Lombardi's opinion of the top players at each position

22 replies

rafaelrafaelForum VeteranOP
Aug 29, 2012, 04:11 AM

On NFL.com Lombardi provided his annual list of the best players at each position. I tend to like Lombardi's player evaluations and respect his opinions. (I don't always like his team evaluations b/c it seems that sometimes he lets his personal feelings about people he's worked with/against cloud his team evals, but I like his scouting ability with regards to individual players). I posted the positions that had Dolphins listed. We had several red chip players (top 10), but only one blue chip player (top 5). We had top players at DE, DT and CB on defense and T and C on offense. Bush was listed as being close at RB as well. Personally, I thought Dansby deserved a mention at ILB. I may not have put him on the list b/c he started off so poorly last year, but I thought he played at a top 10 level during the second half of the season. IMO we need Dansby to be a top 10 player for us along with finding a top 10 pass catcher (TE or WR) (actually he uses top 15 for WR), maybe a top 10 S and of course for RT to develop into a top 10 QB in this league for us to be a perennial contender again. I posted this b/c it shows that despite some media and fan perceptions, we're not universally seen as talentless. I think we have depth issues and some key holes, but this team is not devoid of talent. For comparison's sake, (I didn't check every team, just a few top contenders) the Ravens had the most players listed at 8, Giants and Packers had 6 and the Pats, Steelers and Texans had 7. This compares favorably with our 5 players listed and almost 6 since he said Bush was close. If RT becomes the player we hope he does then I think this team is on the right track. In this league it obviously comes down to the QB. I also thought it was noteworthy that he listed Sean Smith as a top 10 player at his position.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000055554/article/darrelle-revis-jason-pierrepaul-among-bluered-chips-on-defense?module=HP11_hot_topics

Definition of a blue-chip player
» Demonstrates rare abilities and creates mismatches that have an obvious impact on the game.
» Is a premier player in the league and a weapon on the field.
» Combines competitiveness and skill to provide a consistent championship-level performance.
» Rates in the top five at his position in the league.

Definition of a red-chip player
» Has abilities that can create mismatches vs. most opponents in the league.
» Is a featured player on his team and has an impact on the outcome of the game.
» Can't be taken out of the game in a one-on-one matchup.
» Is consistent from week to week.
» Plays at a championship level.
» Rates in the top 10 at his position in the league.

DEFENSIVE END

Blue chips
Jared Allen, Vikings
Trent Cole, Eagles
Jason Pierre-Paul, Giants
Red Bryant, Seahawks
Julius Peppers, Bears

Red chips
Jason Babin, Eagles
Justin Tuck, Giants
J.J. Watt, Texans
Cameron Wake, Dolphins
Cliff Avril, Lions

DEFENSIVE TACKLE

Blue chips
Ndamukong Suh, Lions
Vince Wilfork, Patriots
Haloti Ngata, Ravens
Darnell Dockett, Cardinals
Justin Smith, 49ers

Red chips
Kevin Williams, Vikings
Paul Soliai, Dolphins
Brodrick Bunkley, Saints
Richard Seymour, Raiders
Geno Atkins, Bengals

CORNERBACK

Blue chips
Darrelle Revis, Jets
Joe Haden, Browns
Lardarius Webb, Ravens
Johnathan Joseph, Texans
Carlos Rogers, 49ers

Red chips
Nnamdi Asomugha, Eagles
Champ Bailey, Broncos
Brent Grimes, Falcons
Sean Smith, Dolphins
Brandon Flowers, Chiefs

RUNNING BACK

Blue Chips
LeSean McCoy, Eagles
Ray Rice, Ravens
Arian Foster, Texans
Maurice Jones-Drew, Jaguars
Marshawn Lynch, Seahawks

Red Chips
Chris Johnson, Titans
Michael Turner, Falcons
Matt Forte, Bears
DeAngelo Williams, Panthers
Darren Sproles, Saints

Notes
» Tough to keep Adrian Peterson and Darren McFadden off the list, but both were hurt last year and must show they have still have the same talent -- and can play for all 16 games.
» Reggie Bush was close to making the red-chip list, but I couldn't take anyone off.
» Forte missed four games last year. He was a blue-chipper when he played, but the injury makes him a red right now.
» I fully expect Johnson to be a blue this year, but based on last year's tape, he was just barely a red.

