1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost in the excitement; running game continues pedestrian streak

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by hugoguzman, Oct 26, 2008.

1. hugoguzman

hugoguzman New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    I'll spend a lot of time heaping praise on guys in my column for tomorrow morning, but for now, I want to bring some attention to a concerning trend.

In 5 of our 6 games, our rushing duo of Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams have been pedestrian at best.

Brown ran for just 43 yards on 14 carries with 1 reception for 5 yards.

Williams ran for just 16 yards on 7 carries. He did score a beautiful touchdown on a cutback as well as an explosive 47-yard gain on a screen pass but also turned the ball over on a fumble in a key spot.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Brown and Williams aren't above average running backs.

It just seems like we've really moved away from a run-oriented attack. It also seems as if our offensive line is struggling to get a push at the line of scrimmage and create solid holes for these guys to run through.

It seemed as if this unit had turned the corner against the Patriots and Chargers, but clearly, the offensive line has taken a step back since then.

2. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Defenses prepare all week to stop Ronnie and Ricky. I wouldn't be too concerned. This was the Miami offense taking what they were given. Denver can't stop anybody, the numbers will probably improve next week.

hugoguzman likes this.
  3. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I feel like Im gonna beat a dead horse here, but the running game is pedestrian because again, teams are forcing Pennington and the passing game to beat them.

Ive seen the same defensive game plan just about every week from our opponents.

4. Loyal Fin

Loyal Fin Business as usual

Mar 22, 2008
    South Florida
    im thinking... we didn't get many yards up the middle..
    but we did have nice blocks hugo...
    ricky had a nice screen to the outside....not a run
    williams also got a good block on his "let's run backwards expierement"....I almost called his mother. lol....good block by someone nonetheless..

maybe you're right...
    our o line is really young though..

here's to hoping they grow together..

hugoguzman likes this.
  5. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    hey we know our running game is great, so im glad we proved we can win if they don't play the way they should each week

hugoguzman likes this.
  6. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    IMO, the problem is the interior of the line. We have a couple backup types playing RG and Satele is not a very good run blocker. Combine that with defenses playing the run daring CP to beat them and this is what you get.

hugoguzman likes this.
  7. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    We came out and ran the ball extremely well on that first drive, but seemed to move away from it. I don't know if that was the gameplan, or an adjustment by Hennig, but we really went away from Ronnie Brown after the first drive, up until the last few series of the game. Williams was a focus; the turnover could have proved fatal but we were able to recover from it.

On the bright side, we play the Denver Broncos next week, which *should* be a get-well recipe for Ricky and Ronnie.

Loyal Fin, hugoguzman and alen1 like this.
  8. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    After watching the Broncos on video and after that NE game, I absolutely agree with you and feel very confident going into that game.

Vengeful Odin likes this.
  9. hugoguzman

hugoguzman New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    Exactly. And the problem is that Ronnie (and this line to a certain extent) seem to struggle if they don't get a lot of reps. Not giving Brown a single carry in the second quarter is an excusable for a running back that only gets better with every additional touch.

Hopefully, Ronnie and Ricky will eclipse the 100-yard mark against Denver next week.

But who's going to cover Brandon Marshall?

10. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

Brown is an excellent Rb, period! He is coming off a very serious injury, and is getting better and more comfortable every week.

It's not all about the Rb's though. The offensive line has taken a step or two backwards then a step or two forward all season. It's all about them growing together. Then we'll start seeing the tree (Rb's Lineman, TE's) of this running game bare more fruit...

Sceeto, Loyal Fin and hugoguzman like this.
  11. Loyal Fin

Mar 22, 2008
    South Florida
    Yea, on second thought.. the play i was referring too was a screen, not a run..
    our run game was suspect today, you're right hugo...

hugoguzman likes this.
  12. Ozzy

Gotta give the Bill's defense, and coaches some credit too. This is a young team, and they're still trying to gel, and the Bill's made some nice adjustments to stopping the run, and plain as heck made some good plays.

13. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Ronnie has consistently shown he needs 15-20 reps per game, at least, to get in the flow of the game. Disappointing we didn't use him (or the Wildcat) more, because we had success when feeding him. I just think the game plan was focused more on Ricky and Ginn today.

Denver's run defense is abysmal. They're like the 2005 Colts.

Jason Allen?

