1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lions WR Roy Williams a free agent possibility?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Rocky Raccoon, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Roy Williams getting fed up; thinks Lions could be cursed | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

:lol: and my favorite quote...

Now, this article does say Williams would like to go back home and play for a Texas team, but it also says he'll go wherever he is paid.

I understand the issue many have with throwing big money at a free agent, but this is one I think the front office should seriously look hard into. He's still young, a big target, athletic, extremely talented, doesn't cause any trouble, plays hard, etc. With receiver being a major problem with this team, I don't see how you could not even look at a guy like Williams once free agency begins. Don't forget, the Lions are most likely going to blow their team up and start rebuilding. Do you think they're going to pay him all this money when they already have another young stud at WR? I highly doubt it. And we should have the cap room to at least entertain.

your thoughts?

HULKFish likes this.
  2. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    If he becomes a free agent... Id pay him to come here if i were the FO. Id even chip in 20 bucks towards his salary to get him here!

HULKFish and MelbournePhin like this.
  3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I think he's a real possibility. Its either going to be a CB that is heavily spent on or a WR. Williams is probably the top target. That said, I think we will have a lot of competition with Jerry Jones. Jones has expressed interest in the past in acquiring Roy Williams or another big name. Williams is young so that will definitely draw interest.

4. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    He's the perfect receiver to line up a speedy #2 like Ted Ginn next to. Absolutely perfect. At 26-years old, I'd pay the price regardless. He's obviously a Pro Bowl player when healthy. Worthy risk for this football team, IMO. He's a guy who can turn an average offense into an extremely solid one. Just picture the Brown/Williams duo with Roy Williams, Ted Ginn, and Anthony Fasano. Pennington would surely approve of such a big target who isn't afraid to go across the middle, and that also sets Chad Henne up with an excellent core to grow with.

MelbournePhin likes this.
  5. MelbournePhin

MelbournePhin New Member

Nov 30, 2007
    melbourne,fl
    get him as a FA and draft a bunch of Defense and some OL depth and we suddenly have a .500 and better team

6. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

I wouldn't be opposed to trading for him THIS season either. San Diego overpayed in hopes of having Chamber sput their offense over the top. Roy Williams is vastly superior to Chris Chambers, but I still think he can be had for a 2nd round pick.

But he has to be signed long term. If he is just a rental, it would be a waste. But honestly, who else in the draft can you think of that would bring instant credibility, expereince and youth to the starting wideout corps than Williams and/or Boldin?

Those two should be our targets this offseason.

7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Why trade for him when he will be a free agent later? I rather save the draft pick and try to bid on him later.

8. HugeFinFan

HugeFinFan Woopsy Daisy!

Mar 22, 2008
    NY
    IMO, do whatever it takes to land Roy Williams. I really do like the potential of our young receiving core. I think Ginn, Camarillo, and Bess will be here for a long time. The size, speed and physicality that Roy Williams would bring to this offense would be THE perfect compliment for our young receivers.

Make it happen!

9. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    I doubt the Lions let him go. He'd be an attractive target if he did hit the FA market though.

10. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    The chances of the Lions keeping him, or trading him for fair value(for the lions) just got better today with Millen being Fired. We shoulda tried to get him while he was still there. we probably could have traded Millen an actual Dolphin and a late, late round pick for Roy. Millen would have probably pulled the trigger just to have a pet dolphin for himself.

11. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    I wouldn't be opposed to trading for him this season if Miami has a .500 record at the trade deadline. If he hits the open market I think he becomes a Cowboy and he clearly isn't happy there.

12. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I like the idea. Williams is a very solid wr who is proven. I hate drafting receivers because the failure rate is ridiculous so this would be a great alternative. Plus signing 1-2 big name FA's is fine as long as youre not overpaying by an insane amount. :up:

13. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    The things is the FO willing to overpay for him. Jerry Jones will bid very high for him no doubt. Their offense would be beyond sick. Imagine TO, Roy, Witten, Barber & FJones as targets for Romo. If you were Roy would you go to a team that is rebuilding or a potential SB contender?

14. Phinperor

Phinperor formerly In_Flames Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    I'd love to bring Roy to Miami...major upgrade to our WR core. :yes:

15. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    i'll tell you what....we NEED to bring in roy williams or nmandi asomugha...or BOTH

could you imagine? with a draft, we could pick up a linebacker and be loaded

16. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I'd still draft young. If I were to pick out of the free agency pool I'd pick a CB up as I'd already have drafted a WR this year and last year who could (potentially) grow into those same star receivers.

I know our receiving corps is not the strongest it could be (Ginn is still young and Bess is in his first year) but I would stockpile the defense big time. If we can't keep the other team from managing the clock we lose.

