1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mallett plunges to the Pats in round three

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by miamiron, Apr 29, 2011.

1. electrolyte

electrolyte New Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Ryan Mallett goes to Patriots

you can start crying about it now

2. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Yup. Because the Patriots get it and we don't. Plain and simple. They didn't even need a QB but understand the value of QBs in this league. They'll develop him and deal him. And we'll have a mediocre RB on a less than mediocre team that won't go anywhere.

Mongo, DolfanJake, Phins28 and 6 others like this.
  3. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Where he will haunt us for years!

4. Abbi Normal

Abbi Normal Banned

Mar 5, 2010
    unf***king believable

God do we Suck

5. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    This turn of events, for me, is worse than the Ginn pick.

6. Vinny Fins

Vinny Fins Feisty Brooklyn dolfan ️‍

Oct 26, 2009
    Bklyn
    He is a ****ing nut, though.

7. UCFinfan86

UCFinfan86 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    and pats just traded their 3rd and 4th for the raiders #2 next year. They now have 2 1st and 2 2nds next year

dolfan32323 likes this.
  8. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    It gets better...they just traded a 3rd and a 4th this year for Oakland's 2nd next year, giving them two 1's and two 2's for next year (so far).

The rich get s richer and the poor get poorer.

No one works a draft better than BB. No one.

dolfan32323 likes this.
  9. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Pats just going to use him for trade bait Belicheat is a pro at it.

10. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Great minds think alike, eh UCF? :knucks:

11. PhinPhanatic

PhinPhanatic New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Typical of both teams. We need one and dont take him rather trade up for a RB and they dont need one and trade down to take him (the highest rated QB on their board according to ESPN). Unreal. Time to clean house in the FO, coaches etc. Right now we should have Harbough as coach with Pouncey blocking for Mallett as he develops under a great QB coach, with D Williams on his way once the CBA is up...... alas no

12. Abbi Normal

Abbi Normal Banned

Mar 5, 2010
    Buffoons

Sorry I'm venting

It's like somebody is paying these guys to f**k up.

Dolphins have turned into a heart breaker without even a moment to find some kind of "real" excitement

Stick a fork in us we're done............

13. DolfanTom

DolfanTom Livin' and Dyin' w/ Ryan!

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Are you people forgetting that FA hasn't happened yet. We could still get Kolb, Palmer, even possibly Orten. We're not done by any stretch, so all this doomsday, "we're done" speak is a bit premature if you ask me.

And I take a different look at the Pats taking Mallet .... kind of a wasted pick for them if you ask me. Mallet won't play for years, and he took the place of a pick they could have made who could've played right away.

14. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    lol. i cant take it anymore

15. Ophinerated

Ophinerated Preposterous!

Apr 1, 2008
    Yes, but they will groom him and move him for more picks, like they did with Cassel.

DolfanJake likes this.
  16. DolfanTom

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Oh, I get that, but in the short-term, they miss out on a chance to get better right now, w/ Brady still in his prime. And what if Mallet sucks after all?

Just sayn' I don't think this pick is as brilliant as it seems. I did want us to take him, though, it's not like I'm a Mallet hater by any stretch.

17. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    It's like passing on Brady Quinn all over again, except of course that the rest of the league had an even lower opinion of Mallett.

ToddsPhins and unluckyluciano like this.
  18. Ophinerated

Apr 1, 2008
    I guess the way I see it, it was a luxury pick for them (god I wish we could get some of those) so the gamble is worth it for them.

DolfanJake likes this.
  19. hazed819

hazed819 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Ryan_Mallett_8.jpg

The next phin killer :/

Not liking this one bit, us stuck with 1 half henne and the pats with prospect in the oven.

Dont like it one bit

20. Makados10

Makados10 Active Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Yep Mallet is insurance for the Patriots in case Brady goes down again or like Bledsoe did when Brady got his shot.

21. ATLFINFAN

ATLFINFAN Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007

I dont see this as a wasted pick.........it is an investment. A CHEAP investment. You can only afford so many first round picks in any given year. THIS way........they can have a first round TALENT.........and pay him 3rd round talent, and then trade him for a first rounder to use on someone they REALLY can use..................whatabummer

Ophinerated likes this.
  22. PhinPhanatic

PhinPhanatic New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Why not get a RB in FA then and draft a 1st rd QB talent in the 3rd?? Instead we trade up for a position that most feel can be filled with later rd talent. How many teams do well with 1st rd QB talent and later rd RB talent vs a 1st rd RB (brown) and later rd QB talent (henne)? And dont bring up NO because Brees was practically 1st rd. Just seems sooo dumb.

23. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    As bad as this draft has been, wouldn't surprise me if it's payback from Sparano to Ross. Should be fun watching the Patriots run train on the division for years to come after Brady retires, while we continue to blow because we're too ****ing stupid to realize how important a QB is.

DolfanJake and MonstBlitz like this.
  24. DolfanTom

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    But barring another long Brady injury, Mallet will never play, so how will anyone trade them a 1st rounder, when nobody would even take him till the third this year? How will anyone know if he's really any good.

I could be wrong, but I do know this - he won't be helping them this year, and that was a wasted opportunity for them. Sure, they need a QB of the future someday if they want him for that, but I don't see Brady stopping anytime soon.

25. Deus ex dolphin

Deus ex dolphin Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Or if they like what they see in Mallet? Why not look at moving Brady in 2013 for two first rounders, when he will be nearing 36? I hope Mallet busts for them, but the Pats could set themselves up for another decade of playoffs and Super Bowl hunts.

Ophinerated likes this.
  26. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    I just have a feeling the Front Office and more so Tony Sparano is scared for their jobs and are doing whatever possible to save their jobs. Yes, these moves will help us out a lot this year, but not that much down the road. I thought Ireland was good at finding late value picks especially at HB, I wonder if he doesn't have faith in himself or what's up? Its really frustrating the Pats got Mallett though.

27. Ophinerated

Apr 1, 2008
    Or if they do go that route next year, that would give them 4 first round picks... they could even move in to get Luck, while pretending to like what they have in Mallet. The picks they stock-pile give them so many damn options.

28. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Wasted pick? LOL. He's going to learn behind one of the best all time, then, when Brady retires, they'll get another decade of great QB play. What a ****ing smart team. Yet here we are, don't even give 2 ****s about the most important position on a football team. This team is run by a bunch of ****ing losers. Literally, losers, because that's all that's going to happen to this team next year before these clowns get canned.

jdang307 and electrolyte like this.
  29. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    It's so true. They will attempt to develop Mallet and if it eventually doesn't happen regardless if he plays or not they will get better value in a trade from someone.
    Wash, rinse, repeat.

30. DolfanTom

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Mallet could be the next Ryan Leaf for all we know - I'm on record saying it's a wasted pick, we'll see eventually I guess. I liked Mallet, but there's a reason he went in the third and not the first. He is slow as hell too!

I just don't see this as the "brilliant" pick everyone else does. They could've gotten someone that could help them now, while Brady is still in his prime, and they didn't. That's why I call it a wasted pick. Do I wish we drafted a QB? Hell yes, but let's see what our guys do in FA or trades before we jump to conclusions. If we get a Palmer or Kolb, this draft suddenly is brilliant for us.

31. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    In an interview on NFL network right now -

Jeff Ireland - take notes.

32. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    your theory is flawed by one fact. Mallett was their 5th pick. They already added 4 players to contribute before him. Are you forgetting that the Pats have 2 agendas at the draft.

1. Acquire picks for next year. (This gives them more flexibility to move up and down to avoid reaching to pick for need. They can pick whenever they feel like it. If they don't see someone they like. they call up their buddies in Oakland and trade for their best picks in next years draft.)

2. Add players. (Occasionally the Patriots will like someone available at their pick, and will draft them.)

Rhody Phins Fan and Ophinerated like this.
  33. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Yes, that reason is he experimented with drugs, and can be considered a douche. He has first round talent easily. Obviously, this moronic FO isn't interested in QB's with first round talent. They might actually win them games!

34. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Mediocre RB based on what? All those snaps he's had in the NFL? He surely was much better than average in college.

35. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Should anything suprise us anymore?

dolfan32323 likes this.
  36. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    What if New England has every draft room in the NFL bugged with a wire? How else could they always find the right deal? It pisses me off. No one else even comes close to matching their level of superiority at the draft.

Ophinerated likes this.
  37. DolfanTom

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Reading a lot of good stuff about Thomas from Kiper and co. Kiper really likes him apparently.

38. DolfanTom

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Well, they could've had five that could actually play next year instead of four. Look, I could be very wrong here, it's just my little ole' opinion. It was the first thing I thought of when I saw him picked, and I'm sticking w/ it.

Granted, I wanted him when we traded into the 2nd, but that's life I guess. But unlike for the Pats, we could've possibly used him THIS year.

Ophinerated likes this.
  39. Ophinerated

Apr 1, 2008
    I respect your opinion and thank you for your thoughts. However, I don't think we have to staff the effectively groom a QB... I really don't. I think us drafting Mallet would have just devalued him in a year or two anyway. That's just my opinion.

EDIT: At least, as of now, Virgil Green is still on the board, thankfully. I hope he makes it to us tomorrow.

DolfanTom likes this.