Looks like no preseason games....

106 replies

KeyFinKeyFinForum VeteranOP
Jul 6, 2020, 02:10 PM

I've been reading for the past few hours so I'm not quoting an individual source, but as it stands today the NFL has reduced preseason from 4 to 2 games. The players union wants to eliminate it completely and start practice with 15-20 players in the building at a time. They're also discussing shrinking NFL rosters for training camp (70-80 seems to be the number they're leaning towards) and adding some practice squad slots (up to 20; 12 and 15 have also been suggested).

The union is also suggesting a reduced early practice schedule with about 4 weeks total training (half of it conditioning/strength training) and going straight into week 1. So everything is still up in the air but I don't think we're having a preseason.

Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.

AGAGuyNamedAlexForum Veteran
Jul 6, 2020, 02:28 PM

This season is going to be a massive disadvantage for teams with new starting QB or general roster turnover.

Those teams are usually bad to mediocre anyway, but still now it's going to be harder. We could see some really sloppy football this year.

TheHighExhaultedTheHighExhaultedForum Veteran
Jul 6, 2020, 04:26 PM

The season is not going to happen. Miami is going to get a fully healthy Tua in 2021.

KeyFinKeyFinForum Veteran
Jul 6, 2020, 05:44 PM

"TheHighExhaulted wrote:

The season is not going to happen. Miami is going to get a fully healthy Tua in 2021.

Personally, I don't think it's going to happen either...at least not starting in August or September. They can talk all they want but until full teams can safely take the field, there's just too much involved to start the year.

Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.

6161FinfanForum Veteran
Jul 6, 2020, 05:56 PM

I have the same feeling. I don't think we will see a 2020 season. Wanted to see year 2 with solid coaching and upgraded talent. Shame.

SceetoSceetoForum Veteran
Jul 6, 2020, 07:32 PM

Man, from the start of the season this team had last year to the amazing improvements and run in the second half of the season, to what was, imo, considering the signings, an amazing off season, to having a solid draft and drafting a high 1st rd pick at QB, who hopefully becomes our franchise QB for years to come and now the world has happened to find itself in little old pandemic and the season is now in jeopardy. Man, the curse continues. :death:

firedanfiredanForum Veteran
Jul 6, 2020, 07:41 PM

"TheHighExhaulted wrote:

The season is not going to happen. Miami is going to get a fully healthy Tua in 2021.

Sadly you could be right.The way things are going It would take a big change for it to happen.I don't think it will either but hope I'm wrong.

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Jul 6, 2020, 08:02 PM

Preseason games imo aren’t necessary..

Practice practice practice, if you can’t find your guys through practice then you in the wrong business.

AGAGuyNamedAlexForum Veteran
Jul 7, 2020, 06:32 AM

"djphinfan wrote:

Preseason games imo aren’t necessary..

Practice practice practice, if you can’t find your guys through practice then you in the wrong business.

This is kinda silly IMO.

There are tons of guys who are beasts in practice and turn into little kitty cats on the field.

Not to mention it's about getting new players acclimated to a system in game conditions before the live rounds go off.

This is like saying the military shouldnt do any battle simulations. Just head to the target range.

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Jul 7, 2020, 07:56 AM

"AGuyNamedAlex wrote:

This is kinda silly IMO.

There are tons of guys who are beasts in practice and turn into little kitty cats on the field.

Not to mention it's about getting new players acclimated to a system in game conditions before the live rounds go off.

This is like saying the military shouldnt do any battle simulations. Just head to the target range.

I guess college football is silly then

Preseason NFL games are not essential..

The_Dark_KnightThe_Dark_KnightForum Veteran
Jul 7, 2020, 08:04 AM

"djphinfan wrote:

Preseason games imo aren’t necessary..

Practice practice practice, if you can’t find your guys through practice then you in the wrong business.

Preseason is absolutely necessary!!!!!! You need preseason games to determine whether or not these rookie college kids are indeed NFL caliber material or if they're going to fold like a cheap suit when facing an opponent other than your own practice.

