Making the playoffs not such a long shot for Miami Dolphins

38 replies

TiP54TiP54New MemberOP
Nov 22, 2009, 10:11 PM

Pretty good read

MiamiHerald wrote:

One week ago, Dolphins coach Tony Sparano did something normally shunned by the coaching community at any level of any sport: He looked past his next game.
This was no accident, either. It was not an impatient, overexcited reaction to the schedule ahead, but rather a strategic motivational tactic used to make his players realize how much could change in a short window of time.
``I don't normally do that,'' Sparano said. ``You know me better than that. We did talk about how we could change things in six days, and I think it really is a heck of a thing, because we could be sitting here today at 3-7 right now.''

Clark KentClark KentForum Veteran
Nov 22, 2009, 11:38 PM

Realistically, I don't think we have a shot at the playoffs. I don't think we have the talent on offense (specifically the Oline, WR, and TE) and our best NT is dunzo, we can't stop the run, and our secondary still has two rookie corners starting.

We're a young team who can get better and better as time goes on, but for now we're treading water. The losses this team has against winning teams is heartbreaking but they're exactly why we can't get ahead. Last year we did everything right it seemed. Smart football combined with making enough plays to win. This year we're not making enough plays to win.

anlgpanlgpNew Member
Nov 22, 2009, 11:50 PM

"Clark Kent wrote:

Realistically, I don't think we have a shot at the playoffs. I don't think we have the talent on offense (specifically the Oline, WR, and TE) and our best NT is dunzo, we can't stop the run, and our secondary still has two rookie corners starting.

:confused2:

"A man's suffering is similar to the behavior of gas. If a certain quantity of gas is pumped into an empty chamber, it will fill the chamber completely and evenly, no matter how big the chamber. Thus, suffering completely fills the human soul and conscious mind, no matter whether the suffering great or little. Therefore, the "size" of human suffering is absolutely relative." - Viktor Frankl

GISHGISHForum Veteran
Nov 22, 2009, 11:53 PM

"Clark Kent wrote:

Realistically, I don't think we have a shot at the playoffs. I don't think we have the talent on offense (specifically the Oline, WR, and TE) and our best NT is dunzo, we can't stop the run, and our secondary still has two rookie corners starting.

We're a young team who can get better and better as time goes on, but for now we're treading water. The losses this team has against winning teams is heartbreaking but they're exactly why we can't get ahead. Last year we did everything right it seemed. Smart football combined with making enough plays to win. This year we're not making enough plays to win.

yeah, but if we beat buffalo and new england, and the saints beat the pats next week, then we are the division leaders with 4 games remaining.

XTxTuNa FiSHxNew Member
Nov 23, 2009, 12:34 AM

Basicaly a quick breadown here.

We beat Buf this week we go 6-5 ....we hope the Pats lose and go to 7-4...Then the big game with the pats...we win that we would both be 7-5 and therefore have a better divison record and lead.

As for the wildcard...both 5 and 6 seeds are at 6-4 (DEN AND PITT) ...Pitt plays bmore with a possible benless team next week. Hou plays Tenn 2marrow night which could very well be a trap game and a loss for them. All I know is Jags hou Pitt all the wildcard contenders we play basicaly and control our own destiny! I was one of the biggest Penny supporters and Henne has sold me like no other, I guess you can say I have bought into the hype but LETS GO PHINS!

Clark KentClark KentForum Veteran
Nov 23, 2009, 01:55 AM

"anlgp wrote:

:confused2:

The O-line isn't that good... They've shined at times, but they've been inconsistent this year. At least from where I'm watching.

JajJajNew Member
Nov 23, 2009, 01:57 AM

What's been inconsistent about the offensive line? They've faced heavy fronts. Three of their players are among the best in the league and the other two (guards) are about average. That's pretty good. You can't dominate one every play.

They're one of the best lines in the league and they rarely get credit for it. Our WRs on the other hand are called out but in fact should be thrown to the dumpster for how bad they've been.