:couch:

hugoguzman likes this.
  14. hugoguzman

hugoguzman New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    Nothing would make me happier than to see Jason Allen shutting down a monster like Brandon Marshall, but I have a feeling that Will Allen will be on him a lot. I also think that no matter who's covering him, he'll get this yards.

He scares me much more than Lee Evans.

15. Ozzy

That was before we got a Qb that could actually get the Wr's involved. Should they run the ball better? Sure why not but this offense got a lot more balanced when Pennington was signed. Sometimes you just take what teams are giving until things start to gel ....

hugoguzman likes this.
  16. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Marshall is a much more physical receiver than Lee Evans. Will Allen did a pretty decent job of jamming him at the LOS today.

It's going to take a team effort to shut down Marshall. And another monster day from Joey Porter would help immensely.

By the way, where has Roth been these last few weeks?

17. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Best suggestion against Denver would be to just keep the offense off the field. It sounds simple but using your TEs and your RBs, as well as the running game you can do it and beat up the Denver pass rush.

gafinfan and hugoguzman like this.
  18. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I think we'll see Marshall be covered by Jason Allen as VO mentioned as well as Will Allen as you said Hugo. Jason Allen is physical, has the speed, size and vertical jump (40 inch) to go up with Marshall. Will Allen struggles with physical WR's which what Marshall exactly is. I think we'll see Jason Allen on him though, I also think that Jason needs to stop giving so much cushion to Wide Receivers. Today he gave about eight or so yards of cushion and sometimes gave up catches because of it. A sideline catch comes to mind to Evans. I think Jason can be physical and I would like to see him possibly try to jam Marshall at the LOS at times but also give up a smaller cushion because he has the speed (4.38 forty) to recover if Marshall was to go by him.

19. hugoguzman

hugoguzman New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    Definitely agreed, although you have to admit that we've tilted in the other direction now.

The running game was our centerpiece, but is now our achilles heal to a certain extent.

The ultimate goal would be to match Pennington's mastery of the passing game with Brown/Williams excelling on the ground.

20. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I agree whole-heartedly.

Not only are we not running the ball, but we're not running inside a whole lot. Against Baltimore, we acted as if the interior was infested with rabies. Today was similar. Outside, outside, outside. I understand that Baltimore is dominant up front. And Buffalo can be decent as well. But you're never going to have success if you continue to avoid it.

There are going to be games played in a downpour, and games in the snow, where you HAVE to be able to just line up and run it. I don't care if it fails. Just gotta invest in it IMO.

gafinfan, alen1, Loyal Fin and 2 others like this.
  21. hugoguzman

hugoguzman New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    Agree with everything accept the part about Will Allen struggling with physical receivers. He has always been scouted as a very physical corner whose main problem is bad ball skills.

22. phinnhedd

phinnhedd Reality.

Oct 10, 2008
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    the point was that our running attack was invisible.

did that the win game for us? maybe?

did we win?

wheres the point in that?

if you can run for 300 yards a game and still lose does that put some air into the argument?

when does that point become valid?

sorry point man.

guys like drew brees and philip rivers can throw for 300+ yards per game and have a mediocre running attack and still win games is my point. just look at the stats from scrimmage, this game we just had is pretty close to those STAT wise and i could give a **** about stats.

we had a win, i just hope to continue the trend. whatever it takes man. just because stats show something doesn't discredit what they have done.

thats my point. disagree all you want.

i can.

23. Ozzy

Of course but I dont think its just the Rb's. The line was gettng blown up after that first drive, and especially up the middle. Satele has taken a big step backwards imo...

24. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Really, the only way to stop Marshall is to keep him off the field. Getting back to Hugo's original point, let's hope that we run the ball 20-30 times next week, if only to keep Cutler and Marshall on the sidelines, where they can't do any damage against us.

hugoguzman likes this.
  25. hugoguzman

hugoguzman New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    Well in fairness, I made a point to mention that the line is a big factor in all of this. One of the reasons Ronnie and Ricky aren't excelling is because of the line play.

P.S. As you know, I don't think that Satele has taken a big step backwards. He's still got plenty of room for improvement but is playing well for a second-year player.

26. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Buffalo was keyed in on the run. They went in with the gameplan of let's make Pennington and the receivers beat us and they did. The runs were getting stuffed and Pennington was flinging it all over the field. You take what the D gives you.

