1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOST - Season 4

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Motion, Dec 18, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    agreed

2. His'nBeatYour'n

His'nBeatYour'n Glass Ceiling Repairman

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    I'm mildly disappointed with last night's finale. I'm not calling it a bad episode, or claiming the show sucks now, but it may be my least favorite of the four season finales. It was really lacking in surprises, and I had stayed away from spoilers because of how "game changing" those in the know claimed the finale would be. How it was bigger than any other, even last season's classic game changer.

Season 1 - Walt gets taken and we officially confirm The Others as a malicious force, and there will be no rescue soon.

Season 2 - Penny gets the phone call. This confirmed that all the Losties weren't dead or in some purgatory, and that the Island was somehow hidden.

Season 3 - The flash forward was introduced, confirming that the Losties could get off the island, but that the central force for getting off the island, Jack, would only live to regret what he has worked 3 seasons for.

Season 4 - Filled in the gaps from the Season 3 finale, yet didn't reveal any major twist or turn. Sure Locke is the one in the coffin, but he was always on that short list of possibilities. I was actually very excited about the possibility that Jeremy Bentham would be a completely new character rather than a Locke alias.

I was disappointed with the end to Michael's story, it did feel cheap to bring him back just to kill him off. But if they can get Walt's storyline to pay off, then I'm okay with it. And Michael's redemption will make a lot more sense if it turns out that he helped save Jin's life too.

And finally, my favorite storyline in the entire series has been Desmond and Penny, and while I'm thrilled they were reunited and I know there is more story to tell with Ben hunting Penny down, a big part of me didn't want it to happen so soon.

Those are still minor problems, I let myself expect a lot of big twists, and two big story lines ended differently than I expected or wanted them to.

3. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Not me...it was my favorite of all four season finales. Great episode.

4. His'nBeatYour'n

His'nBeatYour'n Glass Ceiling Repairman

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    We disagree? Well there's a surprise. :lol:

5. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
  6. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Anyone else register on that Octagon Global Recruiting site? The dates of their "National Recruitment Drive" is the dates of the San Diego Comic Con in July. Maybe we'll get some info.

7. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    What about the more important storyline of Walt-Michael?

Sorry, but redemption isn't good enough. It's pointless, really. Other characters have gotten redemption, then suddenly died. Maybe that, in the grand scheme of things is important but that has nothing to do with Michael's character arch.

It was a total waste. Had Michael (Harold) had not come back, they would of found another way to do what they (TPTB) wanted. Michael could've been replaced by an "Other" if need be.

I think bringing Michael back didn't have the "boom" TPTB wanted and figured they could ditch the whole storyline. I'm disappointed by that.

I was lead to believe (by LostFan108 - the spoiler King who must work for the show) that the secret scene with Sawyer was him in a dharma hatch with Claire and Charlie's dead body, all of a sudden, both spring back to life. That would have been interesting. Also i heard the fat cop from Hero's was coming back for a shocking guest appearance. Guess not.

Locke being dead is an interesting twist though.

A). How did he die?
    B). How did he get off?
    C). What did he tell the 06?
    D). What bad things happened on the island?
    E). Why is Jack responsible?
    F). Why is Ben still "working" for the island? We were lead to believe he was on a more personal mission.

I could go on. Locke being dead is a gamechanger. No one ever expected him to die because he is the cornerstone of the show. What now? No one dead has ever come back alive (Unless I'm blanking, and ghosts don't count).

I can't think of a better 2 hours of TV. Ever. This finale had it all. Also great subtle parallels to season 1 and other finale's. Last year had the fast forward twist, but beyond that, nothing about s3's finale was even close to this one. The island being sucked into a wormhole (casimir effect, negative energy matter, etc...) was just awesome.

I know someone mentioned the show being to sci fi. It always was meant to be that way, and if you pay attention to early seasons, it was written in stone. We just didn't see it.

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  8. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Ugh, so glad that didn't happen. That would have been extremely lame IMO.

9. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    I thought Michael's death redeemed him some because he was trying to help everyone on the boat. I didnt see it as blood lust. I too, kind of wish him and Walt resolved some things first though.

Also, as a political theory guy I love how the writer's use the names of theorist's throughout the show. Rousseau/Locke/Hume and last night Jeremy Bentham. Any one see any interviews where the writers explain why they did this, or if it is supposed to have any meaning?

10. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    No, they're supposedly in radio silence until comic-con. I ****ing hate David Chase for giving them this idea/showing everyone it's ok just to stop talking about their show.

But yes, it's a classically loaded Lost name. We just don't know why.

Unless the island went into the past, thus erasing their death. That's what I thought was going to happen. I'm OK that it didn't happen.

Ben went 10 months into the future, so the island must be 10 months in the future, right? Or is it years? How old is Aaron again? The time-line in my head is all screwed to ****.

