1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leonard Fournette

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by patcobb, Sep 1, 2020.

1. patcobb

patcobb Active Member

Jul 28, 2011
    I don't know why we don't sign him. He had >1000 yards, > 50 receptions, seems to be getting better... I don't get it. We have more than enough cap space.

2. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I mean, you've got to wait to see who claimed him off of waivers first, he's not just sitting there with no one calling him as a free agent. I think we'll know at 4pm today.

You've also got to keep in mind the likelihood that there will be significant reductions to the 2021 salary cap, and they want to roll over as much space as possible. You might be in a situation in which the Dolphins are one of a handful of teams with room to operate in a year where free agent prices are depressed and some teams have to do significant roster purges.

3. patcobb

patcobb Active Member

Jul 28, 2011
    If he is not signed via waiver wire I don't think we will get him. Its only 4 million, its pretty insignificant esp with the amount of dead money we are still paying. I just feel like its possibly a very low risk, high reward...I just don't trust the RB room we have now. If we ever give the keys over to Tua, it would be nice if he had a running game to lean on

4. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    He cleared waivers with no takers...but he's also suing the Jags for his salary this season. That may be why other teams passed.

5. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014

patcobb and resnor like this.
  6. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    How is Caldwell still employed?

7. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    There's a reason he was A) cut and B) cleared waivers. Guy is a total head case. Hard pass for me.

Besides, Howard is a better back with the same skill set IMHO.

8. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    It's a bit of a weird situation. On one hand, the guy doesn't seem to have endeared himself or shown himself to be a responsible teammate.

On the other hand, the Jags have been atrocious offensively, and Coughlin rubbed a lot of people on the team the wrong way to the point they wanted out (see Ramsey and Ngakoue among others). How much was just frustration with the situation vs. a guy who doesn't have his head screwed on right?

This one where I'd trust the front office's decision either way. If they feel they have a good read but Grier and Flores don't think the talent outweighs the risk, then I am OK with passing. If Flores thinks he can handle it and Grier thinks Fournette can be a value add? I'm good with that too.

9. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Tampa

10. patcobb

patcobb Active Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Those are very good arguments. The eye test to me is that he is a solid bell cow type running back who may be a little like beast mode with 1000 yards rushing and over 50 catches on the cheap. He may be a huge head case. I guess time will tell. I would think he would help the rookie o line as well. I like Howard and Breida but Howard has an injury history and Breida is not as good as blocker. I hope he does well in Tampa. I also hope we don't regret not signing him.