Positions like O-Line and CB tend to get a ridiculous amount of flack they don't deserve because they protect, they don't attack. This offensive line is by FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR the best we've had since at least the 2000 line led by Mark Dixon.

Bring this man back into the fold if you want some real leadership on this team.

MonstBlitzMonstBlitzForum Veteran
Nov 23, 2009, 07:59 AM

"Clark Kent wrote:

Realistically, I don't think we have a shot at the playoffs. I don't think we have the talent on offense (specifically the Oline, WR, and TE) and our best NT is dunzo, we can't stop the run, and our secondary still has two rookie corners starting.

We're a young team who can get better and better as time goes on, but for now we're treading water. The losses this team has against winning teams is heartbreaking but they're exactly why we can't get ahead. Last year we did everything right it seemed. Smart football combined with making enough plays to win. This year we're not making enough plays to win.

You might be right. But I'd rather be wrong in being overoptimistic about our playoff chances than be right about not making the playoffs. A lot of people on this board ended up eating a lot of crow last year by stating matter of factly when we were 2-4 that we were NOT going to make the playoffs.

Rick 1966Rick 1966Forum Veteran
Nov 23, 2009, 08:04 AM

I don't particularly want to make the playoffs unless we have a chance to at least win a game. I've seen enough one and dones.

ZodZodNew Member
Nov 23, 2009, 09:08 AM

There are more holes in this team than a bar of swiss cheese but I will take every opportunity to see this young team that can possibly be provided. There is hope for this group.

JMORGAN6977JMORGAN6977New Member
Nov 23, 2009, 09:29 AM

"Rick 1966 wrote:

I don't particularly want to make the playoffs unless we have a chance to at least win a game. I've seen enough one and dones.

I will take an AFC East Championship any way any year! If that means we have to lose a playoff game to get it.......Oh Well?

xphinfanxxphinfanxForum Veteran
Nov 23, 2009, 09:47 AM

Play off poll on nfl.com
Asking which team you think has the best shot at playoffs.
I picked Dolphins and results where.

Dolphins 5-5 12%
Steelers 6-4 69%
Jaguars 6-4 10%
Broncos 6-4 9%

That's why they play the games!:yes:

MonstBlitzMonstBlitzForum Veteran
Nov 23, 2009, 09:51 AM

"Rick 1966 wrote:

I don't particularly want to make the playoffs unless we have a chance to at least win a game. I've seen enough one and dones.

With all due respect, what does this even mean? Are you saying if you could know we would lose the game before hand you would cheer for them to NOT make the playoffs?

Or are you saying if it doesn't seem like we could win the first game you would cheer for us not to make the playoffs?

Either way, how could you ever hope for our team to not make the playoffs? How do you determine what it is to have a "chance" to win one game? Any team has a chance to win one game. Do you remember the Giants in 2007? Snuck into the playoffs, the underdog in every game, and they have nothing but a superbowl trophy to show for it?

In absence of a crystal ball, I can't imagine any scenario where you should wish your team to not make the playoffs. Just because they might not win? Based on that logic sounds like you hope they never make the playoffs. In that case maybe you should cheer for the Jets?

kryptokryptoNew Member
Nov 23, 2009, 10:55 AM

"JMORGAN6977 wrote:

I will take an AFC East Championship any way any year! If that means we have to lose a playoff game to get it.......Oh Well?

Then whats the point?

rafaelrafaelForum Veteran
Nov 23, 2009, 12:20 PM

It's easy to look at our team and see their deficiencies. But the reality is that every team has holes.

The best team we face is NE, but it's a division game. Most years we split with them regardless of who the better team is.

Pitt would be the next best team but without Polamalu they're 2-4. And now they may also be without Big Ben.

Houston would be next and we've never beaten them but we get them at home and they lost their star TE. I wouldn't be shocked if either team wins.

Tennessee and Jax are the type of grind it out teams we match up well against. They've been playing well but so have we.

Buffalo we should beat.