As Alex pointed out, preseason games are like the US Military equivalent to Team Spirit, Bright Star, REFORGER, et al. You can only do so much at JRTC or NTC. You have to find out whether or not what you've done there is working at the bigger exercises so when you do indeed go to war, there is no doubt you're going to come out victorious.

“The person you will spend the most time with in your life is yourself, so you better make sure you’re someone interesting”

AGAGuyNamedAlexForum Veteran
Jul 7, 2020, 09:58 AM

"djphinfan wrote:

I guess college football is silly then

Preseason NFL games are not essential..

Have you ever wondered why most strong college teams like to start their season with cupcake teams on the schedule?

Why fans complain early season matchups between top teams arent representative about how the team is 10 weeks later and why people count early season losses differently in their minds?

Thank you for bringing college up, it proves my point exactly.

DisgustipateDisgustipateSupporter
Jul 7, 2020, 10:15 AM

I don't think the NFLPA is advocating for these things out of a sense that they're actually unnecessary, or that it's a good idea- they're trying to do whatever they can to drag what they probably realize is a doomed season over the finish line of week one. If the players are going to be at risk and the league year likely cancelled, they'd prefer that the players get game checks and accrued seasons.

FinatikFinatikStaff
Jul 7, 2020, 11:26 AM

I'm just about over the NFL for this season. With all the politics that have taken over, all the personalities that think their "platform" is what anyone cares about and is why we watch, the Rona, will they play, how many games will there be. Blah blah blah. I'm just tired of it all. Just scrap the season and start over next year.

Lots of people will tell you what they think about you and what you shouldn't and should do. Not everyone's thoughts are worth consideration. Don't take criticism from anyone who you wouldn't also go to for advice.

KeyFinKeyFinForum Veteran
Jul 7, 2020, 01:58 PM

"Disgustipate wrote:

I don't think the NFLPA is advocating for these things out of a sense that they're actually unnecessary, or that it's a good idea- they're trying to do whatever they can to drag what they probably realize is a doomed season over the finish line of week one. If the players are going to be at risk and the league year likely cancelled, they'd prefer that the players get game checks and accrued seasons.

The real problem is that the NFLPA doesn't have enough facts to make an informed decision....because none of us have those facts. We can't know what we don't know on COVID, but we do know that staying home is probably safer than sharing a locker room with 50+ players (or a front office with 50+ scouts, executives and other personnel). And even if both the NFLPA and the NFL say, "Let's play some football," now we have to wait and see what the city, state and federal government allows.

The LAST THING I want to see is a start of a season that's cancelled a few weeks later because 20+ states can't figure things out. The alternative would be to isolate the entire league in Vegas or somewhere like that, but I don't think that's fair to the players since you're taking them away from family & friends who depend on them. There just aren't any easy answers here and even if we clear every single one of those hurdles, I'm curious how many players will report for camp and accept the risks involved.

We've seen a big push for player safety the past few years and in my opinion, the safe choice would be to stay home. I just don't think the NFL wants to say that out loud because we all desperately want a season...but it is what it is.

Personally, I think they should go the UFC route and build their own "fight island"...maybe in the middle of Utah or somewhere with nothing around for 20+ miles. Build two fields (no need for stadiums), a hotel and fly players in on game-day (private jets/private airport) if they've had 3+ daily negative tests in a row. Play two games a day (3 on Sat/Sun), 7 days a week, and let players go home in-between with regular practice at their hometown facilities. During the season, make in mandatory for players to be at work or stay home...being caught out & about leads to a mandatory 2-week quarantine without pay. Additionally, let teams decide their own byes based on positive cases...that would mean schedules wouldn't be set in stone and you could get an alternate opponent at the last minute. It would be super hard to pull off but at least it would be NFL football, seven days a week.

Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.

Rick 1966Rick 1966Forum Veteran
Jul 7, 2020, 05:00 PM

If they don't have a season this year, they may as well shut the whole league down, because they'll have effectively killed it.

KeyFinKeyFinForum Veteran
Jul 7, 2020, 07:01 PM

"Rick 1966 wrote:

If they don't have a season this year, they may as well shut the whole league down, because they'll have effectively killed it.

