1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lots of Dolphins talk in Wednesday's Sports Buzz

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Claymore95, Jul 10, 2013.

1. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    That's pretty crazy. Is your friend Matt Damon?

Bpk and jdang307 like this.
  2. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    lol. I wish, then ScarJo would be there too.

3. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    Jesse seemed to handle the conversation with Evans much better than with Dukes, but it is for the reasons you have stated. He didn't articulate well, came across opinionated without fact and logic, and arrogant on top of that. Nothing like being arrogant and not very smart. I perceived that Jesse was getting very tired of Jamie by the middle of the interview. Jesse appeared to show his frustration more in this discussion.

MrClean and Bpk like this.
  4. Lee2000

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    So when you get Dukes, opinionated and without basis, and Evans, opinionated and not really caring if it is popular, and the Dolphins are the topic, it can be a sobering, agitating experience for Dolphin fans. Would love to be a fly on the wall with the two of them in the same room with Ireland (in a interview, or maybe not).

5. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Meh overrated.

6. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Evans didn't have a lot of basis in his arguments either....not sure why he's getting a pass from some.

For example, Evans claimed Dansby was a play maker or that Ireland is bad with the cap. He also said some things that were not fleshed out and made no sense.

DOLPHAN1 likes this.
  7. Lee2000

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    It might be better to say he was better than Dukes, and that is not saying much.

8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Pillow of love dough.

9. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Evans gets no pass, his takes on the dolphins this year have been filled with bias nature..

mbsinmisc likes this.
  10. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I think you're right. He definitely showed a little more frustration with Dukes than with Evans. I think with Evans the only thing he didn't appreciate was Heath's little exaggeration/hyperbole about Dion Jordan getting 18 or 20 sacks or whatever and still not necessarily being a great player. But Dukes hit a hot button because he went after Mike Wallace being a one-trick pony and they've actually spent an inordinate time interviewing people who say that Wallace is nothing of the sort. And Dukes never even went into any detail on what makes Wallace a one-trick pony except to say he only catches 60 balls so that makes him a one-trick pony, which is really such a terrible generalization as to be disgusting.

But in both interviews Agler's counter points were right on, and he disguises them well because ultimately, he's an INTERVIEWER, not a guy that's supposed to argue and debate with the people he's interviewing. People don't understand that. I kept hearing how awful Agler was in the Evans debate because he didn't fight back at all. Those people who argue that lack a sense for subtlety, I think.

mbsinmisc and Bpk like this.
  11. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Well not everyone can have the interview skills of a Paul Burmeister.

12. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

C'mon LB..thats a bunch of bunk...Jeffy has been a lot more inclined to jettison dead wood, even if it's one of his mistakes... JJ has actually shown up, here and there unlike Egnew...I agree Egnew's a bum and needs to go, but you're judging Jeffy wrongly on that...

I just don't know about Marshall. He was pretty decent in a weak Carolina backfield. If what is being said (about his being past his back problems) is true, then he may return to where he was....but you're right, we'll have to see. Patterson is an enigma to us here. He came in so late last year, it's hard to say where he actually ranks/fits in the secondary... Carroll...I don't know...another enigma. He's sometimes done well, sometimes held his own and other times stunk the joint up... I think the kicking job is Strugis' to lose, rather than having to soundly beat Carpenter. I mean if they are close or even if Sturgis is slightly behind, you gotta figure the finances will sway the final decision...

MrClean likes this.
  13. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    If the Patriots feel backed into a corner by all this Aaron Hernandez stuff to where they find themselves making an example out of Alfonzo Dennard...I would definitely put in a claim on him off waivers.

But so would probably two dozen teams.

ssmiami likes this.
  14. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

It likely is/will be high, but doesn't the fact that Ireland is rebuilding the team to Philbin's liking have something to do with there being more "outside the house" guys this year? Most GMs replenish the talent that fits the new coaches scheme at a much higher rate than Jeffy did last offseason. It could be that Philbin and staff was feeling some guys out and decided to move on with/add some outside help rather than expect our drafts (this and last season) to be able to fill all the holes at this point, especially with the cap control that gave us some $$ to work with. Just a thought, but reason that the roster is littered with guys not drafted...

15. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    All I need to know is what has Ireland done since Parcells left, so far he's in good shape..if the team has a losing record this year then he should be in the hot seat.

16. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    if he has his 5th straight losing season he should be fired faster than you can say acorn. honestly if we don't win at least 9 games he should be fired.

17. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Man people are suspicious.

When I point out that the Dolphins have a high number of snaps that look to be dedicated toward outside players, I'm not tossing accusations. Everyone seems to be reacting by saying, well what should Jeff Ireland have done differently? I'm not saying he should have. It's not about Jeff Ireland.

I just think it's an interesting detail, and as I said before, I wonder if you find many examples of playoff teams that have that much of their starting roster filled up with outsiders, especially fresh ones.

The point was made that teams with upheaval in the coaching staff naturally have the same thing going on. That could be so. So I looked at the 49ers in 2011 and 2012. They had a change in staff, and they made the playoffs both years, even went to the Super Bowl in their second year.