I'm reading a Phil Simms book right now. In it he says that one game that pitted the Giants against Miami that the Giants had the ball for 40 minutes of clock time. I forget the score but it was like 20-3 NY. How many passes do you think dan marino A)was able to get off & B)completed during those 20 minutes of time if the Giants KNEW he was going to pass the ball because he was coming from behind? The times are estimates and so is the score. . . at least on the Giants side. I know the Dolphins didn't score a TD that game.

17. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    I want us to get him but when I think about the current FO being satisfied with our current set of WR's (and still satisfied), I dunno if they're going to open their purses to pay for Roy Williams. I know Jerry Jones will and if you remember he brought in TO against Parcells' wishes.

18. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Because if you can get him during the season and lock him up long term, you get the benefit of having him this year as well.

Chances are probably very slim that Miami pursues this. But lets assume he doesn't get traded this season. Chances are that Detroit will franchise him, thus making it virtually impossible to get him (no one will pay him what he wants AND give up two first rounders).

If you trade for him now, you have him under control and going into his prime. He becomes the big red zone/over the middle target that Wilford was supposed to be and makes defense have to account for him and Ronnie Brown well before Ted Ginn. Meaning Ted can do what he does best...run down the field real fast.

Either way though. If he gets to free agency, I say we go after him. It will be tough because I can see Philly, San Fran, Arizona (especially if they lose Boldin), Seattle, Dallas and a myriad of other teams looking for his services. He could be one of the highest paid receivers, if not thehighest if he hits the open market.

19. ATLFINFAN

ATLFINFAN Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    IF......he hits free agency, I say no chance he comes here. JJ will put out to much money for us to be willing to match. #2..........he wants to play in Texas.
    I dont remember his injury history but, if he has much of one, this front office will not bother.

Detroint would be crazy NOT to trade him this year. I doubt they pay him AND C. Johnson. That is to much money tied up at WR.

20. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    we've got enough cap room to bring in Roy and Anquan. How badass would that be?

21. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    I'd piss my pants if that happened but considering how Parcells doesn't respect the WR positions as much as he does any other one, I find it unlikely we'd land even one of them.

22. BrazForPhins

BrazForPhins From south

May 4, 2008
    I'd rather have Anquan wearing aqua, though Williams would be great too

The problem is he wants to win AND play in texas...to me thats a direct shot like "hey Jerry, contact me as soon as you can".......we'd have to throw much more money than Dallas to bring him here

23. New Era

New Era Waterboy

Nov 28, 2007
    Well with new management...who knows what will happen with the Lions.

I just do not see new management coming in and letting him walk as a free agent. However, I do see them taking a long hard look at the Cards. They have 2 PRO BOWL WR's...but yet they would be shooting themselves in the foot in keeping them both with new contracts.

Players like Boldin & Williams will COMMAND HUGE contracts with their next team. I think they both will be with new teams by 2010. First will be Williams (Sets the bar for Boldin), then Boldin will follow the next season.

BOTH WILL BE TRADED in a sign & trade deal. Both will REQUIRE at LEAST a 2nd & 4th round draft pick. I would give a 2nd & 4th for either one of them.

Miami needs a TRUE #1...both fit the build.

24. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

Well PFT is hinting that Detroit is willing to hear offers for Williams and we have an extra second. I say lets do it!!!!!!!!!!:up:

25. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    THAT would be sick... Let's pick up him AND Boldin!! :eek:

26. New Era

New Era Waterboy

Nov 28, 2007
    Here is a couple of teams that MIGHT be willing to send a 1st for Williams.

1) Philly - They have 1 young might be stud WR, other than that....nada.
    2) Cowboys - Jerry Jones...simple as that.
    3) Jags - They have spent plenty of 1st round picks on bust. Now they can get a lock talent wise 1st round pick. Their running game is just now clicking, now they just need a WR that can make plays every game.

The above is my gut feeling on teams that could out bid Miami right now...that is IF Miami is even willing to send a 2nd round pick. The problem is that Miami could very well finish with a below .500 record. That means Miami will have to package up more picks with a 2nd round pick. I DO NOT SEE Miami offering a 1st round pick for Williams. But I can see the above teams offering a 1st round pick for him.

27. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I'd rather have Boldin as well. I wouldn't complain with Williams though.

I don't know about Philadelphia. I can't recall the last time they gave up a high draft pick. They always stockpile them and are near the top of the list every year in total draft picks.

Cowboys are certainly a possibility. Many former Texas stars like to go back to the state of Texas for comfort because they are heavily appreciated there. I believe that Roy has had problems, like other Texas stars, with fans and areas outside of Texas. In Detroit, they booed him and he was shocked because he was never booed in Texas. Its a comfort zone for many former Texas stars and there's a real chance he ends up there if he does indeed hit the market.

I don't know about Jacksonville. I just don't see it. They have no market which Roy probably wouldn't like.

28. BrazForPhins

BrazForPhins From south

May 4, 2008
    I agree with that...IDK about Philly and Jaguars...but the Cowboys match exactly the situation he wants, plus Jerry Jones is on the scene