TACKLE

Blue Chips
Joe Thomas, Browns
Jake Long, Dolphins
Ryan Clady, Broncos
Michael Roos, Titans
Duane Brown, Texans

Red Chips
Michael Oher, Ravens
Joe Staley, 49ers
Jordan Gross, Panthers
Bryan Bulaga, Packers
Andrew Whitworth, Bengals

CENTER

Blue Chips
Nick Mangold, Jets
Alex Mack, Browns
Max Unger, Seahawks
Maurkice Pouncey, Steelers
Ryan Kalil, Panthers

Red Chips
Mike Pouncey, Dolphins
Nick Hardwick, Chargers
Chris Myers, Texans
Scott Wells, Rams
Kyle Cook, Bengals

Killer BeesKiller BeesForum Veteran
Aug 29, 2012, 04:53 AM

It's good to see guys like Smith, Soliai, and Pouncey get their respect around the League.

ANAnonymousSupporter
Aug 29, 2012, 07:08 AM

Red Bryant ahead of Wake?

DisgustipateDisgustipateSupporter
Aug 29, 2012, 07:18 AM

Ryan Clady is a blue chip player??

ExplosionsInDaSkyExplosionsInDaSkyForum Veteran
Aug 29, 2012, 07:19 AM

Cameron Wake is going to have a monster year. He'll be a blu.e chip at seasons end. Same with Sean Smith. If Bush stays healthy he passes up Sproles as well.

shourightshourightNew Member
Aug 29, 2012, 07:22 AM

The problem IMO is that we have no offensive playmakers, including QB, on any of those lists.

FineasFineasLuxury Box
Aug 29, 2012, 07:57 AM

"Anonymous wrote:

Red Bryant ahead of Wake?

Red Bryant has to have been a mistake. How is a DE with 2 career sacks in 4 seasons one of the top 5 DEs in the NFL? I don't care how good he might be against the run (and he's not that good), a DE has to have some pass rush ability to be top 5.

:bighug: Toonie Luvs Ya

Stringer BellStringer BellSupporter
Aug 29, 2012, 08:03 AM

Seattle didn't give Bryant all that money for nothing. He is a monster. Really he's more of a DT or 3-4 DE, but in that defense it works.

“Come on, shake your body baby, do that conga!”

FineasFineasLuxury Box
Aug 29, 2012, 08:07 AM

"shouright wrote:

The problem IMO is that we have no offensive playmakers, including QB, on any of those lists.

Bush was close to making the list and I'd put him ahead of Lynch and Sproles. Our QB is a rookie. We obviously don't have a WR worthy of being on the list, but I'd put Fasano in the next group of 5 or so TEs.

:bighug: Toonie Luvs Ya

shourightshourightNew Member
Aug 29, 2012, 08:19 AM

"Fineas wrote:

Bush was close to making the list and I'd put him ahead of Lynch and Sproles. Our QB is a rookie. We obviously don't have a WR worthy of being on the list, but I'd put Fasano in the next group of 5 or so TEs.

The teams that are contenders have a QB and at least one other offensive playmaker on that list. That's where we need to get IMO. This year is all about getting Tannehill developed to the point where he can be on that list someday soon.

The Pats got Gronkowski and Hernandez, both blue-chippers and heavy-duty mismatch players in today's game, in the 2nd round or later a couple years ago. Amazing. Couple them with Brady and Welker, who are also on the list, and you see why they're still so potent on offense, despite not having a stud RB or deep threat WR.

DesidesDesidesForum Veteran
Aug 29, 2012, 08:32 AM

Michael Roos has no business being either a blue or red chip, and Jake Long is better than Joe Thomas--when healthy.

Other than that, it's a pretty good list.

@desides01

"Not you." — Tywin Lannister

DisgustipateDisgustipateSupporter
Aug 29, 2012, 08:47 AM

"Stringer Bell wrote:

Seattle didn't give Bryant all that money for nothing. He is a monster. Really he's more of a DT or 3-4 DE, but in that defense it works.

I always thought it strange how often players get conflated that don't make any sense.

Justin Smith is a 3-4 DE but considered a DT, while Red Bryant plays pretty close to the same position and is considered a 4-3 DE.

Bryant is quite good, but would you consider him a top interior linemen(whom he fits much better?) I don't think so, really.