I found that in their first year under Harbaugh, their contibutors that I'd consider significant outsiders were: Ted Ginn, Braylon Edwards, Justin Peelle, Jonathan Goodwin, Justin Smith, Carlos Rogers, Donte Whitner and Madieu Williams. In the second year, I show Randy Moss, Mario Manningham, Ted Ginn, Jonathan Goodwin, Leonard Davis, Brandon Jacobs, Justin Smith, Clark Haggans, Donte Whitner and Carlos Rogers. In the first year they had about 21.0% of snaps gone to outsiders, and in second year 21.6%.

With the Broncos, who also made the playoffs in John Fox's first two years as head coach there, I found the following. In 2011 I had major outsiders being: Brandon Lloyd, Kyle Orton, Willis McGahee, Broderick Bunkley, Andre Goodman and Brian Dawkins. In 2012, I have: Brandon Stokley, Joel Dreessen, Jacob Tamme, Dan Koppen, Peyton Manning, Willis McGahee, Jacob Hester, Justin Bannan, Ty Warren, Keith Brooking, Mike Adams, Tracy Porter and Jim Leonhard. I show 20.0% and 28.6%.

With Miami I found in Philbin's first year about 26.0% and in second year you could estimate as much as 40 to 50% depending on which guys you think fill out which positions, and who stays healthy and who doesn't, etc.

I think there's something to be said for new coaching staffs leading to turnover and higher percentage of snaps taken from significant outsiders, of course. That's only natural. It just seems like in Miami, this is higher than elsewhere. I'm not saying it's good or bad. It's just unusual I think. And I don't think it's necessarily just explained by having a coaching staff enter its second year.

Bpk, mbsinmisc and Stringer Bell like this.
  18. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

just out of curiosity CK, how much does a GM take direction from his coaching staff? Sparano and Philbin are clearly 2 different types of coaches. the types of players Ireland used to get were more suited to the Parcellian 80/90's type of players and Philbin much more "speed" oriented it seems. If Ireland is at all a good GM then he is going to fill the team with Philbin type players and that might explain the high turn over the second year for us.

19. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    The *** is pretty nice, or at least it was in Avengers. :wink2:

20. STColeridge

STColeridge Banned

May 2, 2013
    Well said.

21. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Sorry buddy,

[​IMG]

22. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Would still bang.

ckparrothead likes this.
  23. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Ain't nothing wring with that..love that little bit a fat.

24. pdaj

pdaj Well-Known Member

Any capable, intelligent anaylist - such as Evans - has the ability to effectively argue for either side of an issue. In my opinion, if he had wanted to, he could have easily provided a number of well-thought out justifications for optimism regarding Miami's off-season. While I have no complaints with the points he made during his interview with Agler, I think the "hate" for Evans comes from the perception that he still sees himself as a Patriot; and as a result, he's going to make Miami earn every positive statement. It's not difficult to poke holes at any team's off-season, and Heath, in my opinion, thoroughly enjoys doing this with his former team. Isn't is a little curious that Heath failed to mention one positive aspect of Miami's off-season? He didn't like one freakin' move? Bias conveyed intelligently is still bias.

This is my biggest fear for the upcoming season, and quite farnkly, I don't think it's getting enough run. It's not a scientific term, but I believe that teams with heavy turnover (especially at key positions) need time to "gel", and this year's schedule won't allow for that. In addition, I fear that Ireland may be judged too severely for how the Dolphins perform this season. The playoffs or bust chants are very loud right now. I don't think the effectiveness of this off-season's moves will be fully realized until next season. If a 7-9 season leads to a new GM, and then a new coach, I might suspend my Miami fandom for a few seasons. I don't have the stomach for another regime change due to unreasonable haste.

25. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Like a drum.

26. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Probably the best point I've seen brought up about the Evans interview. I don't think he's necessarily biased though. I think there's a front office in place in Miami that he just doesn't understand, and hasn't for a while. I do think he's very affected by his time in New England, and I've had several subtle (and not so subtle) indications both public and non-public that the pervasive feeling up in Foxboro is not one of respect for Miami's front office.

I think you're assuming that this front office can and will build a championship caliber team, and you're also assuming Joe Philbin is a championship caliber coach. I haven't yet seen a lot of evidence in favor of either assumption. With the coach at least, he's only had one year, so we'll find out what he's capable of shortly.

I think your reason for being depressed if we end up with a change at GM/HC is not necessarily a good one. Change is not necessarily a bad thing. Teams' fortunes can be turned around quite quickly. Broncos go to the playoffs in John Fox's first year with them, and did even better the next year. 49ers went to the playoffs in Harbaugh's first year with them, and the Super Bowl the next year. The Colts went to the playoffs in the first year with Chuck Pagano. The Seahawks went to the playoffs their first year with Pete Carroll, and in his third year they were an improbable one minute drive away from the NFC Championship Game.

