1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Term Unemployed level highest in 50yrs

Discussion in 'Economics and Financials' started by padre31, Jul 25, 2010.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    [​IMG]

http://www.theatlantic.com/business...ariest-unemployment-graph-ive-seen-yet/60086/

That is an amazingly bad omen, in current America, when you lose your job you tend to stay unemployed for a very very long time.

gafinfan likes this.
  2. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

Along those lines a question padre. It has been stated and is widely believed that illegal workers only take jobs that American workers won't do yet there are figures that show that the lower income American being the one truly displaced and some 2 million of the stated unemployed are these Americans who would be filling said jobs if not for the illegals being here in the first place.

Your thoughts?

3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, such sweeping generalizations as "doing jobs Americans won't do" is folly and PC coverup of realities in the US workforce.

As if those who make that statement know each and every job that illegals are filling in the US, and yet even though in CA the percentage of illegals in the AG industry is surprisingly small, the idea that stoop labor is the purview of illegals remains.

I prefer the Swiss model in most things, including this, their national policy is rather permissive in good economic times, but they also reserve the right to eject workers who are non Swiss during economic downturns in order that the jobs can be filled by Swiss Nationals.

gafinfan likes this.
  4. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Honestly....

I think it has alot to do with the changes work places put into place at the beginning of the recession.

I know at the company I work for, layoffs took place, and less people were required to do more work. Changes were made to increase productivity, and as a result, less people are now required to do the same amount of work as before, and actually its even better than that......the downside is as demand picks up....hiring is not.

So...I think companies are looking to pad the bottom line by trimming labor costs, one of the biggest pieces of overhead they have. If I have figured out a way to do the same work with a third less.....whats the incentive for the employer to re hire that third back?

As well.....I wonder what the measurement for outsourcing has been the last two years....

5. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

Thanks I didn't know that. What a great idea.