I think that's super important for all pro leagues- eventually networks will realize that we'll watch just about any sport when there's nothing on. For instance, there's a Russian slap league I've watched a decent bit on YouTube recently...it's not football, but it is highly entertaining! Other sports (or new pro leagues) could quickly replace our big four if the NFL, NBA, etc can't figure out how to make it work and keep players safe.

Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.

DisgustipateDisgustipateSupporter
Jul 7, 2020, 08:31 PM

I don't think the risk is cancelling the season so much as it is the potential ramifications to the on the field product in 2021 if you have a huge labor shitshow because of it.

If you turn around and slash the salary cap by 40%, then you might incur some risks to the product on the field.

ExplosionsInDaSkyExplosionsInDaSkyForum Veteran
Jul 7, 2020, 08:42 PM

I just feel for some of the vets in the game who may be looking at their last season as a pro. Guys like Brady, Brees, and even Aaron Rodgers are getting older. Time is undefeated and we all know as we get older the more value it holds. My wife who is the most upbeat positive person I know has finally caved. We usually talk every morning before we go off to work and she finally spoke about how this Covid crap is ruining everything about our lives. It really sucks, and while a lot of people don't care about sports, it happens to be one of my main drives in my life. I've played them since I could walk, and I've watched the NBA, NFL, and even the MLB since I was six years old. This absolutely sucks from a fans point of view. Obviously it's not the end of the world, it's not cancer, but it's a big blow and I just hope we can get past all this. With that said, I am prepared at this point to not have a football season this fall. I just don't see it happening. I think the NBA and the Orlando bubble thing is going to be a colossal fail. This virus is going to continue to spread and unless everyone gets on bored in terms of taking the proper precautions, it isn't going to change.

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Jul 7, 2020, 08:55 PM

"AGuyNamedAlex wrote:

Have you ever wondered why most strong college teams like to start their season with cupcake teams on the schedule?

Why fans complain early season matchups between top teams arent representative about how the team is 10 weeks later and why people count early season losses differently in their minds?

Thank you for bringing college up, it proves my point exactly.

wrong imo, there are many college teams that don’t start out with cupcakes, many..

If college doesn’t need preseason games nor do pros if it came down to it, what you and I want is different.

Rick 1966Rick 1966Forum Veteran
Jul 7, 2020, 09:45 PM

"KeyFin wrote:

I think that's super important for all pro leagues- eventually networks will realize that we'll watch just about any sport when there's nothing on. For instance, there's a Russian slap league I've watched a decent bit on YouTube recently...it's not football, but it is highly entertaining! Other sports (or new pro leagues) could quickly replace our big four if the NFL, NBA, etc can't figure out how to make it work and keep players safe.

The key thing is the TV broadcast. They can play in empty stadiums in different states and it won't matter as long as the games are broadcast.

FinatikFinatikStaff
Jul 8, 2020, 12:32 PM

"Rick 1966 wrote:

The key thing is the TV broadcast. They can play in empty stadiums in different states and it won't matter as long as the games are broadcast.

For a certain time. But viability is those that go to games and get the game experience.

Lots of people will tell you what they think about you and what you shouldn't and should do. Not everyone's thoughts are worth consideration. Don't take criticism from anyone who you wouldn't also go to for advice.

rafaelrafaelForum Veteran
Jul 8, 2020, 01:07 PM

I like having a couple of preseason games. I’ve generally been pretty good in my fantasy league b/c I watch the preseason games. I enjoy projecting development from what I see in those games.

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Jul 8, 2020, 09:32 PM

"rafael wrote:

I like having a couple of preseason games. I’ve generally been pretty good in my fantasy league b/c I watch the preseason games. I enjoy projecting development from what I see in those games.

So do I..

AGAGuyNamedAlexForum Veteran
Jul 9, 2020, 09:24 AM

"djphinfan wrote:

wrong imo, there are many college teams that don’t start out with cupcakes, many..

If college doesn’t need preseason games nor do pros if it came down to it, what you and I want is different.

I respect that you dont find it necessary. I believe it is.

I could also say the passing game usnt necessary to score so if it came down to it we would be fine getting rid of it in the NFL.

Nothing in the world is strictly necessary, it comes down to whether it improves the product or not.

I believe it does, you dont, that is fine.