I'm not saying Joe Philbin is or isn't the guy. We don't know. Just saying you shouldn't expect a team to be set back three years or some such just because they come under new management. If it's the right management, change can happen quite quickly and quite dramatically.

27. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Has anyone heard Evans speak about Tannehill? He's been as positive as it gets about him ever since he was darfted.

EDIT: here is a gem from the Jets forum:

http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=75819

DOLPHAN1 and ckparrothead like this.
  28. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Like I said. I think he doesn't understand Miami's current front office and I think he hasn't for a while, and that it's a feeling that runs throughout the building in Foxboro. But I haven't gotten a feeling that the position is unearned. I think he's genuinely not a fan of these moves he talks about not being a fan of, and for him they exemplify why he thinks about the Miami front office the way he does. I do think there could be some amount of what some would call "bias". But that doesn't mean he would be inclined to agree with these maneuvers if they were executed by other teams.

29. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Yea well too bad, he's fortunate to even still have a job, any other new owner would have let him go along with Sparano to get his own guys in there to run his team, his seat is basically on fire at this point so it's put up or shut up time for him. He can't draft so he has to overpay for a bunch of talent from other teams, which is why so many of our main contributors are outsiders, which is fine, that's one way of doing things, but it better work.

Lol are you serious? Considering that Ireland's contract is up after this season, if anything I would think the team rewarding the GM for a 5th straight losing season with an extension would be cause for a fan to abandon the team, not letting him go.

30. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I'd rather step in donkey sh*t than dog sh*t for that matter.

31. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I think he truly believed the patriot way was real, he believed in the system that they believed in, he considers himself an x patriot at heart, and Miami is their rival..His bias is only natural, unfortunately he isn't quite intelligent enough to separate his emotions for both sides when he comments on the rival..His lack of intelligence and bias shows by pointing out on several occasions his regard for Tannehill, for which is a given, he had already went on record about the Qb before he was drafted..I've seen him get called a patriot homer when talking dolphins and he replied, but how could I, I like Ryan Tannehill, lol..The guys opinion about anything related to the dolphins has more holes in it than a donut shop.

32. MrClean

Donkey sh*t would be the same as horse, and of all the manures it is IMO easily the least offensive, odor wise. Of those I am aware of anyway. Also donkey/horse cleans off your shoes much easier than dog does.

33. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    There's a difference between not understanding this front office and making up absolute lies about the state of the cap since Ireland has been the GM. He said big time spending is just Ireland being Ireland, which is implying Ireland is always doing that. This is different than not understanding the FO's moves and is deep into an agenda based opinion. It is simply not arguable. Either he is well researched and flat out lied or he isn't well researched and flat out just made stuff up.

DOLPHAN1 and djphinfan like this.
  34. MrClean

You like your man asses firm and round, but your girl asses with some cottage cheese? What's up with that DJ?

35. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I think when you keep pointing out "lack of intelligence" you're actually kind of showing your own bias here. I think any objective viewing of the man would show that he articulates well, forms cogent arguments, and shows intelligence. As pdaj said, bias conveyed intelligently is still bias, and I could see accusations of bias for exactly the reasons you illustrate. He believes in the Patriot way and he doesn't see that in Miami's front office. Perhaps that is bias. But he still conveys it intelligently. Even the fact that he sometimes conveys it emotionally does not detract from the intelligence of it. But you really go out of your way to paint him as an idiot, and I think that really highlights your own bias in this.

36. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Evans is getting to much props for being "articulate".

His interview with Jesse was not articulate at all. In fact, the only way his interview doesn't come across as biased is if CK translates it into things CK thought Evans meant. Being articulate doesn't require a translator. He contradicts himself, lies and in other points doesn't even complete his thoughts. The defense of Evans is only slightly less baffling than calling into question other people's intelligence for not agreeing with his drivel.

djphinfan and Dol-Fan Dupree like this.
  37. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Lol, I absolutely despise the female body being muscular, ripped, shredded, hard, or anything thing close to that, soft, shapely, with that lil bit of fat on the rear end is sexy as hell to me if it's proportioned right, I enjoy a nice little pooch as well if the *** is large and nice..

I do not mind a big girl as long as she's proportionate..

38. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    On many occasions I have said he may articulate his thoughts well, which would take some level of intellect, however, you called an interview that I have listened to several times, intelligent, non bias, well thought out, and researched, for which it wasn't imo, and to me, as an analyst, to be able to let your anger and bias show, shows me one of two things, he fu@$in despises us and doesn't care, or, he despises us so much he can't hide no matter...maybe he is intelligent, and maybe what I'm talking about isn't related to intelligence, but Im pretty damn sure he doesn't have whatever it is that allows someone not to be bias or bitter.

DOLPHAN1 likes this.
  39. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I can accept that many view him to be biased. I think he probably is, to some degree. Not to the degree he would need to be in order to invalidate his arguments sight-unseen, though. His arguments were worthy of disagreement, not disregard.

40. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    If you enjoy listening to arguments where the, "facts" that are presented are 100% incorrect then sure.

DOLPHAN1 and Fin D like this.