I had Ronnie Brown starting on my fantasy roster and I could give 2 ****s that he didn't have a great game. A win is a win is a win.

27. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    He may be a physical CB but I think he struggles with the bigger, physical WR's. i.e. Larry Fitzgerald.

Alright dude, your point, take it easy.

The run game is suppose to be our strength and it's struggling. Its a legit concern because as Muck pointed out, when it gets to bad weather out there, you want to have a successful run game to lean back on.

phinnhedd likes this.
  28. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Thats true Alen but what corners DONT struggle with the Andre Johnsons and Larry Fitzgeralds of the world?

hugoguzman likes this.
  29. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Lol, true. Good point.

Btw, you see his day today. Johnson - 143 yards, 11 grabs.

30. Ozzy

I read and surely agree except I think it has a lot to do with the line.

I watch Satele a lot and he needs to be the anchor of the line or it will not jel fast enough. I'm by no means saying cut him. I like him fine but he needs to keep progressing forward imo...

31. phinnhedd

phinnhedd Reality.

Oct 10, 2008
    Port Saint Lucie, FL

i think when it comes down to it, we need to pass the ball. what are we doing on 3rd and longs? with ginn showing up today it gives the team confidence that a receiver can take it in his hands. this is the type of things i like to see.

the running attack is what we want to see succeed, but when it comes to being down points in a game its heartening to see that we can throw the ball.

i wasn't a proponent for pennington, but what he showed today is impressing me. that throw to ginn long, you can argue his arm strength wasn't there, but he made the completion and ginn went up for the ball and had a HUGE completion. Thats the type of game I would love to watch here on out.

I'm not taking anything away from this win and I really don't want to hear negativity. Maybe i let my emotions get the best of me, but when we get a hard fought win i just let it go sometimes when theres people out there that can't write along those lines.

my bad.

32. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Best cover guy for Marshall=Porter in the backfield putting Cutler on his ***.

We should imo just watch that pats game about 100 times this week. They outplayed them both sides of the ball and then some.

33. hugoguzman

hugoguzman New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    Definitely agree on both counts.

It's very simple, if Ronnie and Ricky get a chance to get a head of steam before facing the first tackler, they will both have monster games. Our line just can't do that consistently yet. If/when it does, Brown will likely become a Pro Bowler and this offense will become one of the best in the NFL.

34. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Coming into that Pats game, I think Denver had allowed only 4 sacks. The Patriots just flat out overpowered the Denver offensive line (aside from Clady). If I remember correctly, they also blitzed a lot.

35. Disnardo

Disnardo Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    Most if not all of our opponents are willing to go all out to stop us running...

They know its our strength and not afraid to let us beat them by the pass...

For the most part you see opponents with 7-9 men in the box when we don't spread them out...

today, like last few games, they told us try to pass and win like that...

What happened today on the play action TD to Fasano... they keep everyone in to stop the run...

I just hope that we can threaten opponents with the pass... that way we can run better...

gafinfan, Loyal Fin and phinnhedd like this.
  36. Ozzy

Thats correct and Miami just made some strides in making teams start respecting our passing game. Maybe we'll see some teams start relaxing a little with all the stacking the box and run blitz packages they've been doing...

37. Loyal Fin

Mar 22, 2008
    South Florida
    if Ginn keeps playing like he did today, i think that'll help some.

38. dolphans1

dolphans1 New Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Hey I agree, I got so upset with our performance today, I ripped Sprano earlier in the game.

I am just so tired of it. This is not a hard game to play, the Bills are an average football team and it seems as though we play to everyone's level.

Hey, it could be me, that I expect so much, maybe I'm the problem.....

Oh well....

d-1

39. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Simple on point analysis, Chad played great and had to play great because the bills whole scheme was daring him to play great, to his credit he answered the challege which will help us for next week.

Took a big step today in improving as a team

40. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I guess I have a simple view point for my opinion of the Dolphins play and how they perform. Things have been so bad in Miami with the three ring circus we've had here that I appreciate anything good or positive that the team accomplishes.
    Irregardless of wins or losses I know this is a rebuilding team that is trying to come together and I can find positives in every game, even in the losses. We are growing and I am sure Parcells, Ireland and Sparano want the same things we want. We are no longer the doormat of the NFL and teams can no longer see the Dolphin games as a given and I appreciate that in itself.
    The old saying "Build it and they will come", it seems to apply here as they are building it and the wins and fans will come.