1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Madden 12: Video Reviews from Gamespot, Gametrailers, and IGN

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by Tone_E, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    The premise is the same. They are saying that game has made no major advancement whatsoever, and both have even gone as far as saying they didn't even address existing bugs and that there are more bugs in this game. Gamespot, usually a biased organization when it comes to reviews gives this one a 7.5.

HOWEVER, before you guys get your panties in a knot, they do say that the base game is still excellent, and a great football game, and it is difficult to make major advances on top of a solid game that has been refined over the years.

Oh, I can't believe that XBox gets better graphics than PS3 (end part of Gametrailers review)? I have PS3 and feel slighted, plus now I gotta listen to all the Xbox fanboys!! :lol:

I am getting this regardless. In case a few of you are on the fence, here you go;

GAMETRAILERS:
    [video=youtube;_bympIygoK0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bympIygoK0[/video]

GAMESPOT:
    [video=youtube;U3WfzgzaCKQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3WfzgzaCKQ[/video]

IGN:
    [video=youtube;f9d9rmDRE4A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9d9rmDRE4A[/video]

Ultimately, I think this franchise is taking steps in the right direction. They just have to refine some areas of gameplay. But, we say that every year and there seems to be overlap of issues. They did address tackling, which is NICE though.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  2. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    I think thats the bottom line of the thinking for this monopoly! Would like to see some improvements (bugs and glitches) but at the end of the day, they have no pressure to improve as long as they make the band-aid look pretty.

3. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    They have a monopoly on adhesive bandages I guess?

:tongue2:

MikeHoncho and BigDogsHunt like this.
  4. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    Yes and no. Last year's director of Madden 11, or whoever was heading the project, was released. Unless he was just the fall boy for a company making excuses, there is at least some motivation by the individual dev teams to do a good job. Especially since EA has many dev teams across the world vying for a shot at Madden.

The only question is, what can they do in a limited amount of time, on a limited budget. Essentially, that is the problem. EA should hire someone to develop a new engine for Madden 13 while another studio is making Madden 12 as usual.

So yes, really, they don't care. :)

5. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Sure, some years will be nice strides, and I love the game regardless of the minor bugs/glitches, but just saying what we all feel...they can let the bugs and glitches remain and simply improve other less important "band-aid look and feel" features ;) since they have no other competition for a solid football offering.

I still wish EA Sports would incorporate the INSIDE THE HELMET feature (even just coming out of the tunnel in that mode was amazing..hahaha). That was so cool to be the running back or punt returner, kick returner.

6. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    For me, custom playbooks and being able to trade future picks are big upgrades. I enjoy building the team more than most. I also didn't get Madden 11 (I have Madden 10), so I'm really looking forward to this one.

GISH likes this.
  7. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    If the franchise mode is really revamped (offline, I know online is still the same) then I think it's worth the buy.

I heard the guy that was the director of the NCAA football franchise is now the director of the Madden franchise... which I am HOPING this means that they are going to do a major overhaul on the online franchise in 2013... one can dream, I suppose.

8. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    I'll protest, and still end up pouring my money into EA's coffers by the time the season opener comes around anyway.

9. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Anybody know where to get the NCAA 2012 draft classes to import with the players names? I know you can buy them online but I don't have NCAA and don't really want to pay for a new memory card or send away my existing one.

10. ether79

ether79 ****

Dec 21, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    I have 4 years of classes, which will get you through all real players in college, I could put up here if need be. Just need to be compressed once downlaoded and unziped. It woulld be for ps3. Getting ready to go pick up my copy of Madden....anyone else?

BigDogsHunt likes this.
  11. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Gamespot, biased? Since when? They usually shoot straighter than other sites, like Gametrailers, who I think are more concerned with asking terrible lead-in questions to their reviews than in coming up with coherent ratings.

12. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Thanks bro. I have 360 but I appreciate the offer.

13. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Schmolioot, I'll be home and have Madden by the end of the week. I have the draft classes but not with the right names. I can fix that easy enough though. I may be able to e-mail you the files if you can't share them through the ea locker or whatever.

14. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Thanks bro. I have the Xbox Live subscription so I think I can use the EA locker thing, although I'll have to figure out how. Just PM me with the details. If you want a few bucks for your time I'm happy to take care of you.

15. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    Hmmm, I haven't been visiting Gamespot for years because of their bias. Maybe they've changed, but I did leave because the graded a crappy games excellent consistently. Maybe their editorial staff is different now, but they were BAD.

16. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Schmolioot, it won't take much time to do. Just will have to sim 4 seasons to get the classes with names. No need for any $. I just need to find out how to do the locker thing too, which is why I said I could e-mail you as a worst case scenario.

17. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Thanks again bro. I appreciate it. Just shoot me a PM or whatever when you figure it out how you want to do it.

18. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    I'm really looking forward to this. I haven't bought a new Madden game since the PS2.