I was reading about Claire and she's not going to be on season 5 (maybe sparingly) I think she's pregnant. She looked kinda fatter then usual (not fat in general, but her face is plump). She's back for s6 though.

Also, I heard that season 5 is about getting back to the island and what happens during the 10 missing months.

I'm calling it now... Ben killed Locke. He is way to involved still. I understand his issue with the Widmoore's, but why has he not cut that umbilical cord? Something is off.

11. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I think Michael's character (and also Walt's) were great in both season 1 and 2. I remember during Season 1 and 2, that Walt was suppose to be a big part of the show and rumors were going around that he was the key to the story.

I think the writers dropped the ball wasting their characters like that and introducing new ones that aren't as interesting.

12. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    The problem with Walt is he's 7ft tall. I didn't even recognize the kid. Last year he was shot at an angle, so it was kind of distorted.

Hope Walt comes back as a recurring character now that we're forging into the past rather then the future. ****, I hope Michael comes back too. Even if it's just to resolve the loose ends tptb created.

13. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008
    I agree, we were led to believe Walt was "special" and that there is a lot of mystery still surrounding his character. Still time to explain things so I'm holding out hope that they dont just drop him.

14. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    The only way Walt can be a big part of the show is the way they have done it now. It wouldn't make much sense if they were on the island for 100 days and he aged 3 years during that time

15. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I understand the kid grew up and now looks like the love child of Mr. Eko and Shaq. I just think that there was a lot of focus on the Walt character in Season 1 and 2 and then it was just dropped. I know that the writers were in a tough spot because he was growing tall etc but maybe they should have just recast him OR they could have kept Michael alive and used Walt to go with the '6' to get everyone back from the island. Now with Michael dead there's no reason to have Walt.

It's just disappointing that he was seemingly thrown aside now (much like I think Desmond will be, which is unfortunate too because he was apparently suppose to be extremely important to the overall storyline too and now there's probably nothing left for him).

Look I still like Lost but I feel like the writers/producers have no idea where the story is going, I'm sure they have some ideas in mind but they flip flop way too much and have forgot some big things like Walt's special powers and why the Others wanted him in the first place or even Desmond seeing the future. I guess he stopped having that power once Charlie died huh?

16. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    There are still 2 seasons left people. 34 hours of LOST to sort everything out. I think its alittle naive too think that some of these storylines won't be tied up. The writers obviously have a plan if they were confident enough to establish a timeline and end date for the show. It will all work out.

The Rev and Clark Kent like this.
  17. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008
    I'm not sure I share your optimism, but I hope you're right.

Motion likes this.
  18. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL

I think the fact that Walt was included in flash foward indicates that we will be seeing more of him if he visited Hurley.

And I'm sure we'll see more of Desmond

Motion likes this.
  19. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    I can understand that but at the same time it seems like some are giving up already on some storylines. I think Walt is still very much in the mix as far as the story goes, they wouldn't put him in the finale for no reason. Just because Michael is dead doesn't mean Walt won't be used. From his conversation with Hurley, Walt doesn't even know he's dead. I definitely think we'll see plenty more of Desmond with Ben on the hunt for Penny in the future.

20. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I'm sure we'll see both Walt and Desmond again (just smaller samples) but I still think that the writers did a poor job with Michael and Walt's characters since Season 2. I'm sorry but you don't bring Michael back for 3 episodes where he basically did nothing in and then kill him off. It was poor on their part, why even bring him back then? He literally did nothing in the episodes and if he never came back at all it wouldn't have taken away from the show.

I don't think the writers have everything mapped out even if they have a deadline. I think they have a basic outline with certain characters and events but have no idea exactly where they're going with this. I think they're going on the fly with their ideas for the most part. There are tons of examples of them flip floping and forgetting plot points and story lines. I'm not confident that we will get all of our questions answered.

I think the quality of the show has gone downhill since Season 2 and the realism of the show is gone. The whole time travel, disappearing island, smoke monster, seeing dead people (like Locke seeing Jack's dad) etc is just way too sci-fi for me. It would be one thing if I knew going into the show that it would be sci-fi but since the start of the show the writers/producers kept saying that everything that happens in the show is possible but obviously they changed direction.

I still like Lost and will still watch it until the end but I'm disappointed with the direction of the show now and think it's too bad.

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  21. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008
    I agree. I dont think we've seen the end of Walt by a long shot. I can see Desmond going by the wayside a bit, but as much as I like Desmond it is a pretty satisfying resolution to his character arch w/ him reuniting w/ Penny imo. He'll be back because of the reasons you gave, but he doesnt really need to be a player anymore imo. All the characters are so great you dont really want to say goodbye to any of them is the problem.

Motion likes this.
  22. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    I disagree with that. Season 4 was great overall. 1, 2, 4, 3, IMO.

Also, everything on the show can be explained...

read these 3 articles

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/research/4266333.html?series=6

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/research/4266329.html?series=6

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/research/4266335.html?series=6

specificly lost related.

