1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LORENZO BOOKER - Our Breakout Player in 2008

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DOLFANMIKE, Apr 3, 2008.

1. DOLFANMIKE

DOLFANMIKE FOOTBALL COACH 32 YEARS Luxury Box

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    [​IMG]
    Oddly enough, as I had been pondering how to say some of the things I had seen and hoped for this season related to what I think will be a much bigger role for Lorenzo Booker in the Miami Offense in 2008...and article came out on it today. Since the article completely supported my notion, I thought I'd go ahead and post my thoughts.

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/21723.html

The article is short, but it touches on some of the key stats I had been looking over and thinking about. During our last 5 games, Lorenzo Booker was our most consistent Offensive threat.
    "During that time frame, Booker averaged 5.6 carries and 5.6 catches per game, and he racked up 72.4 yards of total offense (25 yards rushing, 4.5 yards per carry and 47.4 receiving, 8.5 yards per catch) a game. Booker's performance gave notice that he can be a stick-mover in the NFL, a guy the offense can depend on to keep advancing the ball downfield."
    Those are some pretty eye popping numbers for a guy that didnt touch the ball until Week 12 and didn't dress out for quite a few games for us last year. The article compares Booker's role with us as being similar to what we have seen over the years in NE with RB Kevin Faulk. He's a "Chain Mover" that keeps Offense's moving the chains and presents a mismatch that LB's can't answer. The Defense's we face will be stuck with pulling a DB out of coverage to cover him and weaken their defensive secondary against Ginn and our other WR's or cover Lorenzo Booker with an LB. It's a mismatch that will give Booker a big name in our Offense. He will be "WEAPON X" that makes something happen when otherwise we are stalled in our base Offense.

As a Running Back coach of 24 years, and an Offensive Coordinator of 20 years, I'm thrilled to see Booker recognized for what he can do for us in our scheme. I completely buy into the idea that Booker can be our "Kevin Faulk" from the backfield, but I have been saying in some previous posts that I also see him cloning another player in NE, that being Wes Welker in the slot. We've talked alot in regards to the draft that we need to draft another WR or two, and I agree with that notion. However, if we are going to maximize Lorenzo Booker in our scheme, we simply have to use him more often than just as a back out of the backfield. Like Welker, Booker will kill defenses in the slot on seam routes, slants, in's and outs. He would also be deadly on screens both inside and out. Using him ONLY as an RB is wasting a high value talent and is really short-sited. Moreover, why only use him as an RB out of the backfield when that means Ronnie Brown has to come out of the game? Using Booker in both roles (RB and WR) creates so many problems for a defense and will give us a lot more firepower on Offense. It will also make Beck's life much easier.

2008 wil be the year people look back on last years draft and appreciate what a good day we had. It typically takes 2-3 years to determine if a draft was successful, and I think this year we'll see some early profits from last years draft.
    - Satele will only improve from a very solid year. Satele is verging on a Pro Bowl already, and this could be his year as a second year player.
    - Mormino will be given an opportunity to start and I think he will be this year's Satele. Mormino reminds me of former RT Ron Heller. Same motor, mean attitude, hustle, and general play style. Getting two starting OL from last years draft will be very impressive.
    - Ted Ginn Jr is well on his way to becomming one of the league's best all around playmakers based on his growth as a WR and returner. He'll only get better and everytime he touches the ball, we all know he can explode for the score. Ginn will be the Pro Bowl Kick returner in the AFC this year based on his growth and our FA pick ups. Our special teams will thrive.
    - Beck will get his reps and shine in Heninngs offense. His accuracy and quick decision making skills will be valuable and our Offense will surprise some people this year.

Lorenzo Booker wil be a huge part of the success John Beck will have this year. Booker will give Beck more chances to make plays by moving the chains at times we couldnt get it done this past few seasons. He will bring back memories of what we used to see when "Crash" Jim Jenson was our chain mover. He's going to bring a dangerous feature to those easy quick throws that we see Tom Brady doing to Faulk and Welker where the throw is a high percentage completion that turns into a big catch and run.

[​IMG]
    Booker may also be a key feature on returns as a relief for Ginn on those games than Ginn gets tired, nicked up, or injured. Booker will also be a dangerous returner, although he does need to improve on cathing punts in particular. That is a very trainable aspect of his play and I expect our quality staff to identify and improve it.

