Marcus Wheaton, WR Oregon St
30 replies
Marcus Wheaton profile, WR Oregon St
I'm too tired to do a full write up on Wheaton, so I figured I could start with a few things to get the ball rolling and take it from there.
The first thing that jumps out is how he plays at a different speed than everyone else, and he's not the long strider that Ted Ginn is. He gets up to full speed quickly and still somehow manages to have an extra gear he taps into that reminds me of Jacoby Ford's. Even in the NFL he should make a lot of defenders take some bad angles.
uses his speed well
understands how to vary speed to set up defenders and maintains good forward momentum while setting up a defender.
good recognition of the moment his defender is set up and promptly exploits it.
+ balance
+ body control
above average agility & elusiveness
+ coordination
+ vision
+ natural instincts
great decisiveness
outstanding hand eye coordination
great with his hands (including beating jams and winning the hand jockeying battle downfield)
can catch with his hands and make the tough catch
+ vertical and can highpoint
can track the deep ball
gets a good release
leaves enough room on the fade for QB & himself
offers some redzone potential (fade ability, run after catch on screens etc, ability for sudden separation, speed for shallow & deep drags)
great awareness & cognizant of his surroundings
has a sense of naturalness to his play
quick thinking/quick reacting
quick twitch & explosive
good hips
seems like a tremendous & selfless teammate who does a + job fighting for his guys.
willing blocker; always looking to block someone
has the tools to be dangerous at all 3 levels of the field and create instant separation
possesses the natural ability to be a sharp route runner & explosive out of his breaks
great awareness when to stick his foot in the ground and get north for plus yardage rather than pussy-footing around.
Some obviously impressive stuff in this clip vs BYU, but also some impressive subtle things I'd like to note.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEfNoK4BsVs
1. first play: body control, flexibility, and awareness to get the inside foot down before the outside.
2. <1:14> simply setting up and presenting himself to the QB.
3. <1:22> Great route. Stops on a dime to create significant separation for an easy TD.
4. <1:37> Willing blocking effort
5. <2:12> Subtly sets up DB for a pretty fade. Well run. Plenty of room for QB to work with. Looks to me like he instinctively throttles down a hair at the end to maintain separation between the ball and defender. DB gets his hand in but Wheaton maintains possession.
6. <4:59> Sells the fade route well to clear out the corner and aid the TD run.
7. <5:17 & replay at 5:27> Example of his awareness, reaction ability, & instincts as he subtly ducks his helmet into the defender's half-assed, one-handed jam attempt. Allows him to keep his pads over his feet and maintain forward momentum. Comes out break quickly & sharply.
8. <5:39> keeps his feet churning and maintains his block downfield for about 10 yards.
9. <5:52> Adjusts to short fade thrown over wrong shoulder. Outstanding body control, coordination, and vision to whip his head around w/o losing balance then successfully locate the ball and be in proper position to make a play. wow.
10. <6:17> Nice inside release on the go route. Great separation. Gives QB plenty of sideline to work with.
11. <6:31> Again looking for someone downfield to block
12. <6:43> Gets smacked around by the bigger guys while trying to block. I'm guessing that's NOT the first time this has happened to Wheaton at his 180'ish size.... but he still sacrifices himself as a blocker anyways.
13. <6:52> Couple things on this play. A) He absolutely destroys his corner with a subtle hesitation and go. At the tail end of the play <7:09 mark on replay> he has the awareness to reach his left hand around the safety's back and pat his shoulder to draw the PI call, all while tracking the ball.
14. <7:19> Good recognition on the reverse on where to turn it upfield for the TD.
Few things not seen in the first video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjtiPitIsgE
1. <0:11> End around. Speed & more speed. Even better is knowing to plant his foot and take it upfield rather than stretch it outside where his speed and momentum were taking him.
2. <0:45> the burst to split the defenders for a TD. stuff Bess & Hartline couldn't dream of doing. (nice catch too)
3. <1:26> Here's the extra gear I'm drooling over.... and it's to block for his fellow receiver no less.
4. <1:50> Comes back on an underthrow; becomes the defender to break up and INT.
5. <2:35> Easily beats isolated coverage for the back shoulder TD (or poorly thrown fade?). Watch his hand-usage on the replay at the 2:43 mark. Quick, accurate, hand swipe.
