1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

March Madness

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by 305, Mar 18, 2013.

1. 305

305 Brawndo Club Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Get off my lawn.
    Upsets, lets hear them...

Right now I have my Final Four set up as Louisville, Ohio St, VCU, Indiana.

2. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    UNC all the way!

I wish. I like Davidson to upset Marquette.

huskerfin and Starry31 like this.
  3. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    My upset is that my Lobos beat OSU.

Should be an interesting dance. No clear #1. More like a dozen teams that are all solid.

305 likes this.
  4. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    I know who WON'T be making any upsets.

ANY teams from Texas....never happened before and I am loving it!!!

5. 305

305 Brawndo Club Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Get off my lawn.
    No joke. It'll be fun to watch, but I guarantee my bracket will be shot come Round 3 :lol:

6. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Yeah, no biggie. That's me each and every year.

I gotta tell you, nothing but LOTS of respect for Louisville....but something just tells me......they get knocked off early.

7. 305

305 Brawndo Club Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Get off my lawn.
    By who though? I just don't see it till Duke, and then it's a toss up.

8. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007

Oh, I don't know. Both Colorado State and the Billikens are going to give them ALL they can handle. Michigan State? Those are some tough teams.

Colorado State is the leading rebounding team in the Nation. They are VERY well coached and fairly deep. Also tough defensively..and that's always important come TOurney time.

9. Starry31

Starry31 Phins and Heels.

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Was hoping for a 7 seed and not an 8/9 to avoid having to play a 1 the next game; Kansas will be tough.

10. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    I can see Wisconsin making a deep run

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

azfinfanmang and finyank13 like this.
  11. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Yep, Wisconsin is gonna be a tough match up, especially for the bigger contemporary teams. However, the smaller running teams will eat those big white guys up. They got stuck in a tough place. I think they will really struggle against Oklahoma State and especially Gonzaga.

12. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    That wouldnr be an upset, New Mexcio is very good.....

my upsets in the 1st round are Oregon, and Minnesota....I have a few 10's beating 7's but those arent really upsets...

azfinfanmang likes this.
  13. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Well, Michigan's best players are small, fast and black and that didnt work out too well for them.

With Wisconsin you basically get to 55 points you're likely gonna win, sounds easier than it is though.

14. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    OSU only needed.50 yesterday, but I get the point.

Me-she-gan is an odd bird. On paper they are unbeatable......but only on paper

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  15. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Shhhhhh...nobody East of the Mississippi is supposed to know about my alma-matter. How many people in New York even realize New Mexico is a State not a Country?????

Steve Alford is a defensive wizard. They have great guard play, and two very good bigs in Alex Kirk and the big Aussie, and go 4 or 5 deep on the bench every night.

They actually have 2 Aussies on the team. Cameron Barstow and Hugh Greenwood.

16. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Yea but there aren't many defensive teams like Ohio State in the country.

:knucks:

azfinfanmang likes this.
  17. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    College Basketball

[​IMG]

18. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    March Madness is awesome, regardless if my team is playing or not.

Boik14, finyank13 and azfinfanmang like this.
  19. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie

Yeah, Nova will have their hands full....

20. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    UM wins it all. ESPN's entire staff commits Seppuku on live television. The whole country cheers and deems this a national holiday.
    Except Boston, but **** Boston.

Ozzy and MikeHoncho like this.
  21. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Heat in 5.

22. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Nothing like watching a bunch of kids shoot threes from kindergarten range.

23. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Fear the Roo!

finyank13 and azfinfanmang like this.
  24. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Been working on my bracket off and on this afternoon. Really tough to fill this one out this year as there just aren't clear-cut teams in any of the regions. Here's what I've got thus far:

• Midwest: I'm not sold on Louisville, who I think is actually the weakest #1 team in the tournament. I'm also not high on Duke, who seems to go deep every year but has been sort of up and down this year. It's tough for me to pick them to do any damage. I've got Valparaiso over Michigan State in a big upset, and I've got Memphis in the Sweet 16, though I'm debating on reversing those picks. My pick? St. Louis, who I think is underrated as a #4 seed and poised for upsets over Louisville and Duke en route to the Final Four. In fact, I've got them all the way to the National Championship game.
    • West: Probably the toughest region to pick, with every team from 1 to 5 capable of making a run to the Final Four. I've got Kansas State over Wisconsin in Round 2, in a game I think will go a long way towards determining what happens in the rest of the region (and a great matchup) - because either way I don't see Gonzaga making it to the Elite Eight. I like Belmont in an upset over Arizona, as well as Iowa State over Notre Dame. New Mexico is an intriguing team, but I think the winner of this region is Ohio State, who should dispatch both the Lobos and the Wildcats on their way to Atlanta.
    • South: Spoiler Alert: I'm picking Kansas all the way to the National Championship, but not just because I'm a huge fan of the Jayhawks. KU is capable of beating any team in the tournament, but they also have a tendency to get lost on offense. A lot of this will depend on the bench. At some point KU's bigs will get in foul trouble, so it will come down to how much progress Perry Ellis shows; if he continues his torrid play then he provides a much needed option off the bench. Otherwise this is a team that could easily flame out early, maybe even as early as Round 2 to UNC, which I think is the most exciting possible matchup of this region. I do think this is a region that will get hit with upsets; Michigan and UCLA both go home early. From there it's more straightforward - I've got Florida over Georgetown to get to the Elite Eight but I'm not a fan of either team. An argument could be made that this is the weakest region in the whole thing.
    • East: I've got Bucknell and Davidson playing in Round 2, which should tell you how I feel about this region. I do have Miami all the way to the Elite Eight, but I'll be watching their Round 2 matchup closely. It wouldn't shock me to see them lose to Illinois/Colorado in Round 2 (I'm taking Illinois). With Marquette and Butler out of the picture early, this becomes all about Indiana, who I have in the Final Four after victories over Syracuse and Miami. Honestly, if I wasn't picking KU all the way the Hoosiers would be my pick to win it all.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  25. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    You lost me Nordic God. Ohio State won't face both Arizona and New Mexico?

