1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marino Thinks Henne Should Play In December

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Georgia Fin, Oct 21, 2008.

1. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    I think he is suggesting that a change should be considered once the season is lost .

I dont think we are are at that stage yet.

It would take a couple of more bad performances by Penny before that happens IMO .

The article does point out that Sparano was thinking about the substitution of Penny at one point of the Ravens game so we may see Henne coming in from the bench at some point some time soon.

Larryfinfan, GoPhins! and PMZQ like this.
  2. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I don't have a problem at all with starting henne when the season is definately lost. At this point though, I dont think we can take the starting job from pennington. One bad game isnt reason to panic and change qb's. Unless sparano and company are really starting to realize just how much pennington is holding back the offense.

I like Henne alot, and want to see him play for this team, I still think its too early though to abandon pennington. However, the early success of Ryan and Flacco makes me wonder what we have though, and it'd be nice to see, just... not yet.

GoPhins! and PMZQ like this.
  3. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Way to early to abandon Penny but lets not make the same mistakes that were made last year. However it should be unless a game is winnable Henne should be playing in the 4th qtr.

4. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Can't say I really care too much what Marino thinks. He's not a personnel guy, he's not a quarterbacks coach, he's not an offensive coordinator. Him being able to throw the ball well does not make him an expect on team development.

GARDENHEAD, fins4o8 and FiN.in.RI like this.
  5. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    I'm with Marino on this one. My belief is that if you have a rookie QB who you deem to be the future you start considering putting him in week 10 or on depending on if he's ready and how your team is faring with the starting QB. If we're in the midst of a playoff hunt, I say Penny stays but if it becomes increasingly obvious that we will have to wait till next year for our playoff shot, then week 10 is when you start to consider it

Big Red, GoPhins! and Rocky Raccoon like this.
  6. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    couldn't have said it better myself.

:up:

7. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    That is what we said about Beck. Until we realized that playing an inexperienced rookie on a bad team can be a detriment to his development, not to mention the possibility of having a sever impact on his confidence, ala Beck. I don’t want to see that happen to Henne as well. When will we learn that the Mannings, Marinos, Rothlesburgers, and even Ryans are few and far between? When?

Penny is doing a fine job, and Henne is learning more just by watching him, and being tutored by Penny. Leave Penny in, and give Henne one more training camp after a year of watching Penny, and it will be a better result.

Plus, I don’t think I can bear the “Henne is a bust” threads, or “Should we take a QB with pick 2B” threads once Henne acts like a, well, like a rookie.

8. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I think we have to quit penciling everybody into two camps of thought.....either play Henne or not play Henne.

Look...we are in a great situation...in that we have no pressure to decide right now. We really arent playing for the playoffs...we all realize that...and Im sure the team realizes that. If things turn out that way....great. But we dont have to make a QB change to save a season or anything like that.

Here is how maybe we should look at it. Chad is not just helping to lead an offense...hes helping to develop younger players. I don't think its just "because" that David Martin has gotten alot better. I see Ted Ginn running better routes. I really don't see a ton of mistakes like false starts on the oline. We keep Chad playing there until the young guys reach a time when what Chad offers no longer benefits them from a learning standpoint. We keep playing Chad as long as he doesn't impact their confidence levels.

You cant say when that time may happen....it just does, and I trust Coach to know when that time is. Guys...that time may not be until 2010. Henne is young..hes not going anywhere.

One thing to mention though is....

I get the sense that Chad Henne has that "Dan Marino" type of confidence and personality. We dont want to get Henne frustrated on the sideline...and impact his growth. QB's like that WANT to start and WANT to start now. He will be quite and learn for the most part this season.....but he KNOWS he's the future, and this offense really is his.

Again...I trust Coach Sparano to have a good pulse as to when to play him. It benefits the media to have a QB controversy because it sells papers, and gets web hits. Lets not feed that monster.

9. Phin-o-rama

Phin-o-rama Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2007
    excellent post ^^

vt_dolfan likes this.
  10. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I agree with everything except where you say if it becomes "obvious" that playoffs are out of the question. I don't think it makes any sense to try and determine whether or not it's obvious if a team has a chance or not to go to the playoffs. Ask Wade Phillips about a famous quote he made during his days with Buffalo. I believe it helped get him fired. When the team is mathematically eliminated, then we can start thinking about Henne.