FineasFineasLuxury Box
Aug 29, 2012, 09:46 AM

"Stringer Bell wrote:

Seattle didn't give Bryant all that money for nothing. He is a monster. Really he's more of a DT or 3-4 DE, but in that defense it works.

I'm not going to pretend that I have watched all of Red Bryant's snaps and evaluated each one. But PFF has and they have as the 48th best 4-3 DE. He has 2 sacks in 4 seasons and his other pass rush stats and underwhelming as well. His overall rating is in the negative, i.e., below average, and his 22 tackles is nothing special, nor is his 18 stops. Just don't see how he comes anywhere close to being a top 5 4-3 DE. To the extent he is viewed as a 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT, I don't think he is even as good as Starks or Odrick.

:bighug: Toonie Luvs Ya

Aug 29, 2012, 02:45 PM

Look at Sean Smith getting love as a top 10 CB. Love to see that as well as Long, Pouncey, Wake, Soliai and Bush.

dolfan22dolfan22Supporter
Aug 29, 2012, 02:50 PM

You could include Wake on the list of players there that could have bee acquired via free agency or trade , but quite a few players were available to be had.

Joseph , Rogers , Bailey , Asomugha ,Lynch , Turner , Sproles , Allen , Peppers , if Reggie produces like he did last year we can add him to the list.

Bottom line , make more right moves than wrong ones , in all areas and you can win ... we haven't done that and of course we need playmakers ... Tanneyhill hopefully is a start.

canesz06canesz06Forum Veteran
Aug 29, 2012, 04:41 PM

Brandon Marshall and Wes Welker are both red chips. Man, I wish we could have had guys like that on our team. Oh wait.................

NJFINSFAN1NJFINSFAN1Luxury Box
Aug 29, 2012, 05:00 PM

Interesting that Smith and not Davis is on this, I agree with it, but others won't.

Mcduffie81Mcduffie81Supporter
Aug 29, 2012, 05:16 PM

Cannot stand Lombardi anymore. He's just as wish washy as your average fan. Wasn't it last year he said Donald Penn was the games best offensive tackle? Penn didn't make either of his Tackle lists.

Do appreciate the post though.

"There is nothing to fear, except everyone trying to tackle me." - Ted Ginn Jr.

ANAnonymousSupporter
Aug 29, 2012, 05:20 PM

"Stringer Bell wrote:

Seattle didn't give Bryant all that money for nothing. He is a monster. Really he's more of a DT or 3-4 DE, but in that defense it works.

I agree that he's a good player but I don't see him as a better end than Wake.

MuckMuckRetired Admin
Aug 29, 2012, 05:24 PM

» Those who are surprised that Bryant qualified as a blue-chipper should talk to any team that has tried to run the ball in his direction. He is a dominant player.

Any wonder why the 49er defense is so dominant?

Blue chip DT (actually 3-4 DE)
TWO Blue chip ILBs
Blue chip OLB
Blue chip CB
Red chip safety

So basically a Top 5 lineman, three Top 5 linebackers, a Top 5 corner and a Top 10 safety. **** me....

Blue chip TE
Red chip LT
Red chip G

Blue chip head coach

I'd say a blue chip GM as well.

Make the throwback uniforms permanent!

Stringer BellStringer BellSupporter
Aug 29, 2012, 05:34 PM

"Anonymous wrote:

I agree that he's a good player but I don't see him as a better end than Wake.

Different position really.

“Come on, shake your body baby, do that conga!”

dolfan22dolfan22Supporter
Aug 29, 2012, 06:00 PM

"Muck wrote:

Any wonder why the 49er defense is so dominant?

Blue chip DT (actually 3-4 DE)
TWO Blue chip ILBs
Blue chip OLB
Blue chip CB
Red chip safety

So basically a Top 5 lineman, three Top 5 linebackers, a Top 5 corner and a Top 10 safety. **** me....

Blue chip TE
Red chip LT
Red chip G

Blue chip head coach

I'd say a blue chip GM as well.

The way to build a winner? and their QB till last year was a bust.

LBLBsFinestNew Member
Aug 29, 2012, 08:02 PM

Bush was close to making the list and I'd put him ahead of Lynch and Sproles.

lol you must be joking.

I'd put Fasano in the next group of 5 or so TEs.

I wouldn't. Gonzales, Owen Daniels, Gresham, Greg Olsen, Fred Davis, Pettigrew, and Celek are all better. hell even Dustin Keller is better.