1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lions Roy Williams told not to believe trade rumors

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by ATVZ400, Mar 26, 2008.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    As rumors swirled that the Lions might trade wide receiver Roy Williams, coach Rod Marinelli called Williams and told him not to believe them. Marinelli told Williams he was going to stay in Detroit and have the best year of his career. But Williams doesn't seem worried -- not about the possibility of being traded, not about entering the last year of his contract. He knows he needs to work harder, but he figures everything will take care of itself. Asked Tuesday about the trade talk, Williams repeated it was the nature of the business. At one point, he said: "If it's a football decision, it's a dumb decision. But if it's a business decision, then it's going to be pretty good. I just do what I can. I'm here right now." At another point, he said: "If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, I'm going to play ball wherever it's at." Does Williams want to stay in Detroit? "Oh, yeah," he said. "I want to stay here. I think we're headed in the right direction." -- Detroit Free Press

http://msn.foxsports.com/rumors/nfl#1

brandon27 likes this.
  2. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    interesting. this is one guy that I wouldn't mind trading for if we could. just imagine it...

1. roy williams
    2. ted ginn jr
    3. ernest wilford

3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    He stated toward the end of the season that he wanted out as well as Kevin Jones. KJ is already out . I know Roy said he would like to stay because they are going in the right direction (whatever that means in Detroit) but he did say he wanted out. I think he will be gone from Detroit after this year so I think it would be best for them to try and trade him.

4. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA

personally i think he could move on draft day. if not before. however, i've been wrong before. haha

5. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Lol we all have unfortunately.

6. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    true!

I just remember how vocal williams was all season. Seeing as I live just across the river from Detroit, I see alot of detroit news/sports. and it seemed it always seemed a bit disgruntled. Sure all the loosing would do that to a competitive guy like him, but then when he came out and said he wanted out of town, it just kind of confirmed everything, and really made it seem like they were going to try and move him.

Who knows, maybe now that Martz is gone... that could be the "right direction" that they are referring to. But youd think that working with the pass happy Martz, would keep a receiver like roy happy. you know he loves to play, and that he wants the ball every time they throw it. with calvin johnson there, I just dont see that happening for roy anymore. I think they may still be quietly trying to move him before he becomes a distraction.

Again... thats just my personal opinion. No facts to base it on at all :up:

7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I agree with your post 100 percent. I still dont know what Detroit would consider going in the right direction but hey.....

8. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    Why would you want to trde Roy Williams he is your best wide reciver I rember watching him a few years ago when he was in that thanks giving game agianst us he was great

9. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Well he basically wants out despite this report that just came out. I dont beleive what he is saying in it. He is a good guy and I dont think he would come out and demand anything with the press, he would keep it indoors I would think.

Its best if they trade him now because he is in a contract year and if they dont trade him, he leaves and they get nothing in return. He was a high draft pick and you always want something in exchange, not matter what it is.

I think if they dont trade him, they could be screwed once again and end up taking a wide receiver again in the first round. It seems they will never be satisfied with that position. And when they finally get it set, one wants to leave lol.

Detroit is a team with bad fortunes really. Matt Millen has done a terrible job that as well all know but Detroit has always had bad fortunes it seems aside from Barry Sanders.

They had Rick Mirer and he was terrible. They take Joey and he was terrible. They take Kevin Jones, and now hes not even there. That team has had bad fortunes mixed with bad evaluations over the years and god knows if they will ever get that right.

10. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    I I agree 100 precent I dont think he would demand out of Detriot but if he did I would not blame him maybe he can go play areana ball with Chad Johnson hahahahaha:sidelol::lol:

alen1 likes this.
  11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    :lol:

12. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA

IMO... they MADE joey terrible. theres no way in **** that a rookie QB such as him should have been throw into the mix, on a team that poor. As a result, the team turned on him, the fans turned on him, and his confidence was down the drain. I guess it doesnt matter now, he's got more cash than any of us can ever dream of probably. haha gotta love the NFL

13. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Lol true. But they still have sucha negative state on that team its ridiculous. You would think that one thing would go right for them. I am just crossing my fingers that Calvin Johnson comes to be what is expected of them because I dont want to see that team fail miserably again.

14. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    oh, I could see them continue to fail miserably and it wont bother me one bit!

Calvin Johnson becoming what they expected wont do them any good though, Roy Williams is exactly what they expected, and what big improvement has that made for them in the few years he's been there? One receiver isnt going to make a big difference for them. Millen needs to go, as far as im concerned Marinelli isn't anything special either. and Kitna, needs to go. Turn the team over to Drew Stanton. Thats not a knock on Kitna, his toughness and determination is through the roof, but he's just not getting the job done.

15. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I seriously think they just need to blow that whole organization up. Get rid of Millen, keep Marinelli becuase I think he can do a good job. Blow up the whole roster.

16. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    well they sort of started to this year, getting rid of shaun rogers, kalimba edwards, kevin jones. It was a start at least...

17. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeah I guess you could say that. They have a lot of garbage on that team. I think they will have to do more and it has to start with Millen. Until they get rid of him, I dont know if that team will ever go "in the right direction".

I heard that Leigh Bodden who they got out of the Rogers deal might not even be there. They might not keep him after this year or something. Is it because he doesn't fit the Cover 2 scheme? Hes a good player.

18. Cosmic

Cosmic Social Disease

Dec 10, 2007
    And don't forget Mike Williams and Charles Rogers-they do seem snakebit.

alen1 likes this.
  19. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeah totally forgot about them. Thanks.

20. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    poor coaching really brought these guys down. they were allowed to get away with anything they wanted to. just further proof that the whole detroit lions organization needs an overhaul