Ultra, Motion and DonShula84 like this.
  23. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008
    It explains a black smoke monster an island disappearing and how that one guy doesnt age? Guess I have to give this a read.

edit: interesting articles, some stuff makes more sense now lol (especially the island moving). Thanks for posting.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  24. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    I will say if they really are abandoning the whole 4-toed statue thing, I will be very disappointed.

I hope next season with Locke now "leading" the Others that we find out alot more about the history of the island.

finswin56, Clark Kent and DonShula84 like this.
  25. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008
    I had actually forgotten about the 4 toed statue. There are so many questions surrounding this show I cant even remember all of them.

finswin56 likes this.
  26. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    lol, when I say everything can be explained, I guess I should of thought that through (Those articles explain aspects of the show/finale).

Also, Darlton has said everything can be explained with psuedo science at the least. wormholes, time travel, etc... would go in that category.

27. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    I 100% believe they will visit the statue, black rock, etc... when the islands history is revealed. There's no point until that time comes.

Motion likes this.
  28. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008
    Well, I dont really need every explained perfectly to make it seem realistic in the real world. I knew I'd have to take a leap of faith with a lot of stuff when I started watching the show. I just need the writers to end it in a way that wraps up the story so it makes sense in the Lost world. Even if the science is questionable, or only half explains it, that's enough for me lol.

Motion likes this.
  29. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    I agree, its just at the top of my list to know so we better get some answers! :lol:

30. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    Heres a cool theory I read and like a lot.

31. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008
    Interesting theory. Aaron is clearly going to play an important role in things to come. The psychic who told Claire that no one else could raise the baby, and placed her on the plane to make sure no one else did. Why was he so adamant about no one but Claire raising the kid, why does Charlie say Jack isnt supposed to raise him? He has a role to play.

I'm not sure about the part of being able to change destiny. It seems like Desmond repeatedly having to save Charlie's life shows that you cant really change your destiny and in the end things will work how they're meant to?

32. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Very interesting.

Ms. Hawking, haven't heard that name in awhile. That would be very random if she was such a major player.

There is definitely more to the Walt story ahead IMO.

33. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    I forgot the episode, but didn't the psychic admit all that was said was just BS? I'm not sold that was important... Not yet.

We'll have to wait and see with freewill/fate.

very matrixy if it were true. It wouldn't shock me since Des's flashbacks are very important to the show, IMO.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  34. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008
    Yep. I agree with the theory though that it's a major theme of the show that'll be developed more fully in the final 2 seasons.

35. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    To each his own on the rankings of the seasons, it's all about a matter of taste/opinion and personally I just think the quality of the episodes now aren't as good as in 1 or 2. Sure there are some episodes that were great in 3 and 4 but overall I from them disappointing.

Those were interesting reads, but it still is too unrealistic and I'm not buying it. I mean I can buy a moving island (like how Madagascar broke off from Africa and moved) however the island disappeared in front of us it didn't take a couple of hundred years. It still doesn't explain the characters seeing dead people (especially dead people that they have never met or seen before) or being able to control a smoke monster etc.

How are they going to realistically explain that the only way for Jack to get back onto the island is to bring the other '6'?

36. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I agree with you. After all we are watching a TV show so not everything is always realistic, and I'm fine with that and I'm willing to let things go.

I'm just upset because Lost is headed into a total difference direction to when it started.

37. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Easy, because Ben said so.

Ben is a master manipulator, always has been. We'll probably never know if they HAD to all 6 go back, that question doesn't even have to have a logical answer. If Ben or Jacob want all the people that know about the special things that happen on that island to stay there it wouldn't be that hard to bring them back. Locke goes back and tells a couple of them that terrible things happened after they left and at least one of them is bound to want to go help.

38. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008
    I can see that, and I can see thinking they've taken, or are taking, the unrealistic too far. I hope they pull back a bit next season so they dont complete jump off that cliff. I can also see the argument that the last 2 season dont quite live up to the first 2. But I see that more of a testament to how good the first two seaseon were, and the show just not being able to sustain that momentum.

Motion likes this.
  39. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    I would agree with that too. Some of the stuff does seem far fetched. I have said since the beginning that I was hoping it wouldn't get to far out there. Hopefully we've seen the limit as far as that goes, although the explanation of Jacob may push it alittle more.

40. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    After the build up of Jacob, I don't even care if they say he's an alien. I just want to know. :lol:

For me, there has never been a show that keeps me invested like Lost. I've never seen a show where I'm left totally baffled. It really pisses me off sometimes, but I've strapped in and won't stop until the end. It's just to damn awesome. No show has dared to do what lost has/is doing with itself.

Not to mention characters... Besides Jack/Kate, there all great.

All in my opinion of course.

Makes me wonder if Ben let Kate/Sayid go because he knew he would be banished and wanted to hitch a ride back to the island. I love how Jack almost killed him in the looking glass and now is taking orders. Awesome.