1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

League Happy/Unhappy/Ambivalent anbout early announcement?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bpk, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

With NFL Network trying to market itself aggressively, and to fill tons of airtime with pre-draft fodder, it seems to me the league would be unhappy with our early announcement. It is entirely ALLOWED for us to do this, mind you, but I still think it impacts the NFL negatively.

To a large degree, the NFL Network is depending on drumming up excitement and anticipation about who the #1 pick will be. It's in their promos that have even running all month ("And with the first pick in the 2008 draft the Miami Dolphins select...."

Well, Parcells and Ireland let the air out of that balloon.

This is not without precedent. As you may recall, Houston signed Mario Williams before the draft two years ago. The difference, however, is that now the NFL Network is fighting to grow aggressively (and to justify its price tag to cable companies). Whith the myster and anticipation of the first pick gone, they lose a big marketing draw.

I would not be surprised, as the NFL financially benefits more and more from owning its own network, if the NFL eventually forbade teams announcing their pick before draft day. Perhaps they can sign them, but the cannot announce them.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

2. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I think the overall draft weekend experience won't be upset by his signing. Remember it's really only affecting most Fins fans...in fact, for Rams fans, it's almost like getting the first pick in the draft all over again... I think the aura of the draft won't be affected by this move. It certainly wasn't with Mario Williams...most people were shocked that they didn't take Bush so it gave them something to talk about anyways...likewise, I think most people thought we'd take Chris Long (at least until a week ago) and now they'll have something to talk about...

The #1 overall pick is only exciting when there's some other drama to go along with it...like Manning vs. Leaf or Eli/Rivers/Ben a couple of years ago, or Bush/Williams/Young mentioned already...

JMHO, but I'm no less intrigued right now for our beloved Fins than I was before...in fact, for anyone who was convinced we'd take someone else, they'd have to rethink the rest of the Fins draft at this point...

3. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    It might play into their favor. Ther could be a lot of moving and shaking going on now. Teams might trade up after Ryan and McFadden, who knows. I really don't think it hurt them at all, if anything it draws more attention to it right before it starts. The way I see it is there are 2 kinds of fans, those who are going to watch it regardless and those who aren't. I will watch regardless.:up:

4. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported on Tuesday that the St. Louis Rams, who hold the second pick in the NFL draft, were told today by the NFL management council that they do not have permission to begin negotiations with any player now that the Dolphins have signed Long. A league spokesman said there have been internal discussions to determine whether the Rams have the right to negotiate with a player or players.

The novelty of Long's early signing Tuesday created some uncertainty. Normally, if the team selecting first signs a player before the draft, it happens in the 24 hours leading up to the first pick, which allows very little time for the team with the second pick.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/news/story?id=3358424

Bpk and sws84 like this.
  5. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I don't see it as an issue. The type of fans who typically are into watching the entire draft like us know the real mystery and intrigue happens in the picks after the first 10. Which players will slide, how far, who will find value in the late rounds, what teams will make draft day trades, etc. etc. Anybody who is upset that they already know who the first pick is probably didn't plan on watching the whole thing anyway.

6. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007

Really? The NFL can forbid the Rams from talking contract? I smell Lawyers beating down the doors right as I type

As for the NFL and its network...TFB I say.

Bpk likes this.
  7. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    I was thinking the samething....

8. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    NFL will show those lawyers how their backhand is strong, trust me :up:

Draft starts at noon, they let one team negotiate, but that's it. If you start to let it go on and so forth it gets messy. What if Dolphins change their mind (i'm sure it's in the contract possibly). What if four teams sign their guy, and one in the middle changes their mind. Etc.

Also, what if at noon on Saturday the draft starts at #5? Or #6? How absurd would that be? It would destroy the system.

OH< and the NFLN isn't crying. They move fast. At 2am pacific time I saw a commercial, it was all about Jake Long. At the end it said something like Believe in Jake Long or something. NFL Is a machine, nothign slows it down.

Bpk likes this.
  9. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

This is not going to hurt the NFLN one iota, they will find many ways to take advantage of it, for example play up the #2 drama in the St. Louis market, etc.

I imagine the first ten minutes might have about 5-10 less viewers from Miami area though.

10. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I thought that myself yesterday that the league may be unhappy about our announcement. It takes alot of the interest out of the first overall pick. But, I wouldnt think that most of the people who watch the draft watch just to see who the first pick is, and then turn it off. The anticipation of the "first" pick now just transfers over to St.Louis. The unpredictability of the entire process still exists, and that is what generates the "Excitement" along with the anticipation of knowing who you team will take. That being said, it could have upset some at the league office... but too bad for them.

11. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    I wish they hadn't announced it to be honest. I think it helps St. Louis and other teams too much. I would rather have them sweat all the way to the wire about who we were picking.

NJFINSFAN1 likes this.
  12. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Tough doo doo for the NFL Network and their excitement over the first pick announcement. We did not want a "JaMarcus Russell" holdout, so I am happy the deal is done. If the NFL Network has issues with the pick being announced early they can always bring it up with the Commish.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
    azfinfanmang likes this.
  13. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007

I think you mean JaMarcus Russell, but yeah, I agree completely...

14. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO

Yeah that JaMarcus guy....I hear he is pushing 300 pounds. :lol:

15. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I personally wish you were not allowed to sign anyone until after the draft, but that's just me.

16. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Some great points raised by you guys.

My thoughts:

1) I'm not surprised to see the league safeguarding what suspense is left in the draft by forbidding the #2 team to also sign someone before Saturday. If all the top talent were off the board, some of the suspense would be gone.

2) I feel bad for the big ThePhins.com club level contingent who have booked flights, hotels and tickets to be AT the draft this Saturday in anticipation of that #1 pick. Then again, it might be MORE fun for them now that they can just enjoy it without the anxiety of worrying about who we'll pick!

3) you're right that the focus now shifts to St. Louis... as does the drama. I have a buddy who is a Rams fan and I'm considering inviting him over to watch the first round.

Bpk