1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linebackers suck, and the scheme is not helping them.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by hitman8, Nov 11, 2016.

1. hitman8

hitman8 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2016
    This defensive scheme puts a lot of pressure on the linebackers both against the run and the pass. The wide nine setup with the DEs to the outside leaves big gaps that the linebackers have to fill against the run, and the zone coverage scheme means linebackers are consistently having to cover and run with faster wide receivers.

That's why we are getting torched down the field every drive and the defense only works when the field is shortened in the red zone. The short field covers the weakness of our linebackers and scheme which is why we have been able to hold teams to field goals instead of TDs in the red zone and its the only reason we have been winning these close games.

We need to either change up the scheme to not expose the LBs so much or somehow replace these guys with some stud linebackers who can stuff the run and cover wide receivers at the same time.

2. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    You can espouse the weaknesses, but I don't think you have many realistic options to either completely completely change the scheme or upgrade in the middle of the season. Stud linebackers don't grow on trees. We all hope it's a priority in the offseason. Keep Alonso and the rest are expendable.

3. hitman8

Nov 11, 2016
    I agree we can't change the personnel at this point in the season, but we can most certainly change some of the scheme on defense to take pressure off the linebackers and cover our weakness there. In the run game you could adopt a more traditional formation along the defensive line with the DEs filling more of the inside gaps, maybe only use the wide nine on third down or passing situations. And in the passing game implement more of a man cover scheme for the linebackers where you asign them to the TE or RB out of the back field instead of having them chase wide receivers across the field.

4. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    making our defense more predictable to cover our weaknesses will sacrifice any advantage we gain with our pass rush and IMO teams will take advantage of it and it will be a net gain of zero. and to be honest, our outside LBers could be covering 300 pound Olinemen and they still would be chasing them down from behind.

5. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    We will be drafting linebackers next year no doubt.

6. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    I thought Butler has been playing well. He shot the wrong gap on that Forte touchdown run, but they had an extra lineman we failed to compensate for.

Jenkins is the only one I really question.

I'm always left wondering why Hewitt isn't starting in Jelani's place. He's been solid in coverage and the run.

7. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    I agree, altering the scheme at this point could do more harm than good in the short term, i.e. any playoff possibilities we might have, our playoff hopes, are just that, hopes, but I'd hate to see them dashed on the rocks because of a couple timely "adjustment" gaffs. We just have to ride it out this season, with small adjustments.

I'd like to keep Alonzo too, but I'd like to see if he can play WLB, or ideally, the designated coverage LB.

This wide 9 we run is based on the same D that JJ brought here, in fact, I think he invented it, not 100% on that, but I think he did, either way, it's a D that needs a better run stopper than Kiko, with at least decent coverage skills.

MLB is a critical position in this type of D, you practically need an above avg MLB for this D to operate properly, kind of like the NT in a 3-4, you just need a good one for it to work right, if I had a shot at a stud MLB in the draft, I'd have to take him.

Then at SLB, if we could get a better version of Misi, a LB that can flip sides without a problem, we could have Kiko play on either side the pass threat is on, so not really a SLB, MLB, WLB thing, but more of a swing LB, MLB and coverage LB.

Any way you want to look at it though, LB upgrade is needed badly.

Pandarilla likes this.
  8. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I think they play better when we have a lead... which leaves open there only being 2 of them on the field (in nickel) rather than all 3. I thought Alonso had his best game of the season vs the Jets. The Chargers are going to exploit our linebackers, no doubt about it. Gates/Henry/Gordon... will probably have at least 80 percent of their offenses yards.

Pandarilla and dolphin25 like this.
  9. hitman8

Nov 11, 2016
    Jimmy Johnson did not bring the wide nine here. His defense was a straight up 4-3 with mostly a man coverage scheme with an emphasis on speed. The middle linebacker did have to be very good, we had zack thomas then, but it was not really the type of wide nine that we are running now.

10. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    The wide-9 plays to our DL strength in general which in turn protects our coverage units. And it also suits the strengths of our individual DL. Suh has played his best in the wide-9. The wide-9 obviously suits a speed rusher like Wake and Williams and Branch were specifically brought in b/c they play better in a wide-9 scheme. Sure the LBs are a weak point, but they have been improving. Kiko has been above average the last three or four weeks. Butler has upgraded the unit since he's come in. IMO changing the scheme to protect the LBs and hamstringing our strongest unit is that last thing we should do.

Pandarilla likes this.
  11. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Maybe we could entice Patrick Willis out of retirement.

12. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    I didn't say he brought the wide 9, I said the W9 is based on his 4-3, and it is.

Truth is in fact, that JJ did bring the "W9" here, one of the main things that was "different" about the "Miami 4-3", that he developed at the U, was that the strong side DE lined up wide of the TE, in the 9 tech, hence the term wide 9.

JJ's D was not called the W9, but it was this innovation that led to the so called wide 9, other similarities include huge DTs and smaller faster DEs, but one fact remains;

when you spread the Dline out there is more pressure on the LBs, if there is more pressure on the LBs then having a good MLB becomes even more important.

That is what is the same as JJ's defense, the Dline is spread out, putting emphasis on LB play.

13. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    so bringing back a 32 year old by then LB who hasn't played football in 2 years until the next season starts, is your solution ?

14. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    It wasn't meant to be taken so serious because there use to be a theme here with regard to drafting Ted Ginn vs Patrick Willis, but sure. I think, if he could be talked into coming back, and if (as some say) this D would need a true MLB, then yeah. I'd knock on his door.

I'm pretty positive that chapter of his life has passed, but stranger things have happened.

15. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Watch Jenkins get a pick with a broken hand...

16. Hellion

Hellion Crash Club Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Here and there
    Fixed it for you. ;)