Now I'm sure I could come up with a similar list of reasons why we could lose every game so I'm not saying we're a lock for the playoffs or anything. My point is simply that we have as good of chance as anybody so we don't have a shot is pessimistic and inaccurate.

And even if I don't believe we'll go far in the playoffs I want my team and more specifically my young QB to get that experience. We're building a very good team here and that experience will be invaluable going forward.

Dolfan984Dolfan984Forum Veteran
Nov 23, 2009, 12:35 PM

"krypto wrote:

Then whats the point?

hmm lets see

playoff experience for henee, davis, smith, and hartline for starters.

you don't see where that could be very valuable in the future?

Ricky Williams - "I will always be a Dolphin."

King FelixKing FelixSupporter
Nov 23, 2009, 12:38 PM

if big ben cant play, dennis dixon will start for the steelers....that should be a loss for pit, cuz he will suck...

PHPHINANALYSTForum Veteran
Nov 23, 2009, 12:57 PM

are we better now than when we played SD & INDY ... less RBs injury - yes ...

do we still have the same flaws ... yes, LB & WR ... which can't be fixed.

are we in a good position to make the playoffs ... yes, because for all intents and purposes we 'control' our own fate. IF we win out, we'd likely win the DIV ... IF we only lose to NE, we can still win the WC - since we will have to beat most of our competition head to head.

are we a SB team, no ... but i always want to see the team do as well as possible ... 2 DIV championships in a row with the PATSIES is a pretty good haul right now.

Big RedBig RedNew Member
Nov 23, 2009, 01:24 PM

Not only are we in the playoff hunt. If we win the division we could get a first round bye.

"Football is back!"
-Roger Goodell

Rick 1966Rick 1966Forum Veteran
Nov 23, 2009, 02:11 PM

"MonstBlitz wrote:

With all due respect, what does this even mean? Are you saying if you could know we would lose the game before hand you would cheer for them to NOT make the playoffs?

Or are you saying if it doesn't seem like we could win the first game you would cheer for us not to make the playoffs?

No, it means I won't be excited about just making the playoffs unless we can at least win a playoff game.

finsgirliefinsgirlieLuxury Box
Nov 23, 2009, 02:18 PM

I get the whole one and done, but I'd still rather make the playoffs to show we still have what it takes to get there. We've had a pretty decent conference this year (minus the bills lol) so if we just focus on getting done what needs to be done the next couple weeks I think we can not only get in, but at least squeak by in the first round.

adamprez2003adamprez2003Forum Veteran
Nov 23, 2009, 02:47 PM

this thread really should be posted in two weeks. six weeks to go is a bit early to even care about the playoffs. lets see if we can beat the bills and patriots first before we start talking.



2019 DRAFT WISH LIST
1) DT Dexter Lawrence - Clemson
2) DE Jaylon Ferguson - Lousiana Tech
3) OG Chris Lindstrom - Boston College
4) CB Amani Oruwariye - Penn State
5) DE Shareef Miller - Penn State
7) C Sean Krepcz - Nevada
7) RB Wes Hills - Slippery Rock

Reporter: "Why did you fire Coach Gase?"
Ross: "Because he wants to win now"

DaFishDaFishForum Veteran
Nov 23, 2009, 03:07 PM

"krypto wrote:

Then whats the point?

What's the point of wishing your team doesn't win their division?

Nappy RootsNappy RootsForum Veteran
Nov 23, 2009, 03:10 PM

Am I missing something? If we can beat the pats and bills we win the division based on division record, correct?

GARDENHEADGARDENHEADSupporter
Nov 23, 2009, 03:40 PM

When we won the division last year, I bought a t-shirt that says "2008 Division Champs". I ordered a Medium, but it was ill-fitting.

I want us to win the division so that I can get a new t-shirt.

Tanking is like taking a Greyhound bus cross-country. Sure, it may eventually get you where you want to go, but it’s messy and unpleasant and uncomfortable, it stinks, the entire time you’ll be wishing you weren’t there, and not everybody along for the ride is going to make it to the end. - Quote stolen from Deadspin