I just got a PS3 a few months ago and am loving it. I have no idea how to download the .zip files and what not, but I'd be willing to try to get the actual college players in the system.

19. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Well Gamespot is the site to fire their employee who gave a game a bad review when the game had a full page advertising on their site

Tone_E likes this.
  20. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    That too. Forgot about that. The asian guy right?

21. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I picked the game up this afternoon and have already started a franchise with Miami.

22. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Which games?

23. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    It was a long time ago bro, I don't remember. I just know I personally had enough with them and haven't gone back since. Is it really that big a deal for you?

24. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I'm not trying to challenge you, I'm just genuinely curious about this. My view is that Gamespot is usually more likely to grade a game closer to its actual rating, while sites like IGN will usually inflate scores slightly depending on how big a name the game is.

Twilight Princess really was an 8.8, as Gamespot said. This makes it still a better game than Ocarina of Time, which got a bunch of perfect scores but is nothing of the sort.

25. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009

[​IMG]

Stitches and Dol-Fan Dupree like this.
  26. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    If Ocarina of Time was called Quest of Gold and didn't have Link or Zelda, it would have been lucky to break the 8.0 plane back in 1998. There certainly wouldn't have been a remake on 3DS, or re-releases on the Gamecube and Virtual Console.

[video=youtube;JZKIujsFSHM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZKIujsFSHM[/video]

27. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Zelda's Adventures is the best game in the whole series. :shifty:

28. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I actually liked that more than Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons. And it's on the 3DS ambassador program, so I'll be replaying it soon. :up:

29. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I think you are mistaken Des. :lol:

30. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Not unless there's some other Zelda game with Adventure in the title. I know you didn't say The Adventure of Link, but still.

31. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Why is there no intentional grounding? I drilled Brady in the pocket about a hundred times, and he just launches it out of bounds. No penalty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

32. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    Out of bounds is the key term.

33. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
  34. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    In the pocket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
  36. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Would you nerds stop arguing about Zelda and write a review on Madden for me?

37. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I got mine in today ($48 + a $20 GC to offset the price), my review so far is that the cellophane is shiny and that Hillis looks pretty dominating on the cover.

I'd give it a 7.7/10 overall so far.

GridIronKing34 likes this.
  38. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    I got ya bud:

Ok, so let me preface this by saying that I usually only buy Madden every few years ( I try to avoid giving EA my money), and the last Madden I owned (2010) I purchased just to play in the online dynasty. With that said, I decided to pick this game up because I missed playing a franchise with the dolphins. So since that's what I'm only playing right now I will focus my review on that.

First of all, I really like the new ability to trim the roster down over the course of preseason. Whenever I used to play franchise mode I would always skip the preseason, because there was never a point in playing it. Now however all the rookies on your squad are full of question marks. They start out with an overall rating that isn't certain. So Pouncey will be a 79? overall with a potential of an A? rating, and everything will be all ?. The more your rooks play the faster the question marks will disappear and the more you know about them. It really gives you an incentive to play them more, because the better they do the better their overall rating will be (at least I think). Then every week you have to cut 4 or 5 guys from the squad to meet the roster size. A side note here, I was very disappointed that Jimmy Williams and Phillip Livas were not on this team (even after the roster update), but some FS named Mcgorkle (who the ****?) was.

The new player roles feature is also an interesting twist, because players will gain roles depending on how they perform and these roles actually give them rating boosts. For instance I signed Leonard Davis and his role is a road grater so he gets a boost to run blocking, or Reggie Bush is a playmaker (boost to spectacular or catch in traffic) and injury prone (lowers injury rating). There are others like: Mike Pouncey is a future star, Randy Starks is a run stopper etc. Speaking of Reggie Bush though, he is so much fun to play with. Busting big time runs is extremely easy with him, and he's really fast. Also the line is overpowered and eats up the defensive lines allowing for nice running lanes usually. The only downside to Reggie is he really does get hurt easy.

While I'm enjoying this game, I'm finding it hard to score points right now and it has been taking me some time to adjust to the way the game plays. That could just be me however. I don't like how they changed the way you do audibles and hot routes. Before it was triangle for hot route and square for audible (ps3 of course) but now it's all done on the depend, and that makes it really hard to make quick adjustments. I had to turn quick links on in the settings menu to revert it back to the old way so it was more comfortable, otherwise I kept getting delay of games. The new kicking angle sucks, I feel it makes it harder to line up your kick. Also I don't know why they switched back to the tap X once for power and once for accuracy method that they had originally used. I had just started getting used to using the sticks to kick.

39. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    Also, I feel like this is one of the first Madden games in a long time where they really tried to make positive changes rather than rehash the same old game.

40. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Much appreciated. Great to hear about the preseason being enjoyable and the franchise upgrade is the main reason why I intend to buy Madden. I plan on buying the game probably this weekend or early next week. I have been hearing good things so far though!