1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lets Clear up the Trade details

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by JimToss, Apr 23, 2010.

1. JimToss

JimToss Thank You Chad Pennington

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    This morning I am reading all over the boards that the Dolphins stole a 2nd and 4th rounder from the Chargers....This is not the case.

The Terms of the Trade are as Follows:
    Dolphins Get:
    Chargers 1st 28th Overall Pick (Odrick)
    Chargers 2nd 40th Overall Pick
    Chargers 4th 126th Overall Pick
    ILB Tim Dobbins

Chargers Get:
    Dolphins 1st 12th Overall (Mathews)
    Dolphins 4th 110 Overall
    Dolphins 6th 173 Overall

We got Chargers 2nd and swapped 4ths.

Just want to clear that up, both coverages did a sub-par job of showing trade details.

2. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    the phins didnt get enough in that trade

3. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Sure they did. We recouped our 2nd, actually higher than the original second, swapped 4ths and gave up a 6th. And got Tim Dobbins, who they apparently like. Works for me. Judge the trade after we see who we get at #40.

4. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ

i see it that the chargers moved up 16 spots for a second rd pk. the eagles traded 2 3rd picks to move up. You might be right jim1 maybe im very cranky stayed up to watch the draft and had to get up at 5:00am for work....:sad:

Rick 1966 likes this.
  5. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    Odrick seems a good fit, glad I slept on it before commenting... Our Run-D got better last night, not to mention our nickel and dime fronts!

Tin Indian, Silverphin and jim1 like this.
  6. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    That's a tough gig! This new format kind of threw me off, too.

7. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ

im on my 3rd cup of coffee :up:

mbmonk likes this.
  8. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Dobbins had a pretty good year, even tho Willis was in front of him. He's an upgrade over Ayodele and Reggie Torbor, even tho he probably won't be starting. He instantly becomes a stud STer as well. This could also open up the possibility of Torbor moving the OLB spot, probably as a backup, but would add depth at that position...If you remember, he played OLB for the G-men in the latter half of their SB year.

9. Vinny Fins

Vinny Fins Feisty Brooklyn dolfan ️‍

Oct 26, 2009
    Bklyn
    Depending on how this second round breaks and who falls to us (as well as what we get out of a perceived depth LB) will determine who 'won' this trade.

The reality is that you want BOTH teams to feel like winners, so you do future business.

Chargers perspective: We got our guy.
    Phins: We got TWO guys off our board.

We all knew we needed to recoup our second rounder this year, it was imperative. Everyone else knew it too. Fair value.

as per Jeff Darlington the Phins' picks remaining:
    40th, 73rd, 126th, 145th, 174th, 179th, 212th, 219th, 252nd

The draft is about bullets in the gun. We've got as many left as anybody in the dance.

MedicCaneGolfer likes this.
  10. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    I look at it this way, we got Odrick, Dobbins, and Marshalls 2nd back (and at #8 in 2nd round instead of #11 - huge), for only moving down 16 spots in 1st and 4th rounds, and shipping off one of our 3 6ths.

Our picks we moved to SD "according to the chart" total 1,296 points. SD's picks back to us total 1,206 points. Dobbins had a fifth round RFA tender on him (his original drafted round). So thats a 5th in place of the 6th moved. And we moved up to #8 overall in 2nd round.
    That is a very, very, very, solid trade on points and obviously Roster improvements. And we still have 9 Picks remaining.

And a final small but relevant point.....is only PAYING 28th pick Contract to a perceived and expected top 10 value. Odrick was too good to pass up for that alone.

ALL TRADE DETAILS CAN BE TRACKED HERE:
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d817b4621&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

USArmyFinFan, JimToss, Big E and 4 others like this.
  11. IceStorm

IceStorm New Member

Jun 25, 2008
    I'm looking at it like this.
    We gave them our 1st (12th pick)
    We GOT their 1st & 2nd (28th & 40th) in exchange

We swapped 4ths

We gave them our 6th.
    We GOT Dobbins.

12. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Didn't Dobbins have a 5th round tender as a restricted free agent? And wasn't he somebody they were looking at in free agency according to Ireland? Best of all, now we don't have to set thru the whole second round with no picks.

13. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    :yes::yes::yes:

14. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    I appreciate the breakdown. I was a bit confused on it last night because, like you said, neither network really explained what went down very well.

As much as I wanted Earl Thomas, I expected a tradedown to recoup the 2nd round pick. So I'm good with the trade.:up:

15. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    You have to look at both sides of the coin though. Picking 12th overall ensured a much bigger dollar figure, and since many projected Odrick a top 10 pick it created instant value.

The defensive ends taken before him in the mid teens do not appear any better or worse than Odrick, all three are dominant players. So basically we traded #12 and a sixth round pick for Odrick which shouldn't have been on the board, a potential starting linebacker, and #40.....the Dolphins ripped the Chargers off in all reality.

We will end up with three defensive starters for one starting running back (considering just the first and second round), where if we kept the pick we would have one starting defensive end (which may or nay not have been Odrick). How could this possibly be seen as a bad move? It was genuis.

MedicCaneGolfer likes this.
  16. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    I really like the trade. Although, admittedly I didn't realize we're moving back 16 spots in round #4. That's kind of a bummer. Having said that, getting their second rounder was HUGE IMO.

Maybe we trade down again in round #2 and pick up another third or maybe even another second rounder? As long as the FO gets the players they're targeting and picking up picks along the way, I'm happy.

Go Phins! :marble:

17. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    aint that the truth. I was watching the coverage on my dvr, and had to listen to the official background audio to hear the full details of the trade.

18. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Talking heads arent worth the time of day....

this is the only place to go for draft day trade details:
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d817b4621&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

It takes a few minutes to let them get it right and type it up...but its accurate the minute it hits the wire.....far more than the quick hits the talking heads try to give

19. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    I was predicting (to my son) -

Chargers 1st this year.
    Chargers 2nd this year.
    Chargers 2nd in 2011.

The "general" rule for picks is that a future pick is worth one less round than it's actual value. Taken that into consideration, the trade of 4ths, the 6th and the player make up the difference.

So let's say Miami got the Chargers 2011 3rd round selection INSTEAD of this years 4th, 6th and a player. Would you feel better?

Then again I'm not exactly impartial. I wanted a late 1st and an early 2nd worse than any player available at the 12th.

20. finsnchips

finsnchips Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    The ironic part of the deal is that we end up with Seattle's 2nd rounder, that had they not traded to the Chargers, would have landed them Brandon Marshall!!

USArmyFinFan, JimToss and SCPhinFan like this.
  21. JimToss

JimToss Thank You Chad Pennington

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    That irony tastes delicious.