Oh, and no way they get past my beloved (I'm saying this tongue in cheek. IF the Lobo's actually make it past Ohio State, it will be the biggest sports thing in New Mexico since Brian Urlacher......or Luc Longley....strangely, another UNM-Aussie connection.)

True fact. While in New Mexico, Luc Longley met and wed a native New Mexican. After he went on to a succesfull NBA Career (He's the one that made Michael Jordan play good :shifty:) he and his beloved started a business venture down under. They now grow and harvest the New Mexican favorite fruit of Green Chili and sell it all across Europe...

Vengeful Odin likes this.
  26. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    New Mexico is actually a damn good team. Wouldn't really be a big upset IMO.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  27. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I never understood why some Iowa fans hated Alford so much... he seems to be doing well at UNM, they're always making the NCAA tournament nowadays. Iowa is starting to turn their basketball program around though (they were actually competitive this year) so there's hope.

28. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Kansas State Wildcats ... who I have going all the way to the Elite 8. The potential K-State / Wisconsin is the game of the region, for me. It's going to be a defensive slugfest and I could easily see it coming down to the last possession.

I like Wisconsin but I give the edge to Kansas State ... they have just enough to get it done against the Badgers.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  29. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I love them, I have watched a bunch of their games this year.....I am a CBB honk....if they don't know about NM they are into it lol.....

azfinfanmang likes this.
  30. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Same reason most of us Dolphin fans hate Saban (at least I do)
    The LOBOS have won the very tough MWC 5 of the last 6 years since he went there.
    There are ALWAYS Iowa fans trolling Lobo boards and hating on Alford.
    His oldest son is currently on the team but being a true Freshman, riding the end of the bench. His next son is playing at La Cueva high in Albuquerque and re-writing all the State scoring records my friend Alex Kirk set a few years ago.
    LOBOS will only be losing 3 players next year, and none are starters. Alford has done an incredible job of recruiting. Stealing players from Arizona, UCLA, USC, SDSU etc etc etc.....

31. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    After thinking about the bracket last night, I've rescinded my pick of Kansas in the South, instead going with Florida. I think KU is capable of beating the Gators, but honestly I'm not 100% sure that they can get there to play them. They're going to face a very good Nova or UNC team in the second round, and both VCU and Michigan match up favorably against them.

So my revised Final 4 becomes Indiana (1), Ohio State (2), Florida (3), and St. Louis (4). Seems as likely as any other scenario to play out. Since I'm not picking the Hawks I've got the Hoosiers over St. Louis in the title game.

byroan likes this.
  32. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    That's pretty creepy. I have the same final four and championship outcome. I have VCU beating Kansas.

33. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    You guys are sleeping on GTOWN in that region, they arent a joke (CK smiles)....Nova is weak this year...

34. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    :pity:

I can't wait for Akron to bust your bracket.

:tongue2:

finyank13 likes this.
  35. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Akron would have an easier time with Michigan than they would VCU.....

poor bastards got the second worst draw next to Oklahoma St getting Oregon...honorable mention for crap luck goes to UCLA as they got Minny...

36. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    I said yesterday I thought that the region was the weakest, mostly because teams like KU, Florida, and even Georgetown all have "Fatal Flaws". I've seen brackets with seeds 1-5 all advancing. So maybe weakest isn't the best descriptor - perhaps unpredictable would be better.

Aside from Indiana there isn't a 1 seed i really like. Aside from Ohio State there isn't a 2 seed I really like, and that's mostly because they're in Gonzaga's bracket. Duke is Duke, and that's all well and good, but I don't get the sense that they're in for a long tournament run like in years past. Wouldn't shock me though.

finyank13 likes this.
  37. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    The West is the weakest...even all the networks are saying it....mainly because of Zaga...

haha VO I love this time of year....can never get the same answer...

38. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Nah, Akron would have an easier time if their PG (and arguably 2nd most important player) didn't get busted for drug trafficking right before the conference tourney.

finyank13 likes this.
  39. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010

Well that goes without saying my friend....hey but at least the soccer team won it all last year!!!!

40. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Only to have the coach leave for an MLS job this year. :lol:

finyank13 likes this.