6. <3:35> Destroys the safety on a fade. Gives enough sideline to work with. Tracks nicely over the shoulder.
7. <4:00> End around. Bottled up. Decisively plants, lowers shoulders, and quickly gets upfield for positive yardage before defenders can set themselves.
8. <4:20> Showcases that awe-inspiring burst..... again on a downfield blocking attempt.
9. <4:33> The reason some corners won't be inclined to press him. Too quick off the line. Great arm-over to gain a nice inside release for what would've been an easy TD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIs0pFOkR74
1. <1:17> Again leaves his QB room to throw the fade and himself enough room to make the great catch.
2. Destroys his man on the subsequent post TD. Great job holding onto the ball.
There's an impressive play highlighting his hand-jockeying ability downfield that I cant find... but I'll post it once I do.
So much for keeping it short. :lol:
Chris shares my pain. lol.
IMO he would be a nice complimentary fit in our offense.... and I'd have no qualms grabbing him with our first 2nd rounder. Wheaton & Patton on the perimeter would make for a very nice duo as far as I'm concerned...... with Greg Jennings manning the slot. I believe Jennings could take Wheaton under his wing and make this kid special.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Wheaton tears it up Senior Bowl week.
He's Mike Wallace with better hands. Like Wallace, concerns over ability to run route tree should be present.
"alen1 wrote:
He's Mike Wallace with better hands. Like Wallace, concerns over ability to run route tree should be present.
Interesting comparison. I know that he's fast, but I wasn't thinking Mike Wallace speed.
"jim1 wrote:
Interesting comparison. I know that he's fast, but I wasn't thinking Mike Wallace speed.
Not necessarily as fast; the way he runs and comparison in agility or lack thereof. Wheaton is a burner but unsure if he's as fast as Wallace.
EDIT: Did research that showed he was a track star at the age of 14 and through high school. Set records.
"alen1 wrote:
Not necessarily as fast; the way he runs and comparison in agility or lack thereof. Wheaton is a burner but unsure if he's as fast as Wallace.
EDIT: Did research that showed he was a track star at the age of 14 and through high school. Set records.
Wheaton also bested DeAnthony Thomas in the 100 meters apparently.
"phinsational wrote:Is there a faster receiver this year than Wheaton?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkNSSV1NukM (the block)
I'm looking at Goodwin as a second chance to get one of my favorites from last year, Joe Adams. Or TY Hilton- I liked Adams better than Hilton last year, so far I 'm wrong about that one. Same theme, though- bring to the passing game and ST what Bess's lack of speed is taking away from it. Burst, explosion, something to threaten a defense with, loosen them up and make them less constricting. I love what Percy Harvin beings to the table- I'm not equating the two, but Goodwin is a step in the right direction imo.
"jim1 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkNSSV1NukM (the block)
I'm looking at Goodwin as a second chance to get one of my favorites from last year, Joe Adams. Or TY Hilton- I liked Adams better than Hilton last year, so far I 'm wrong about that one. Same theme, though- bring to the passing game and ST what Bess's lack of speed is taking away from it. Burst, explosion, something to threaten a defense with, loosen them up and make them less constricting. I love what Percy Harvin beings to the table- I'm not equating the two, but Goodwin is a step in the right direction imo.
Goodwin could certainly be faster. What about receivers who are more regarded as potential starters?
"phinsational wrote:
Goodwin could certainly be faster. What about receivers who are more regarded as potential starters?
Goodwin was the MVP of the UT bowl game over the weekend. Alen1 had a good thought, that Goodwin hasn't produced more because of his track focus and commitments- he's a sprinter and an Olympic long jumper. This guy strikes me as more football player than track athlete- or perhaps I should say both as to not diminish his track accomplishments. It doesn't strike me as a Skeets Nehemiah situation, as evidenced by that play where he lays out the UCLA defender.
I came across Jheranie Boyd from UNC, he looks fast. As to starters with pure speed, the top two that I can think of are Wheaton and Tavon Austin.
He is a solid receiver who is just as solid as Hopkins, Williams, and Bailey. I think he is a round 2 guy and is probably the 2nd best WR in space in this draft. I still have to look at some guys but I liked what I saw from Wheaton. What I really like about him is how physical he is in the run game. You will see him downfield blocking always.