No matter what happens, another benefit of all this Henne discussion by the media is that it will probably end up being motivation for Pennington to continue to play well and do everything he can to keep this team in the hunt.

11. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

GOD??

I completely agree!!!!!

12. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    We aren't playing for the playoffs? Really? Then what are we playing for? Milk and cookies? Once again, it's possible to be a rebuilding team and try and make the playoffs at the same time. The two things are not mutually exclusive.

And any player on that team that isn't playing their hearts out to win every game possible and have a shot at the playoffs shouldn't be in the NFL. I think you've got it exactly wrong. We might be writing this team off, but I bet every guy in that locker room thinks they still have a shot at the playoffs and that's what they're playing for.

13. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    I love me some Dan Marino. I enjoy his comments and opinions.
    He may not be a coach, but IMO, he's one of the best and elite Dolphins ever.
    I like Pennington. From what most of you say, he's there for us and doing his best. (I can't see the games. :cry:)
    Why after just a couple of losses should he be benched for the rook?
    I think Henne should sit, learn, take advantage of a veteran qb and soak it all up. Then when the time is right let him play.
    I agree with some one who said we don't need another Beck situation.
    IMO Beck got pushed to the point where he lost his confidence.
    We've got to be consistant. We haven't been in years and I think that's been one of the biggest problems this team has had.
    I just have to trust Sparano to do what's best for the team. I also think he needs a few years to get this team together before anyone starts calling for his head.
    He's about the only coach I've liked since Shula. So, I for one, want him to have the chance to rebuild this team and take us where we deserve to be again.

Those are my thoughts and I agree with me, whether any one else does or not. :wink2:

Big Red likes this.
  14. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

I still like the Bill Walsh way of doing it. Sparano picks out say 4 games and in the second half Henne plays; whatever the situation. Unless he gets hurt he plays the whole half. As Chucky says "your signing bonus can't help you now." WE are rebuilding and we need to see just what Henne has. He has to play sometime; throw him in the pool then he'll sink or swim. My guess is that he will swim.

15. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Penny has been the best QB we've had here since Danny, no doubt. The fact is though, so far, he's not getting the job done. Will or can Henne do any better, it's doubtful except we might be able to hit on some bigger plays with Henne instead of Penny...

But as most everyone has said, it's probably just too early to move Penny out just yet...

16. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I'm still waiting for the first bad performance.

funkdat likes this.
  17. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007

He was not great during the first two games and he had a bad game against the Ravens.It wasnt all his fault but he didnt help things.

He was all pro during the two wins so I guess you can say his performance has been mixed .If you remember there were call for Henne to start after the first two games from the press and some of our more notable posters.

Still I believe Penny should be the starter .:yes:

18. dolphans1

dolphans1 New Member

Oct 15, 2008
    The main reason we lost was we couldn't stop the Raven's Flaco.

We played it safe and tried running on the 3rd down, instead of throwing it into the end zone, we ran and we seemed to be satisfied with a 10-6 score.

Penny's easy gimmie TD to the Raven's defense.

We couldn't get the running game going.

If we continue to play like this (Raven's game), its going to be a real long season.

We should have lost by a worser score had we not recoverd that fumble.

d-1

19. keypusher

keypusher Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2007
    I think it's more accurate to say he had a bad play against the Ravens -- admittedly it was a really, really bad play. 24-35-295 is not a bad game, especially if your team can't run at all.

Apart from the INT-TD, the other things that drove me crazy happened in the fourth quarter. After they fumbled on our five, we got a motion penalty on first down :angry:, then Ronnie got stuffed, then Pennington missed a 15 yarder. On third down, he threw underneath to Ginn, who got brought down far short of the first. Pennington threw pretty quickly; I didn't think he had to throw that fast. Why did he do that?

Then on our last drive (not counting the meaningless passes at the very end), on third down and ten we ran the wildcat :angry:; on fourth down Pennington threw immediately to Cobbs, who immediately got tackled. Pennington might just as well have thrown an interception. Did he just not see the defender?

Did anyone see those two short passes discussed in the press conference or in the newspapers?