1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

make or break

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by anlgp, Aug 7, 2009.

Tags:
  1. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

what will make or break this draft for you? how many picks do you need to have out of this (or any) draft for it to be a success?

for me i want at least a CB and a WR seeing as that's what A) we took high and B) we took double of. Clemons would be an added bonus.

That's bare minimum.

Pat White as long as he can do what he is strong at I will be satisfied. I don't think he was brought in to be an every down QB. I think he was brought in for a QB/WR. The QB he will be playing will be specialized to his needs (we are seeing the coaching staff slim down his playbook now) and will only get heavier when he's grasped his strengths. If needed he'll fill in but I think they hope it doesn't come to that.

How bout you guys?

Kanye West likes this.
  2. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    if smith and vontae turn out to be great for us I think the draft will be a success since cb has been a glaring weakness for us.

anlgp likes this.
  3. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    I would have to agree with Lucky CB has been a weak spot for us for a while now. It seems like the last time we had good CB's is when we had Patrick Surtain, Sam Knight, and Brock Marion. But one thing I dont understand about this draft is that why did we drafted Pat White? At frist I was all for it but now it kind of seems like why did we do that. I mean I hope he does well but it kind of seems as of right now he will be a wildcat qb and nothing else I have not heard of him lining up as wide reciver or anything like that(I also have not read a lot about TC yet so I dont know).

anlgp likes this.
  4. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I believe the league average is just under or over 40% so I would want something around that number, the higher the better of course. We had nine picks in this draft I believe so if my math is right, we should target at least four (44%)of the nine picks to work out. What four could we see work out? In my opinion, its Vontae Davis, Patrick Turner, Andrew Gardner, and Sean Smith. I think if I had to pick four, it would be those four from the draft class.

Vontae Davis had some issues in college ranging from his attitude (which may or may not have been blown out of proportion) to coverage issues but overall, he's well built, has the physical ability to be a factor and still attacks the ball well downhill. Patrick Turner may work out or he may not because he did have consistency issues in college and you still don't want to put that past him despite what he's done in camp. However, I do think he will be a contributor on this team in some way, whether it be as a number one, two or slot. Andrew Gardner may have been a later pick but he's a quality player that had not he gotten injured and ruined by Georgia Tech's option offense, probably would have gone a couple rounds higher IMO. He could be a good backup OT in my opinion. Last, some believe Sean Smith has issues with his hips as his COD skills may not be the quickest. Honestly, I've watched him on tape and the biggest issue that I've seen with him is when the opposition will run a double move on him, he gets a bit lost in coverage at times. Watch that game against Alabama where he was matched up against Julio Jones, the star flanker of Bama. He gave Jones a lot of cushion, I mean a lot, probably around ten to fifteen yards and there's one play where Jones runs an inside move to the first down marker and then bounces it out. Smith's head is on a swivel but he's having trouble changing directions and Jones is wide open for the catch. You see a play like that and then you wonder if he's going to make it as a starter at the next level? But the next play down, Smith jams Jones at the line and runs with him stride for stride down the left sideline and swats the ball away at the last second to prevent Jones from scoring a touchdown. His length came into play on that down. Later in the game, he gets beat by the slot receiver when he tries to jam him at the line but misses the receiver because his first step is too quick for him and then he has to play catch up; he turns on the jets, shows his recovery speed and swats the ball away in the middle of the end zone to prevent the touchdown. My point is there are some games where Smith is inconsistent but in the end, I think he's got the tools to develop into a quality cornerback, whether it be a starter or third cornerback.

If there's additional guys who I could see panning out and being a factor on this team, it would probably be Chris Clemons. I think his experience in the newly implemented Quarters coverage helps him a lot. He's a banger, he can cover pretty well and he's fast. Pat White is a maybe, Hartline is a maybe, Nalbone is a maybe to a lesser degree, and Folsom has a lot going against him IMO.

What makes or breaks this draft for me is simply getting production out of these guys at the need spots like cornerback, offensive line depth and wide receiver. Those three positions are very important in today's game in my opinion, especially considering the amount of injuries there are as well as the evolving passing game.

The Aqua Crush, Anonymous and anlgp like this.