He comes across quite humble, genuine, team-oriented, accountable, and with high character. Seems very much like a Philbin-Ireland type of player in that regard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHPZdhdOGVk
"alen1 wrote:
He's Mike Wallace with better hands. Like Wallace, concerns over ability to run route tree should be present.
the guy from 60 minutes?
thanks to VO for the sick ass sigs. 

Charlie: If you're not as educated or as informed what you do is you start your own party and you yell the loudest.
"unluckyluciano wrote:
the guy from 60 minutes?
No, the descendant of William Wallace.
"phinsational wrote:
Is there a faster receiver this year than Wheaton?
Goodwin and maybe Austin.
“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”
― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
Really like this guy, he catches well and it looks like gravity affects him less than everybody else. He was humble in that interview, but he was jawing back and forth with Desmond Trufant a couple times during the Senior Bowl practices, had Charles Davis laughing.
There are still times I get worried about Wheaton's physicality, or lack thereof, and it bugs me a little bit. But then, it was like that at first for me with Cordarrelle Patterson too. It's not like DeSean Jackson is a physical player, and that's the guy I think Markus Wheaton compares to (not Mike Wallace...different player). Maybe a cross between DeSean Jackson and Santonio Holmes. Either way he's a good player and would be a good draft pick. After the Senior Bowl, I feel more comfortable about him, and he's somewhere close to my top 5 at the position.
Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com
"ckparrothead wrote:
There are still times I get worried about Wheaton's physicality, or lack thereof, and it bugs me a little bit. But then, it was like that at first for me with Cordarrelle Patterson too. It's not like DeSean Jackson is a physical player, and that's the guy I think Markus Wheaton compares to (not Mike Wallace...different player). Maybe a cross between DeSean Jackson and Santonio Holmes. Either way he's a good player and would be a good draft pick. After the Senior Bowl, I feel more comfortable about him, and he's somewhere close to my top 5 at the position.
That's not bad.
What about a 2nd round version of Mardy Gilyard?.... (with speed, better hands, crisper route running, better understanding of the game & position, more physical, and a better & willing blocker)
I have a slight concern about his size creating a physicality issue, too..... but at least it's not like a Ted Ginn thing where he plays timid, shies from contact, and displays little ability to beat the press, ya know. He just seems like a great kid, a competitor who isn't above holding himself accountable. What he said to Truffant on that 1 on 1 route had me rolling; nice swaggar to him.
"ckparrothead wrote:
There are still times I get worried about Wheaton's physicality, or lack thereof, and it bugs me a little bit. But then, it was like that at first for me with Cordarrelle Patterson too. It's not like DeSean Jackson is a physical player, and that's the guy I think Markus Wheaton compares to (not Mike Wallace...different player). Maybe a cross between DeSean Jackson and Santonio Holmes. Either way he's a good player and would be a good draft pick. After the Senior Bowl, I feel more comfortable about him, and he's somewhere close to my top 5 at the position.
Patterson made me think of Holmes, and I agree about Wheaton being similar to Jackson.
“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”
― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
He looks like he can hit top speed very quickly , the phins could use this.
"phinsational wrote:
That's not bad.
What about a 2nd round version of Mardy Gilyard?.... (with speed, better hands, crisper route running, better understanding of the game & position, more physical, and a better & willing blocker)I have a slight concern about his size creating a physicality issue, too..... but at least it's not like a Ted Ginn thing where he plays timid, shies from contact, and displays little ability to beat the press, ya know. He just seems like a great kid, a competitor who isn't above holding himself accountable. What he said to Truffant on that 1 on 1 route had me rolling; nice swaggar to him.
Mardy Gilyard comes to mind at times but I think it's mostly how he looks physically not how he plays. He's faster than Mardy and runs routes a lot better.
Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com
I heard good things about this kid and I liked the little I saw of him at the Senior Bowl. Cordarelle Patterson and Markus Wheaton would make me a happy camper.
"ckparrothead wrote:
Mardy Gilyard comes to mind at times but I think it's mostly how he looks physically not how he plays. He's faster than Mardy and runs routes a lot better.
yeah I guess if I need to add on like 5 extra attributes then it's not such a good comparison to begin with. :lol: