1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lions Make A Decision on First Pick?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by alen1, Mar 23, 2009.

1. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nationalfootballpost.com is reporting that KFFL.com has learned that the Detroit Lions will select Jason Smith first overall.

This is a pick that has been debated quite a bit here, or at least in the Club Level IIRC. I know many, like myself, like Jason Smith quite a bit. He's got great feet, plays mean, nasty and to the end of the whistle. He's got little technique though (partly because he hasn't played the position long) and from what I've seen on him, he will get caught lunging. With that said, I like him as the first overall pick but I wonder if Detroit should have gone the safe route. Aaron Curry is arguably the best player in the draft, if not top two, and he's also the 'safest pick'. Some will say that there is no safe pick in the draft and that's fine but you don't get much closer than Curry. He can do it all and while the Lions have acquired Julian Peterson to play outside linebacker for them, Curry can play middle linebacker. I believe he slid into the inside linebacker spot in college at times and did it well. I think Detroit could have gone with Oher at twenty, a guy who I think could be there but may not. There's also another guy that I like in William Beatty of UCONN who I think will be at twenty. However, I think the guy with the highest ceiling is Baylor's Jason Smith and that's the reason they likely selected him. Not saying its the wrong decision but I wonder if they could have gone Curry and say Beatty or Oher instead of Jason Smith and X.

Another note is that only one team showed up to Nate Davis' pro day. Apparently only Indianapolis went, a team that is set at his Quarterback position with future hall of fame inductee Peyton Manning. Ouch. I'm not sure why only one team showed up though, partly because I think Davis' is a good QB in a weak class IMO.

MrClean, ToddsPhins, SICK and 4 others like this.
  2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Thanks for the heads up.

3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    No problem.

I probably should have mentioned that they are also currently negotiating a deal with Jason Smith but I figured you all knew that already.

4. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

eh.

if you didn't have numbers it's not a big deal.

5. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    It's a good idea for the team with the first overall pick to start negotiating early....you don't want to have a guy like JaMarcus Russell dangling out there for months like what the Raiders went through. I am happy we locked up Jake Long early on last year. :up:

ToddsPhins and anlgp like this.
  6. vmarcilfan75

vmarcilfan75 blah...blah...blah... Club Member

Dec 13, 2007
    City Of Angels
    I still think its Stafford

7. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    :whistling:

Could it be? The Lions got an idea of who it is they want?

Could there be a little hitchy at the beginning of Stafford's delivery maybe? :whistling:

8. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    The Nate Davis thing makes me a sad panda. :sad:

9. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    [​IMG]

got you some bamboo.....

your welcome.

anlgp likes this.
  10. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I'm actually surprised because I believe they can get Beatty or Meredith at 20. The QB class as weak as it is you would think getting one of the top QB's would override the decision for a OT. But thats just my opinion.

vmarcilfan75 likes this.
  11. vmarcilfan75

vmarcilfan75 blah...blah...blah... Club Member

Dec 13, 2007
    City Of Angels
    thats what i think. :knucks:

Plus trading Kitna to Dallas

12. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Usually, one would assume that but when a class is weak, even at the top IMO, then you don't want to take a guy that your not comfortable and I think that's what it came down to (assuming they do take Smith).

BuckeyeKing and Stitches like this.
  13. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007

Agreed I actually like Drew Stanton I hope he gets a chance.

14. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    plus are the top 1 Qbs(Stafford and Sanchez) worth the #1 overall? I dont think so.

15. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Agreed, but in weak class and what Matt Ryan and Flacco did their rookie year, teams could risk it.

16. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yes, now how often does a Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco come? They are exceptions. I think that's something that teams have to realize. Some teams will think about getting their own Matt Ryan and will take the QB, hoping for success. Not that easy.

17. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    and i dont even think Stafford and Sanchez are even as good as those two.

18. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Listen I'm not saying they will I'm just saying how a GM might think. Other players success often clouds someones judgement. Its why I believe WR's have taken such a hit as of late.

19. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    And Ball State is in Indiana so they might've just made the trip since it was convenient for them. Makes me wonder what kind of turnout UCLA's going to have considering Harwell's the only prospect worth talking about.

20. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Ok, give me back my fence you thief. :shifty:

SICK likes this.
  21. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Hey, the same scenario worked for us as we passed on the top QB to select Long and grab a vet to help lead us. I'm not a fan of grabbing a young QB without first having the protection of a good line to ensure his development.

In Detroit's stage of the game right now, I almost feel a QB is a luxury at this point. If they want to turn their franchise around, this #1 pick needs to be an immediate impact... not a potential project.

I would have preferred the immediate impact of Curry for the leadership/face/future captain of the D, and then grabbed Beaty later.

MrClean and BuckeyeKing like this.
  22. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Don't forget though that they just traded for Julian Peterson, which probably influenced the decision regarding a linebacker.

ToddsPhins likes this.