Something you should all be excited about is that in this article I linked to, Tony Sparano has already identified most of what I talk about as potential "Booker" playmaking. That alone should move both Beck and Booker miles ahead of where they were with last years staff. By in large as a coach, I don't like bad-mouthing former staffs. I have alot of respect for where they are in the profession and realize that mistakes don't always add up the way we as fans think they do. Sometimes there are things going on that only the player or staff knows about that make the poor decision make alot more sense. That said though, although I loved our draft last year, I think we made a big mistake in how we handled our RB situation last year. The delays with making Ronnine Brown the guy, the delays in utilizing Lorenzo Booker (which in my opinion may have been the begining of the Cam / Randy fall-out). Having Sparano already identify that he noticed Booker's impact is a great sign that the Dolphins will start off with Booker already a big part of what we do. If that's the case, Booker's success will directly translate into John Beck's success. I think Beck's strengths will highlight Booker in our new Offense (Quick Reads, accurate throws).

In a way, Booker's abilities may be the key to the entire 2008 Offensive success. Blocker's dont have to hold blocks as long with some of the NE-like quick routes to Welker and Faulk. Wr's dont have to be the only passing route threats, and the "Big Backs" (Brown - Williams) don't have to pound it out every week. Booker brings easy plays and high percentage of success. Booker is no John Avery clone. He is tougher, makes better decisions, and has much better vision. Moreover watch the film of Booker when he gets the ball. He runs smart and is tough, and defenders usually do not get a good shot on him. Welker has that same trait most of the time. That will keep Booker healthy and productive for us. All last preseason we heard our own defensive players talk about how elusive Booker was and how difficult he was to cover. Zach Thomas among others said that Booker was one of the quickest players he's ever seen. That's something we can use Dolfans. Sparano already see's it and sounds like he's going to focus on making those skills a big part of 2008.

[​IMG]
    Last years draft is going to shine in 2008. Players like Ted Ginn Jr are only going to get better and we could see 6 players (Beck, Ginn, Satele, Mormino, Mauia, Booker) drafted in 2007 make significant impacts in 2008.
    The 2008 season can't come fast enough! Draft Defense and solidify our OL, because last year's offensive focus in the draft is about to cash-in this season!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
    Puka-head, Tone_E, mason and 5 others like this.
  2. xDOLPHINSx

xDOLPHINSx Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Minnesota
    nice write up :up: although I must say you seem overly optimistic about last years draft. Not necessarily a bad thing, just saying.

3. bluegrassbubba

bluegrassbubba Season Ticket Holder

Nov 25, 2007
    Bluegrass State
    Great post, couldn't agree more, he's very exciting to watch, can't wait to see him return some balls next year, he should help in the passing game tremendously!

4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Lorenzo Booker is one of those players that shows promise, if he is fortunate to have a Offensive Co-Ordinator who knows how to use him.

For me, he reminds me of Eric Metcalf, a guy who just is an explosive player who can do alot of things to help a team win.

DOLFANMIKE likes this.
  5. phinfanuk

phinfanuk Season Ticket Holder

Dec 19, 2007
    Nice write up bud. I think our past three drafts have been pretty good compared to usual Dolphins standard. If I could be bothered I would count how many players are still on the team...

6. Themole

Themole Season Ticket Holder

Jan 4, 2008
    Palatka Fl.
    Thanks Mike. I see it unfolding just like you described. We don't know what Henning has up his sleeve, but we do know judging from his past that he intends to establish a dominating running attack.

We have the potential to do that to the extent we haven't seen from Miami since the early 70s, provided all our backs come back healthy. The O line improves with the new additions and John Beck exploits his potential.

I can see this offense creating big problems for a defense. None of our backs are lacking in their pass catching ability. Two of them bring power and speed and as you said, LoBo is tough, fast and strong enough to create Faulk and Welker like problems for a defense.

The weapons we have on offense and Hennings philosophy, is taylor made for what a young John Beck, and two bruising running backs bring to the table right now. Playing smart mistake free football will compensate for lack of experience to bring home some wins. These wins might be by only a field goal and T.O.P in our favor, but a win is a win.

Marino1983 and DOLFANMIKE like this.
  7. DOLFANMIKE

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    LOL...I'm definately a glass half full view person.

If 6 starters on one side of the ball doesn't constitute a reason for optimistic outlook I don't know what would!

:up:

8. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    That is a great write-up! I, for one, can't wait for the draft, and I can't wait for opening day. We may have gone 1-15, but, so many of those games were close games. With a competent coaching staff that actually utilizes our players, I think that we will have a much better season...and by that, I mean that I won't be left feeling bitter after every game. LOL.

9. DOLFANMIKE

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    Something I find alot of confidence in is the fact that both Ireland and especially Sparano & the coaching staff will most likely hear from Bill regarding their performance. I can picture Bill on Monday asking Sparano about game situation decisions and play calling.

I think it's safe to say we won't make the same mistake twice very often with Parcells around.

10. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I see Booker becoming an O.J. McDuffie type player both on the ground and in the passing attack. He seems to have a nose for that first down marker. Can't wait to see him get a full season under his belt.

11. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Booker actually played less then Jason Allen did as a rookie...

