1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking At Our Options In The Secondary

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by alen1, Sep 16, 2008.

1. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Looking At Our Options In The Secondary- The 334/335

On Sunday, our Defensive Backs got completely tore up against the Cardinals outside weapons of Boldin and Fitzgerald. The secondary as a whole struggled very badly but it was expected. This week, we face the Patriots who are known as a pass heavy team. They may run against us run but our defense showed against Arizona that they were pretty good at stopping the run. The Patriots Laurence Maroney (once again) got injured. They will look to pass heavily now because of the poor secondary.

Moving on to my point, I was reading up on the 49ers-Seahawks game and one thing stood out to me. A 5 sub package that was run by Mike Nolan. The Seahawks don't have a lot of receivers but this package was successful two years ago against the Seahawks as well. It is basically the usual four defensive backs but with a Linebacker being replaced by another Defensive Back. In the 49ers case, it was Manny Lawson being replaced by a Safety. Reading that, it gave me an idea to get Crocker off the field and Jason Allen onto the field. It also gives us more defenders in the second level of the field which is a thing that we may need. Here's my idea.

Code:

[CENTER]        Jason Allen                  Yeremiah Bell

Lehan                                                                    W. Allen

Porter   Torbor    Crowder      Safety

Holliday          Ferguson         Langford[/CENTER]

Another possibility is this.

Code:

Lehan                                     Safety                            W. Allen

Porter   Torbor    Crowder      

I'm just trying to figure out how we could stop the opponents passing game. We clearly don't have the players to match up with others and it doesn't help that we are going against Randy Moss this weekend. I also want to note that it doesn't matter who we could put in, I was just placing some guys in, trying to figure this out. The first one could be running down situations or it could still be a pass lol.

Thoughts? Good idea? Bad idea? If so, why?

HULKFish and adamprez2003 like this.
  2. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    I wouldn't be opposed to it because this team needs to find something that works against the pass. IMO if they do run that formation in the future I think Yeremiah Bell would be the safety to line up closer to the line of scrimmage. He has lined up close to the LOS in the last two games more then once and is the best tackling and cover safety we have right now. He also has good size to play close to the line.

The matchup this week doesn't concern me as much as it may others because Brady isn't playing. With Cassel in the game the deep pass to Moss doesn't become nearly as dangerous as it would with Brady back there. I think Miami may have more success this week against NE then they did against Arizona as crazy as that may sound.

adamprez2003 and alen1 like this.
  3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Wow, I just remembered this is basically the same as a 3-3-5 package. Nevermind lol.

4. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    is it just me or does the second one only have 10 players??

btw our number one priority this offseason should be to sign nmandi asomugha, to any amount of money he wants

5. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I see eleven players lol, unless I'm seeing something I shouldn't be.

6. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Until we get a true #1 corner, we're going to get burned again and again. Lehan will get smoked by Welker and Allen is no match for elite WR's like Randy Moss. We've seen it here against Fitz and we'll see it again (like last year). As bad as Ayodele has been so far, Torbor's no better. Ayodele has the experience factor and has had success. What really screws him up is being placed on a dynamic threat like Boldin and other questionable coaching calls. Honestly, we might as well just run a nickel from here on out. Until we get better personnel, all the schemes in the world can't help us.

7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I agree but I don't know who we could put back there in place of Bell. That's why I left him back there lol. I don't have any faith in the other guys.

8. Styla

Styla #1 Davone Bess Fan!!!

Apr 1, 2008
    Chillaxin' in So.Cal
  9. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Maybe our defense only had 10 as well which would explain how an All Pro WR could be left uncovered on at least 2 occasions. :lol:

Actually, that wouldn't explain it either.... even with 9 defenders on the field 31 other teams would make sure that at the least Fitz and Boldin were covered. :pity:

On a serious note, were not solving this secondary problem this year.
    I think we all figured that the secondary would be a huge liability this year.
    Then coaches floored us with their statements hinting that they saw some solid talent back there to work with.

Either they were sugar coating reality for fans or they couldn't see how bad this group is....... I'm hoping for the sugar coating angle.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  10. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I think lehan and allen starting will upgrade our secondary immediately, they may get beat sometimes but they will be able to match up physically, DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE MIKE LEHAN. i think i would rather have hill instead of goodman as our nickel.

And i think i will switch Paul pasauloni for the new rookie Dcordinator ALEN 1......

11. King Felix

Dec 6, 2007
    the first one has 11 but the second one is missing the nickel back?

12. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    No bro, I took out Roth at the LOLB spot and put in a Safety. That Safety could stay at Roth's spot or he could play the middle where we also got beat. The nickel would be basically be the Safety between Lehan and Allen and below Bell/Allen. (the bold)

Code:

Lehan                                     [B]Safety [/B]                           W. Allen

[/CENTER]

King Felix likes this.
  13. King Felix

Dec 6, 2007
    oh..my bad i was just counting names lol

14. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    We're 0-2 and got smoked this last game. We lose nothing and gain everything by putting Ginn and J.Allen in. Period. Do it Sparano, do it!

15. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    :lol:

No problem man.

16. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I hate the 3-3-5 Defense and always have. Its not really good at stopping the run or pass. Seems like you get beat on both when running it.

17. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I think it goes like that in college but I haven't noticed that in the NFL. Its rarely run or at least from what I've noticed, I think the Bucaneers may be the only ones that run some of it and they're a successful defense.

The first defensive scheme in my original post could be used on running downs. That one is more of a 3-4-4.

With the second defense, we would have a Safety between Allen and Lehan which would/could take away the middle of the defense. In the Arizona game, when the outsides weren't used, the Cardinals had a field day in the middle of the defense. With a Safety taking away the middle, the opposing offense would likely work the outsides. Of course we don't have the greatest Secondary but I feel more confident with Jason Allen back there than Crocker. Allen made some plays last year and I still can't figure out why he's not out there. Lehan is not the best DB but is a better option than Goodman at this point. Allen and Lehan weren't bad at all last year. I think with that duo, the secondary would improve. Also, Yeremiah Bell is back there as well.

I think its worth a shot considering how poor we have been in the secondary.

18. TotoreMexico

TotoreMexico Your retarded

Jan 4, 2008
    Mexico
    Just as long as Crocker and/or Goodman are not playing I'm cool with it :knucks:

Brown42000 and alen1 like this.
  19. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    I see the pats running it around 30 to 35 times.They are playing with a backup and they know the only way we can win is if he has two or three picks.

Bill is to smart to have MC put it up 40 or 45 this game, or any other they play this year.

20. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeah and if you take away that running game, they are forced to pass. I'm willing to take my chances with a 5 defensive back scheme and almost the same front seven.

21. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    Isn't Maroney hurt? If he is I'll be fine if they run the ball 40 times come Sunday. Sammy Morris is a good back but I'm not worried about him shredding the defense and LaMont Jordan has no speed. I have confidence the defense will be able to stop the run this season.

22. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yep, Maroney is down. I don't know if he's going to be playing this Sunday though.

Brown42000 likes this.
  23. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    Living in RI you would think I would have known this but what did he injure?

24. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Really like the outside the box thinking you're doing here. Not sure we could run this throughout the game but I think it could be incorporated perriodically throughout a game

alen1 likes this.
  25. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Lol, shoulder.

Brown42000 likes this.
  26. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    yep , i just don't see us stopping there running game.anyways

27. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Thanks. Yeah I don't think we could run it throughout the game but I think it would be at least worth a shot running it on third down.

With this defense, I think we could give them several different looks. We could show them a fake blitz with Porter who would go back in coverage after the fake. With Porter faking it, you could blitz the opposite side Safety.

One option that keeps running through my head is Will Allen blitzing from the CB spot and then the Safety (the one labeled "Safety", not the others) dropping back into Allen's zone. I would think we could use that play on a third and five for example. Typically, a team would look for a short pass to move the chains in that situation. For example, if we were to blitz Will Allen off the corner on that play, the Quarterback would force the throw because of the pressure and with the "Safety" in Allen's zone, he would have the change to make the play. If Allen is picked up, we still have guys deep in Bell and Jason Allen.

Code:

[B]Start of the play:[/B]

Lehan                                                                    W. Allen

Porter   Torbor    Crowder      [B]Safety[/B]

Code:

[B]After ball is hiked:[/B]

Lehan                                                           [B]Safety[/B]

Holliday          Ferguson         Langford      W. Allen[/CENTER]

I may be out of my mind here but what can I say other than I'm trying to figure this out lol.​

28. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I know the Cardinals aren't the Patriots offensive line but we did a good job on their running game, holding them to 3.1 ypc.

29. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    And dont forget that lehan is our best blitzing secondary player...by far.

30. Dolfan4Life

Dolfan4Life BostonStrong

May 3, 2008
    Germany
    We should play the 3-4 base defense and try to put constace pressure on Cassel with both OLB and the DE's! We should also copy the Jets defense against Moss... double coverage (CB and a Safety) all day long!

31. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    I just can't see the pats putting the game in the hands of a QB starting his 2 nfl game,also the pats only had 3.2 ypc playing the jets but they still ran it 33 times.

The good news is the pats gave up 5.0 ypc playing the jets.So we may ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,just may be able to run on them Insha Allah.

32. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    I don't think it's the personel so much as the scheme's they've been running. Less bump and run and more zone may be necessary. Not to mention the deep safety has to not miss assignments. If it's 1st and 10 and we line up an extra safety they can audible to a run and see if it's successful.

More importantly is we have to get pressure on the QB which we have not been able to do successfully or consistently without blitzing. So, just mix up the blitzing packages with zone in the back. I'd say have 5 rushers on every down. If you rattle Cassel (second game starter) I'm sure some good things will come our way!

33. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    Good call man , i never thought we'd stop their running game.If i knew ya in real life i'd buy ya a beer:knucks:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  34. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Tnx. :knucks: