1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking at Free Agency...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by RealDriscoll, Jan 12, 2009.

Tags:
  1. RealDriscoll

RealDriscoll Banned

Jan 9, 2008
    The Dolphins approach at free agency last season was huge. They didn't attack any big names on the market but focused on improving their overall roster. Signings such as Justin Smiley and Randy Starks really proved to be good moves. Ernest Wilford and Josh McCown were bust but we never knew that Chad Pennington could fall into our laps. The positions which we really need to focus on are Pass-Rushing Outside Linebacker, Interior Offensive Line, Nose Tackle, Inside Linebacker, Cornerback, and Safety.

We are defiantly set at Quarterback with the combination of Chad Pennington and Chad Henne. Running Back the same with the likes of Ronnie brown, Ricky Williams, Patrick Cobbs, and Loushaka Polite. While we could approve our Wide Receiving core, we do have some solid players in Greg Camarillo, Ted Ginn Jr., and Davone Bess. I do see us releasing Wilford and going after someone solid but I do not see us chasing a big name such as TJ Houshmandzadeh. Before we look at who to add , we first must look at who tp keep. With Yeremiah Bell, Andre Goodman, Vernon Carey, and Channing Crowder. I think locking up Yeremiah Bell is the main priority. Andre Goodman played well down the stretch and might be looking for money than he deserves. Channing Crowder is going to price himself out of Miami and Vernon Carey doesn't have the attitude that Sparano wants in his line. I think we should lock up Carey but I wouldn't be shocked to see us explore options in the draft.

I don't think us looking at Julius Peppers, Nnamdi Asomugha, or Terrell Suggs is realistic. The four free agents I think we should target are Jason Brown, Karlos Dansby, OJ Atogwe, and Bryant McFadden. These guys won't come cheap but you can get Atogwe, McFadden, and Brown for the price of Asomugha. We are looking at being roughly $24 million under the salary cap which will probably be increased. i see us being around the $30 million dollar rnage once FA starts.

Jason Brown- Currently starts at Center for the Baltimore Ravens who won't have the money to resign him with the likes of Ray Lewis, Bart Scott, jim Leonard, and Terrell Suggs being free agents. Brown is the inside mauler that we need to upgrade over Satele. Samson Satele will still play a big role on this depth for depth at Guard and Center. Jason Brown is physical and playing on a line with Jake Long, Justin Smiley, and Donald Thomas would give us a big dominant line.

Bryant McFadden- Would probably come at the same price as resigning Andre Goodman. McFadden is younger and more physical and I see this as an upgrade.

Karlos Dansby- He won't come cheap but this guy is a palyer. We could ahve him play Inside and replace Channing Crowder. Dansby is far better than Crowder and exactly the type of player we need on defense.

OJ Atogwe- Play maker at the frree-safety position. Renaldo Hill is a FA and IMO the weakest link to our entire defense.

Adding these free agents with a strong draft and our team would really start to look good. We cannot fix everything in one off season but imagine those free agents signings combined with a draft such as

1- Brandon Spikes-Linebacker-Florida
    2A- Larry English-Outside Linebacker-Northern Illinois
    2B- Kenny Britt-Wide Receiver-Rutgers
    3-Terrence Taylor-Nose Tackle-Michigan
    4-Garrett Reynolds-Offensive Tackle-North Carolina
    5-Sherrod Martin-Cornerback-Troy
    7A: Edwin Williams-Center-Maryland
    7B: Anthony Hill-Tight End-NC State
    7C: Greg Carr-Wide Receiver-Florida State

Our roster would look very improved and erady for another dvision title at...

QB: Chad Pennington/Chad Henne/John Beck
    RB: Ronnie Brown/Ricky Williams/Patrick Cobbs
    FB: Loushaka Polite
    TE: Anthony Fasano/ David Martin/ Anthony Hill
    WR: Kenny Britt/Davone Bess
    WR: Ted Ginn Jr./Greg Camarillo/ Brandon London
    LT: Jake Long/ Ikechuku Ndukwe
    LG: Justin Smiley/ Andy Allemen/Edwin Williams
    C: Jason Brown/ Samson Satele
    RG: Donald Thomas/ Shawn murphy
    RT: Garret Reynolds
    K: Dan Carpenter
    P: Brandon Fields
    DE: Vonnie Holliday/ Phil Merling
    DE: Kendall Langford/ Randy Starks
    DT: Jason Fergeson/ Paul Soliai/ Terrence Taylor
    OLB: Joey Porter/ Charlie Anderson
    OLB: Larry English/ Matt Roth
    ILB:Karlos Dansby/Akin Ayodele
    ILB: Brandon Spikes/ Reggie Torbor
    CB: Will Allen/ Sherrod Martin
    CB: Bryant McFadden/ Nate Jones
    FS: OJ Atogwe/ Jason Allen
    SS: Yeremiah Bell

MS4FINS, phineas64 and The Aqua Crush like this.
  2. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Yea, Ill take that draft anyday of the week.

Would love the addition of Brown and Otagwa..but I wouldnt be all that comfortable with a rookie starting at RT.

Also Mcfadden is good but with the pressure PIT brings its easier to be a CB.

3. ASUFinFan

ASUFinFan Uh huh

Dec 8, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Great post. I am excited to see what the Dolphins do. Hopefully we utilize some of that money.

The Aqua Crush likes this.
  4. RealDriscoll

RealDriscoll Banned

Jan 9, 2008
    We play a tougher schedule so people are expecting the worst. I expect us to be a much better team. I think we build through the draft and free agency for the next 2 years and make a deep run in 2010.

5. RealDriscoll

RealDriscoll Banned

Jan 9, 2008
    The Dolphins draft board should be interesting but I expect it to include the following..

Tyson Jackson-Defensive End-LSU
    Clint Sintim-Outside Linebacker-Virginia
    Peria Jerry-Defensive Tackle-Ole Miss
    BJ Raji-Nose Tackle-Boston College
    Brandon Spikes-Linebacker-Florida
    Rey Maualuga-Inside Linebacker-USC
    William Moore-Safety-Missouri
    Hakeem Nicks-Wide Receiver-North Carolina
    Duke Robinson-Offensive Guard-Oklahoma
    Max Unger-Offensive Line-Oregon
    Alex Mack-Center-California
    Larry English-Outside Linebacker-Northern Illinois
    Antoine Caldwell-Center-Alabama
    Rashard Johnson-Safety-Alabama
    Kenny Britt-Wide Receiver-Rutgers
    Garrett Reynolds-Offensive Tackle-North Carolina
    Jason Smith-Offensive Tackle-Baylor
    Eben Britton_Offensive Tackle-Arizona
    DJ Moore-Cornerback-Vanderbilt
    Terrence Cody-Nose Tackle-Alabama

6. RealDriscoll

RealDriscoll Banned

Jan 9, 2008
    If I had my choice is would be either Sintim, Nicks or Spikes.

Spikes is so versatile it is scary how good he could be. He could play inside but he has the ability to pressure the QB as well. Many regard Andre Smith out of Alabama as one of the best Offensive Tackle's in this draft and Spikes completely owned him.

I know some of the board's brass such as CK really likes Spikes. I am on board officially. If we could somehow land Spikes and Sintim, it would be the best day in my life probably.

7. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Yes please.

8. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Franchise Carey. Teams have loads of cap room right now.

A) This lets the team see what kind of offers they will receive for him.
    B) If no real offers come in it gives the team a year to draft a replacement and see if he can work out instead of letting Carey move on and being forced to draft someone who may or may not work.