Anywho, I went back and looked at his Draft Scout profile from last season

1. ran a 4.42 as his best time in the 40

2. 25 reps

3. and 35 inch vertical leap.

4. 10 yd dash time of 1.42

LBooker may be a bit stronger then I gave him credit for, and a 4.4 40 yd time is nothing to sneeze at, he is Metcalf's height 5-10, and weight 190.

Surprising that he is almost as fast as Ted Ginn.

12. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    The guy was expected to have a break out year every year it seemed while he was in college and he never really put it all together if I'm not mistaken. Seems like i remember hearing about this guy since his high school days (should have gone to ND ;) ) and he never really lived up to the hype. Super talented guy, hopefully he can live up to all that potential he has. Maybe it is like someone else said, he just needs an ocoordinator that will know how to use him.

13. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I think the general consensus Don, is that he was improperly used.. virtually wasted his college time.

Themole likes this.
  14. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I don't think he's as fast as Ted Ginn. Fact of the matter is, nobody knows what Ted Ginn can run, officially. He ran on a not fully healed foot/ankle during a hurricane on a surface where scouts were wondering why he was continuing, it was that dangerous.

And still ran a pretty decent time.

Didn't the OC JEff Bowden for FSU get fired or forced to resign, right after or during Booker's college career? That's pretty telling IMO

15. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008
    See, that's why you dont turn ND down :wink2:

He seems like a really athletic guy, it's a matter of finding the right way to use him. Hopefully we can figure it out.

16. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I was one of the guys that question drafting Booker. But after what I saw from him I was dead wrong. Booker is going to be a dangerous weapon for us for years to come.

17. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

As for Ginn, his best time was 4.35 his worst was 4.46, so he is slightly faster but there isn't a gulf between the two of them, Lbook's 4.42 and 4.54 spread is higher, but on his "best" day, he can keep up with Ginn.

As for FSU...the wheels came off, long time 'Noles fans were calling for Bowden's head for a couple of years before he was fired.

18. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008
    I'm not disappointed he's here either. I'm not expecting the world from the guy but I think if used properly he can give the offense an explosive weapon.

19. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Any success this offense has will depend on the OL...if we can shore it up, fine, Booker could go hog wild in it. But if they can't fix and fill this OL to be better than it has been for several years...we'll be in the same boat...

I think, as most do, that Cam didn't fully utilize Booker's talent, but it wouldn't have made much of a difference with the pitiful OL that we had...

Themole likes this.
  20. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Again, the conditions for those 40 times were different, here is one report:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/news/2007/04/ted-ginn-runs-438-40-yard-dash.html

4.38 on an injured foot in rain, is a lot faster than Lorenzo's 4.42 (4.46 official?) at the combine.

21. Marino1983

Marino1983 Junior Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Of all the questions about why last season happened,, I still cannot figure out why L Booker sat on the bench so long..

The guy has excitement written all over him!

Marino1983

22. DOLFANMIKE

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    The quick hit passing game Booker can provide (Like Welker in NE) could provide the OL with a much easier job. Booker's presence can even make the OL better.

23. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I questioned it because I felt we had more important needs than a Scat Back. I'm glad I was proven wrong because Booker is like Washington. I think Lorenzo should be back there with Ginn fielding Kickoffs and Punts. I don't know if Ginn will be our KR/PR due to him being the number 1 WR.

padre31 likes this.
  24. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Wow, that was one of the best things ive read on this site maybe. nice write up indeed. I to am excited to see how we use booker this year. This guy can do everything, be effective in the passing game, in the running game, and on special teams. He's fast, has good hands, and he's can be pretty elusive too. How can you not love that about a guy on your team

25. Sam

Sam Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Good write up. Optimism isn't a bad thing. :yes:

I'm wondering if he'd be even more explosive if we waited until the second half of games to utilize him. His shiftiness against a tired defense sounds like a recipe for big yards.

26. Themole

Themole Season Ticket Holder

Jan 4, 2008
    Palatka Fl.
    Agreed. I would love to see a lot more of Mikes in depth comments like this.

Just from reading his previous post over the years you see he has coached
    in very successful programs with and against top quality talent.

Come on Mike, quit sandbagging us. Let that twenty years of experience speak to us here at ThePhins.

Where much is given, Much is expected.

27. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    And you were correct, it turned out that we had other needs besides a sactback, or a #9 Wr for that matter, or even a Qb at #38.

But Cam's loss is our gain this season, Cam and Mule went heavy on offense, it didn't work out for them in miami in 07, in 08, those same guys are going to be the corps of our offense.

In a sense, CamRan rebuilt the offense and Sparano and Henning (and us fans:up:) will reap the benefit of their one year reign in Miami.

Can anyone imagine Tuna taking any of those offensive players this draft?

I can't, no way, but we have them, Henning just needs to figure out how to use them.