1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marshall: all about QB's

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by the 23rd, Dec 31, 2010.

Tags:
  1. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
  2. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    merge

3. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    He's right..

Say hello to Josh McDaniels as OC...

ToddsPhins likes this.
  4. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Marshall doesnt realize that throwing it up means a higher chance of a -% play.

And those candy asses would just assume not take those kind of chances very often in games. Our whole offensive philosophy is that of "carefullness" well, that will rarely win you a championship unless you have a 2000 Ravens defense.

Beating a dead horse here but our staff needs a pink slip this Monday morning.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  5. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    not true. sparano specifically told Henne to take more chances earlier this year. Its all on Henne that he didnt listen

6. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    I wasnt in the room so I cant deny or confirm.

What I can tell you is that when he was at Michigan he had NO PROBLEM firing the ball into tiny windows or down the field. The way Henne has been "developed" is horrible, and that is on the offensive coaches.

Bpk, miamiron and ToddsPhins like this.
  7. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I can see that conversation right now....

Tony: Chad got a minute, need to talk to you.
    Chad: Sure whats up boss?
    Tony: Well Chad, for the last 2 1/2 years we have been telling you that you need to be careful with the ball
    Chad: Yeah coach...
    Tony: Well, we were wrong... I don't think we have been aggressive enough... I need for you to take more chances with the ball.
    Chad: Coach! I can't do that. I might throw an INT at the wrong time.
    Tony: No worries Chad, that is a chance I am willing to take.
    Chad: Ahhh OK coach. I will try just for you. You know us players have your back.

FAST FORWARD TO A GAME... ON THE SIDELINE:

Tony: Chad I told you to take more chances down the field.
    Chad (weeping): I cacacacan't do it coach... I just cacacacan't!
    Tony: Come on Chad stop being a sissy and throw the ball down the field.
    Chad: OK coach I will try for you... cause you know us players got your back.
    Dan Henning: OK Chad, we want you to take more chances with the ball so what we are going to do is run the ball on every 3rd and more then 5 yards. We are also going to run the ball every single time we get inside the 30 yard line. OH, and if we get into a 2 minute offense I am going to call plays within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage... Dont bother looking down field cause we have no speed. I am here to put you in a position to succeeded and that is what I am going to do!
    Chad: Huh?
    Tony: OK Chad... now go out there and take more chances! BUT don't throw any INT's in the redzone while you are handing the ball off... I really like doing the fist pump thing after we kick a FG!

ToddsPhins likes this.
  8. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    think the conversation went more like this

Sparano: Chad, you do realize that when we give you a play you dont have to checkdown every single time?
    Henne: But coach, there were DBs at least within three yards of the first and second options
    Sparano: I understand that Chad but that means they were open and your job is to get it to them

Paul 13 and Dol-Fan Dupree like this.
  9. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    But why is he like that? He was a gunslinger at Michigan...I really believe Pennington was the worst guy to "mentor" Henne, couple that with our conservative approach and you get a QB who checks down.

Im not a Henne apologist he can be on the first flight out too, but the problem starts with our staff.

10. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    i've read articles where Delhomme and Hasselbeck both spoke about Henning. Basically they both understood that what Henning wanted was intelligent aggression, meaning get a feel for when to take chances. Both Hasselbeck and Delhomme grasped the concept. Unfortunately for us, Henne hasnt been able to. He either goes into a complete shell or he just starts throwing it around like an imbecile. I am not ready to write off Henne. I think he shows enough flashes that there's a chance he can put it all together next year. But its mental with Henne. He has to grasp game situation. He has to understand when to take chances and when not to. That isnt on coaches because they have all told him the same thing. That is all on Henne because even though he's been told it hasnt sunk in yet and until it does there isnt an offensive scheme that will work with a QB who can only play super conservative or psychotically aggressive. He has to find that middle ground

11. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    I have been saying its mental with Henne all year, couldnt agree more.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  12. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Probably true, dam but people respond to how they are treated through action, not words primarily. Even if the conversation went as above, when Chad then goes out and TRIES to do that but throws a couple of INTs he has coach screaming at him, Marshall pointing over at Thigpen, fans chanting at him and that's all painful stuff (especially to this kid, who I think is not as emotionally tough as he pretends).

So, all the feedback inside him is screaming DON'T TRY THAT AGAIN! and the coach who screamed at him for it last time is like, "Hey, just throw it up there again!" (so I can yell at you when you come off the field).

Result = avoid pain. throw safer checkdown.

Chad Henne may be dumb, but he's not stupid.

(he's also not good enough nor confident enough to do what's being asked of him)

adamprez2003 likes this.
  13. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    i think thats very close to the truth. i think he lacks a feel for when to take chances. Sparano or Henning talked about it a bit a few weeks ago. you have a receiver covered down the sideline. the DB is playing inside. throw it to the outside shoulder. this way you are being aggressive but smart at the same time. problem is henne tends to do that down the middle of the field which is probably why we are terrified of calling slants. I just think the concept of intelligent aggression is lost on him right now. He can either be aggressive or conservative but he doesnt know how to sswitch it up and when to switch it up. Hopefully he figures it out

14. Bpk

Go to this NFL video and watch it at the 47 second mark. You will seen Sprano and henn's first training camp. The first interaction I EVER saw between them and know what, it already says it ALL about who Henne is.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/miami-dolphins/09000d5d80a4d1f2/Sparano-wired

[video]http://www.nfl.com/videos/miami-dolphins/09000d5d80a4d1f2/Sparano-wired[/video]

By the way, I couldn;t agree with you more. Have a feeling our coaching staff and players agree too.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  15. Bpk

This will seem stupid, but it always bothered me that Chad gulps like he is scared and nervous when interviewed or speaking. I hate that. I mean, he seems like a scared kid to me, despite his big-*** jaw and stony silence on the field. He just does not exude leader or confidence to me.

He's like a better Beck.

16. Bpk

Seems like henne's problems are personality and brain-wiring related.

I have never seen a QB coach develop those.

Perhaps a psychiatrist and a neuropath behavioral conditioner?

adamprez2003 likes this.
  17. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    that was pretty cool stuff. laughed at what he had to say to fasano "no head starts fasano. if you're slow you're slow."
    and henne

sparano: whats going on chad
    Henne: nothing
    sparano: well thats a pretty stupid answer

Bpk likes this.
  18. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    lol. i am hoping its fixable. I know when i first played football i wouldnt lower my helmet for the first month. i would just tackle with my body. my coaches would tell me to get my helmet in there and stick them but i couldnt get myself to do it. then one day in drills i just wwent and did it. from then on i was a terror but it wasnt bad coaching that didnt get me to do it the first month, it was my own brain. i hope thats the case with henne but i can honestly say its just hope at this point. i dont know one way or the other whether he can figure it out

Bpk likes this.
  19. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I stated concern very early in the developing of hennne by Penny, I asked if anyone else was worried that a player with the skillset of Penny was teaching a player with skillset of Henne....Henne has a rifle arm, I mean really strong..I wonder if its even possible for Penny to teach what he doesn't have...It sure looked that way on the field when it came to Henne..He looked like a player that was trained..

Now that being said, thats just a mindset holding him back, my main concerns are more physical and innate.

20. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    his interviews are beginning to annoy me. there's a complacency there that is just annoying as hell. would love to see just a bit of emotion. at least he doesnt draw plays up with his chicken mcnuggets

Bpk likes this.
  21. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    So now we have two threads with Mr. Underwhelming running his mouth and putting blame on everyone but himself.
    I repeat once more for you that are hard of hearing like the OP.
    Marshall has three TD's and a 2.5 YAC average. He has no reason to run his mouth about a damn thing.
    Marshall once again just STFU and prove it on the field you over paid hack.

Can we merge this with the other thread please. Someone didn't bother to care that there was already a major discussion over this garbage BM is spewing.

22. Bpk

lol.

23. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    That video clip is quite old BPK... it's from Sparano's initial season with the Dolphins... Derek Hagan was still on the team. But I think the point to take from it is that Henne gave a stupid answer. Stupid is as stupid does...

Bpk likes this.
  24. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

Brandon Marshall is FAR down on the list when it comes to the problems of the Miami Dolphins.

25. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    So on one hand you don't want the playmaker being given the opportunity to make a play. But on the other hand you want the entire staff fired for not playing that way? :shifty:

26. Bpk

I know. My point is that right from the very second they began their relationship Sparano had Henne pegged as dense. Sparano's first gut reaction was right.

27. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    I think you missed my intentional sarcasm.

Zod likes this.