1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LeBronamania bigger than Marino/Shula?

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by BlameItOnTheHenne, Oct 11, 2010.

1. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    This is a Jemele Hill article so brace yourself.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?id=5672996

2. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    20 years from now? probably.

3. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    This.

But for now, in South Florida, Marino and Shula have dandruff more prominent than LeBron.

4. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    Lebron will never be bigger than Wade down here. And Wade will never be bigger than Marino and shula. Lebron may be a bigger name bnationally than Wade but I have to believe the fans see him as the leader.

5. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Well, the day it happens, I'm sure ESPN will air a r hour special about it. :shifty:

Fin D, adamprez2003 and RickyBobby like this.
  6. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    I can't stand Jemele Hill and I don't think I have it in me to sit down and read an entire article written by her, but I definitely agree with the quoted text. Certainly.

7. High Definition

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    Agreed, though Dwyane Wade has surpassed Dan Marino in my eyes and Pat Riley is pretty damn close to Don Shula. If this team succeeds, he'll jump him as well. I know most people will disagree, but that's just how I feel. I am equally a fan of the Dolphins and Heat so there is no bias there, though I will admit.... a lot of what Shula did here was done before I was even alive, so it's much easier for me to understand and appreciate Pat Riley.

8. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    I put Jai Alai and dog racing above the Miami Heat.

9. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    They'd have to make a 90s Chicago Bulls type of championship run for that to happen. We're a decade away from Dan's retirement now. Some people don't even remember how good he really was. I don't know how many people in America actually care about basketball more than football. Maybe it's different in Miami. Up here and definitely when I was down in Georgia, football was king. It isn't even close.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  10. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    You are not a fan of theirs.

You are a resentful, spiteful, hateful, jealous Knicks fan.

The Question was NOT for you.

Mainge, High Definition and SICK like this.
  11. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    The answer is this.

Wade has already surpassed Marino. He had the same career trajectory, except that Wade won a title when Dan lost in Palo Alto to SF. That is the only difference.

But as sports heroes, they are at least equals.

This current Heat incarnation is going to have to go nuts and then Pat Riley overtakes Don Shula.

But Dwyane Wade is already the biggest sports star in Miami History.

it also helps that D-Wade is accessible, does alot of charity work, and is perceived as a nice guy.

Dan Marino was and is a complete and utter jerk. (and I consider him a god)

High Definition likes this.
  12. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I just can't agree with that statement. Dwayne Wade has revolutionized the game of basketball? He won't even be the best player on the team this season. He's good but Dan Marino is a living football legend. He is one of the best players ever at any position. I'm not going to type ten pages explaining why it's ridiculous to fault one man on a football team for not winning a championship. Football has a million more components that need to go right to win it all then the other major sports.

13. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    we have gone over this before. due to the fact that basketball was the last of the four sports i got into and the least favorite, i started watching it when larry bird and magic johnson came into the league. i was a celtic fan first, then because i had to choose a new york team, i chose the knicks just in time for the most underrated great player ever bernard king (the billy sims of basketball). i continued with my knick fandom through the pathetic patrick ewing era, suffering through charles smith missing 436 layups in a row, watching ewing play like he was a forward with his 20 foot turnaround fadeaways. watching pat riley personally blow the finals by sticking with a dismal starks shooting 10% in game 7, patrick ewing's missed finger roll vs the pacers and the ridiculous nba theft when the knicks were destroying the heat and the fight broke out. instead of benching all the knicks for the next game the league basically handed the heat the series by splitting the suspensions. after that i gave up on the kniccks. couldnt take the abysmal ewing and the front office. became a nets fan and have been one since.

now that is not to say the knicks couldnt win me back. honestly basketball is so boring and there are so few players that you end up rooting for the players more than the teams but the way my fandom breaksdown is

local team : Nets
    national team keeping lakers in 2nd place all time: celtics
    spurned lover: knicks

having said all that lebron, wade and whats his name cant compare to the greatness that is Piston I, Joey, Churraca or Rocking Ship R.I.P

14. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Dwayne Wade isnt worthy of wiping Dan Marino's @#$

Finsanity likes this.
  15. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    So much wrong here.......

Leave it to a Knicks fan to ***** about the refs during the Knicks/Heat series of the 90's.

The Heat regularly got screwed by the refs in favor of the New York holes.

it has been that way since time and memorial.

In fact, one of the Donaghey rigged games was a game he rigged in favor of the Knicks over the heat. It's in his book. Look it up. He said the league pushed and "helped" the knicks in the 90's.

There is a ref called "Knick" Bavetta for gods sake.

16. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    The question is/was WHO is the bigger deal here in Miami.

The answer is Dwyane Wade, and there is really no debate about that.

There is actual evidence to support it to.

17. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    WHAT would compel you to make this post?

Are you now TRYING to live up to the New York fan stereotype?

Please go root for the Jets. You belong.

18. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    so you agree that Rocking Ship was better than Lebron and Wade

19. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    dolphins fan board remember. maybe you should be posting on heatsfreak

20. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    I am partial to Javi'.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  21. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    I already do. maybe you should be posting on Gangreen, jetnation....

SICK likes this.
  22. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    because i think marino is head and shoulders above dwayne wade :lol: clearly you dont understand football or fandom

23. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I don’t blame you at all, but the vast opinion in South Florida has Don Shula as Zeus, Marino as Hercules, and then a Grand Canyon between them and everyone else.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  24. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Dwyane Wade. Not "Dwayne."

I understand football and fandom plenty.

I live here remember?

You don't.

The question was WHO is a bigger icon down here in MIAMI.

Dan Marino doesn;t even get the loudest ovations at Heat games.

