catchable balls, and a slant that resulted in a huge hit. But shoot, thats his job. Also recall a couple reverses where he was indeed running away from people (as he should) and never took a big hit. Scored a TD too!

"There is nothing to fear, except everyone trying to tackle me." - Ted Ginn Jr.

Mcduffie81Mcduffie81Supporter
Aug 5, 2010, 01:27 PM

"padre31 wrote:

Hartline has a habit of doing his head fake, catching the ball, the Cb wraps him up and instead of going down he tries to fight a bit and the S/Lb/whomever wallops him in the back.

A Wr needs that clock in their head the same as a Qb, it helps in avoiding both punishment and turnovers.

Did that actually happen? I dont remember.

I disagree to an extent. I want a reciever who tries to break a cb's tackle ala Brandon Marshall. He's not the delicate type. However, I DONT want him to try to run over any LBers......unless we need a first down. And yea if hes stood up and being raped the best thing to do is fall before y our stripped, b ut I dont remember that happening. Cant fault him for having that heart.

"There is nothing to fear, except everyone trying to tackle me." - Ted Ginn Jr.

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Aug 5, 2010, 01:32 PM

Ive seen some pic's of cammy and my buddy confirmed in practice what I thought, why is cammy so thin....he seems to be doing well in practice though...sorry for being off topic, any thoughts?

Maybe he's trying to add some spped to his game.

PHphineas64New Member
Aug 5, 2010, 01:33 PM

"Mcduffie81 wrote:

I agree with all of this, but I cant remember a single account of him being reckless and looking to absorb any unnecessary hits.

I remember him going all out for catchable balls, and a slant that resulted in a huge hit. But shoot, thats his job. Also recall a couple reverses where he was indeed running away from people (as he should) and never took a big hit. Scored a TD too!

I don't think I'd call him reckless, but he has absorbed a few extra shots trying for that next half yard or so when he was pretty wrapped up. I love to see guys give it their all and get what they can yardage wise, but I cringe at the same time as it seems many injuries and turnovers happen when the second or third guy piles on. It's that guy they don't see coming that does the damage.

The greatest value of the past is how wisely we invest it in the future.
- Jim Rohn

finyank13finyank13New Member
Aug 5, 2010, 01:38 PM

I always described Hart as route runner fast...like not a burner, but very very quick running routes, and fluid to the point where he more often than not doesnt lose anything, and other guys have to compensate for the cuts he makes, all the while he knows where he is going...

“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod

Mcduffie81Mcduffie81Supporter
Aug 5, 2010, 01:40 PM

"phineas64 wrote:

I don't think I'd call him reckless, but he has absorbed a few extra shots trying for that next half yard or so when he was pretty wrapped up. I love to see guys give it their all and get what they can yardage wise, but I cringe at the same time as it seems many injuries and turnovers happen when the second or third guy piles on. It's that guy they don't see coming that does the damage.

I agree. Im not trying to arguementative. I just dont remember that happening, so I dont have that concern with him.

My view is, hes a live wire so yea injuries might happen to him, but w/o that energy (or sizable quevos) he would be very average.

Edit: Just wanted to give CK some extra props while refreshing some of Hartlines play. I dont see even 1 questionable decision after the catch. CK, is this a break down of every play his way?

YouTube- ‪Universal Draft Presents Miami Dolphins WR Brian Hartline '09‬‎

"There is nothing to fear, except everyone trying to tackle me." - Ted Ginn Jr.

ANAnonymousSupporter
Aug 5, 2010, 04:07 PM

If he can be Kevin Walter of 2008, we're in business.

xphinfanxxphinfanxForum Veteran
Aug 5, 2010, 04:57 PM

When I think 2009 Hartline I always remember the game with him flat out takeing his pass back from the two titan deffenders. What a play.

That's why they play the games!:yes: