1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long term PC gamer making the switch.... XBOX or PS3 Slim

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by Bumrush, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I've been a PC gamer since Quake 1 and have finally decided to retire the PC as a gaming platform. I simply don't have the time or desire to continually upgrade a PC to play games.

I've finally decided to purchase a gaming console but I'm torn between the PS3 and XBOX 360. I have Blu Ray players on both my LCD TV's, but I'm not happy with the quality of my Samsung players. They often have problems with newer discs. I do want to stream Netflix and already do so with my Samsung P1600 player via Wifi.

Here is my dilema. I don't want to run network cables, I prefer the Wifi option for Netflix and gaming. I know the PS3 has wifi built in but no Netflix. I know the XBOX requires an expensive Wifi upgrade that hasn't been rated too highly.

I guess I'm on the fence when it comes to which system to choose. From a pure gaming perspective, which is better? From a Blu Ray perspective, how is the quality of the PS3 compared to newer Blu Ray players on the market?

I also want the best possible graphics as I have a kick *** Samsung LCD....

Help!!

2. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Also,
    I HATE, I mean HATE using a joystick / game adapter for first person shooter games. I'm so used to the accuracy of a keyboard/mouse combo. Is one system easier to learn than the other?

3. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    I went with the 360 when I came back to a console. I have a Linksys bridge for my wireless connection and don't have any issues.

4. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    You will hate both systems for shooters probably, but the 360 controller is the better of the two overall.

The 360 is great, and has many great games. The wi-fi (or lack of) is a big turn off, especially given the price of entry. You can find old 3rd part xbox wireless adapters which do the job up to a point, and they are about half the price of the MS add-on.

The PS3 is likewise a great system, and makes streaming media a breeze. It has great games, though not as many exclusives as 360. As far as blu ray is concerned, it is still on of the best players on the market (though not the best). I have never had any issue playing discs on mine. The WiFi and free online play is a huge positive IMO.

Personally, if you didn't have a preference on games (in regards to one system over the other), I would say go with the PS3 due to entry price and versatility. If you think you will game a large amount, 360 has the larger online community, and better games overall IMO.

PS: If you want the best possible graphics on your kick *** Samsung LCD, be sure you get it calibrated by an ISF certified calibrator.

5. Phin-o-rama

Phin-o-rama Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new 360 elite bundle for $299 comes with the wirless adapter and halo 3 (lol)

[​IMG]

6. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Those new slim PS3s look nice, I was looking at them in Best Buy today. I love both consoles, but for just the $299 the PS3 is a much better deal. Those cheap ******** at Microsoft make you pay a significant amount extra for a wireless adaptor. [It's $100 brand new] Even the Wii comes wireless ready but yet you have to buy an expensive adaptor separately for the 360. That being said I love the controller and the netflix service kicks a lot of butt. But I could not live without Blu-ray. Or MLB the show. So I'm probably not being very helpful. Sorry. Get them both.

7. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    About time they did that. I'm pissed for having to buy one separately still.

8. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    I am about 99.9% sure that was a rumor that has since been debunked. The links I found listing that Halo 3 Elite bundle was for Canada only (from a UK link go figure) and the link said the bundle would go on sale August 28th and no deal of a Halo 3 Elite Bundle has found it's way to the US that I know of. Plus the article I found was still speculating that the 360 would drop in price and that happened about a week ago. So if the bundle does exist it seems like it isn't coming to the US but it appears to be someone doing some photoshop work. I could be wrong but that is the info. I found so far, if that bundle does exist it would be awesome but it appears that for now it is some photoshop wielding gamer's dream.

Link of the article I found:
    http://www.gamezine.co.uk/news/formats/xbox360/-300-bundle-=-xbox-360-elite-halo-3-and-wireless-network-adapter-$1320846.htm

Here is the link showing that the wireless adapter will not be a part of the new Elite system (plus Amazon and others still list it as an accessory). There may be some sort of bundle but so far I haven't seen an actual bundle with a link, so it seems it was a trumped up
    picture showing that it would be. However I am not saying it doesn't exist I have just yet to see a bundle link where it is on sale to pop up. Amazon has a deal where you can get Halo 3 as part of their new Elite bundle though or a year of Live free with a closeout 60GB 360.

Link:
    http://xboxlifestyle.net/2009/08/27/360-wireless-adapter-not-included-with-new-elite/

However like byroan and Stitches have said the WiFi problem on the 360 can be gone around.

As far as which system to get I say get the PS3 as it is the better all around value. I own both and unless you are huge into online gaming and need twitter and facebook then the 360 doesn't quite equal all the PS3 can do (and with updates coming to the PS3 promising cross game chat I think that even online gaming is getting very close).

First I'll start with some PS3 advantages. As far as online gaming if you are like me and just like to get online and play then really the PS3 is great. Moving on to Blu-Ray the PS3 has an internet update feature where it automatically updates to ensure optimal Blu-Ray quality. Yet another perk to the PS3 is that it comes with a self charging remote and with the 360 you need to buy a $20 play and charge kit or constantly buy AA batteries. Also as far as games go the PS3 I think is catching up fast. The exclusive games in terms of quality are quickly picking up with Uncharted 2, God of War III, MAG, Modnation Racers, Heavy Rain, and others. However I agree with others that if you are a first person shooter fan then the 360 is the way to go because other than Killzone 2 and Resistance 1 & 2 there aren't any real good PS exclusive FPS games whereas MS has the Halo and Gears series which are wonderful (plus the Left 4 Dead series).

Besides FPS games, 'Alan Wake' seems like it will be a great game and upgrading your 360 for $100 to Natal may be of interest (motion control gaming). Also the 360 will upscale your regular DVDs just like the PS3 will so there is another 360 perk. Also the 360 allows you to play custom soundtracks at any time whereas the feature is still supposed to be added to the PS3 (but it may never). I also think the 360 includes a headset whereas the PS3 does not and that can make up for the self charging controller of the PS3.

In the end with both systems being the same price the PS3 for me just offers better features. Plus the PS3 now is cheaper than the 360 (Elite) since you never need to buy an online service to play games and you get a self charging remote. In addition with the PS3 you don't have to worry with setting up your WiFi through any special methods. Overall the PS3 is now cheaper and offers better features.

However if possible get both. :D

9. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    what store is that at? Best Buy did not have one with the wireless adapter i think

10. Dolphin1184

Dolphin1184 Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Augusta, GA
    I used to be a keyboard guy as well.... until I started playing CoD4 for PS3. CoD4 completely 180ed my opinion of consoles and FPS. The controls are perfect.

As for the systems.... I have both of them. Unless there are exclusives on the 360 which you want to play (Fable 2, etc), I would go PS3. Really, it goes down to which system's exclusives you prefer. Also, find out what more of your friends play because there is no cross compatibility online-wise. If no preference, go PS3.

11. TJamesW_Phinfan

TJamesW_Phinfan New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Even consoles eventually get outdated. I have been a PC gamer since SSI's gold box series, the ULtima's, Sierra's stuff, hell even back to monochrome days. A little while back I dove into the PS3 world and like it a lot but I don't see my self ever giving up PC gaming completely.

12. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Being that you were a PC gamer and upgraded your PC regularly to keep up with modern games, i have to assume you're pretty technically inclined.

I would get a 360, flash the optical drive, and have all of the games for free.

#1 fan and Phin-o-rama like this.
  13. #1 fan

#1 fan Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    miami
    i have both. for me, the ps3 is the much better system. it has exclusives that were made for 1080p tvs (i have a samsung ln52a650 and metal gear 4 looks awesome on it). people will say the 360 has 1080p, but i can definitely tell the difference between the two systems on my tv.

also, if you're planning on using it for media, you can install any laptop hard drive you like (I have a samsung 500gb hard in mine).

however, if you can get the 360 modded, then that wins hands down. i pretty much only play my 360 now.

14. Phin-o-rama

Phin-o-rama Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2007
    sking is right ...that bundle with the adapter is canada only

sorry about that :tongue2:

15. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    no worries,

/off to Canada