Dwyane Wade got a standing ovation at the Dolphins/Jets game last year.

Dwyane Wade gets THOUSANDS for a charity autograph signing.

Dan Marino can't sellout his own charity Golf Tournament.

Danny boy is kinda of a jerk in person...people know this. It has effected him.

25. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    typical of the front running nature of the town. marlins, panthers, heat with shaq, but as the fads fade, the dolphins always return to prominence. shula and marino will always overshadow the heat longterm. in the shorterm the heat are the story but if this dolphins team wins a superbowl that will completely overshadow the heat. And thats wwith Henne and Sparano. maybe i'm wrong, but i like to think of miami as a football town first and foremost. in twenty years the perfect season of shula should still hold a higher place then the five early exits the heat make in the playoffs

26. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    It's changing.

Only a Dolphin Super Bowl victory can stop this momentum.

Good luck to us all with that one!

"five early exits"? huh?

27. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    The Hierarchy in reality now is like this:

Don Shula
    Dwyane Wade
    Dan Marino
    Pat Riley

High Definition likes this.
  28. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    that would be sad

we're on our way. we are so close. dont think we'll need luck with anything but injuries

:shifty:

29. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    A great example is the New England area....

For YEARS...it was the Red Sox and Celtics and nobody else got any pub.

Then the Pats started winning and they became the #1 franchise.

The Celtics got ignored.

The Red Sox began to see some lighter crowds.

The Red Sox won, the Pats remained..the Celtics got really ignored.

The Celtics won....the Red Sox interest stayed...the Pats fandom suffered...

and we are right back to where we started...

Boston is a Celtics/ Red Sox town.

whoever is winning gets the love.

Desides likes this.
  30. Merauder

Merauder Perseverance

Dec 16, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    It's hard to compare legacy's. Dan Marino and Dwyane Wade both have their place in South Florida sports history. Personally, I am a huge fan of both the Dolphins and Heat. I would say I'm more of a Dolphins fan but both men are legends and to say one or the other has a greater legacy isn't fair. Wade won a championship, yes. But you can't detract that from Marino's career.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  31. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    well that's true. but like you said at the end of the day the town of boston is and always will be a red sox/ celtics town. the pats and bruins may steal some of the thunder when they're good but they always return to their roots. like i said maybe i'm wrong but i believe miami is first and foremost a dolphins town. other teams when they have success or a chance of success may steal the flash but at the end of the day i would hope that miami stays a football town

32. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Sec is making the point that Miami isn’t a frontrunner town, though. Boston is regarded as a loyal and great sports city, but you just agreed that they play favorites and they trend toward the winners. So how can Miami be a crappy sports town but Boston can be a great sports town for doing exactly what you accuse Miami of?

It’s worth bringing up that people under 30 have no cherished memories of victorious Dolphins teams, and in fact they’ve come into sports fandom during some of the team’s worst years. It’s a very real possibility that over time, Miami becomes a basketball town.

Section126 likes this.
  33. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    well how is attendance at marlins and panthers games. thats how you judge frontrunner towns. if fans support the teams when they suck they arent frontrunners. i dont mean the marlins and panthers suck but neither is at a championship level.

34. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    No one cares about the Panthers, but that’s because no one cares about hockey at all down here.

The Marlins are huge in local TV ratings. People just don’t want to go to Sun Life Stadium in the middle of summer. Sit in 95 degree heat for 3+ hours to watch a team comprised of budding stars who historically get traded or released rather than paid? Why bother? I think the fact that the Marlins still draw huge TV ratings and opening day crowds of 40,000+ is indicative that there’s a fanbase there. We’re not exactly talking the Yankees fanbase, but the Marlins’ image nationally is completely manufactured crap.

Plus we don’t want to give Loria any more money than he already steals through revenue sharing.

35. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    thats a shame. that was a good panthers team. would've been nice to see something grow there.

so you expect the new Marlins stadium to change attendance upwards. i believe it will be the third smallest stadium in terms of capacity. it would be cool if it starts selling out. you've put together some nice teams periodically

how was attendance for miami games before they became a playoff team?

36. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Yes, for a couple of reasons. The dome, air conditioning, the location being more convenient for the Hispanic community (huge baseball fans), etc.

And lower seating capacity is a popular trend in new MLB stadiums.

Odd question. The Heat have made the playoffs more often than not throughout their history.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  37. High Definition

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    Who is Dwayne Wade?

No disrespect to adamprez. He's a great poster and I enjoy reading his Dolphins related stuff, but come on guys.... you're talking Miami Heat basketball with a New Yorker. You're not going to get anywhere. Not even worth it.

adamprez2003 and SICK like this.
  38. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Gotta disagree Section... Wade is godlike to most Heat fans, but Marino is considered one of the greatest QBs of all time. Before he injured his Achilles he was also durable and never got injured during his prime. Wade has been injured a good percentage of his career here and has not been as durable as Marino had been. Perhaps in a few years if and when Wade wins a few more championships and the Heat become a dominant team we can make this case, but for now Marino is still king.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  39. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    he's the brother of dwyane wade who went to school and learned how to spell dwayne.

lol. you're probably right about that

40. High Definition

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    Also, the Dolphins are DONE as "top dogs" in this town for the first time in franchise history. DONE. I don't even think it's close. This is the Heat's town now and that's that. I actually heard a sarcastic "LET'S GO HEAT" chant at Sun Life Stadium as the Dolphins were being blown out last Monday night.

This is one of the biggest fair weather sports cities in America. Not too many people aside from us die hards give a rats *** about the Miami Dolphins right now. Everyone is looking forward to October 26th.