1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Late additions impressing

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CrunchTime, Dec 24, 2012.

1. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007

Ireland seems to be doing a better job of finding good acorns .:yes:

gunn34, Da 'Fins, Marco and 6 others like this.
  2. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I have to admit. Patterson went ham on Sunday.

Steve-Mo and SICK like this.
  3. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Binns was the first guy to really help Tannehill on iffy throws this season....twice.

Bpk and ToddPhin like this.
  4. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Coach Coyle said Patterson has been on their radar since preseason and Binns brings a nice size/speed addition to the table. Two nice late season signings.

5. oakelmpine

oakelmpine New Member

Oct 16, 2012
  6. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Yeah, he had nowhere to go but up, compared to his off season acorns.

7. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    NolesNPhinsFan likes this.
  8. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Anxious to see what Patterson does against New England. Missed this past weekend's game, but from the sound of it, I get the impression he made a good impression.

9. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

C-C-C-C-Confirmation bias :wink2:

ckparrothead likes this.
  10. juju.simba

juju.simba New Member

Aug 23, 2012
    and hopefully ireland will find some more in the off season and also stop bringing back [his old dolphins favourites] who always get cut after a week or 2

feinga ,baker etc come to mind

NolesNPhinsFan likes this.
  11. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    I'd especially like to keep Patterson around for next season. He's got some years left and could be our new Will Allen for the next 2-3 years. I liked Will Allen while we had him and Patterson reminds me of him.
    As for Binns. This is a guy who was actually a starter in Cincy during the beginning of the year. He has some talent so it would be wise to keep him around too. Good signings.

juju.simba likes this.
  12. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    he did actually..Brought a different look then were accustomed to around here, tight covage, some awareness, good tackling day...I was shocked because it doesn't make any sense that he was available, I'll wait to see if weaknesses start showing their ugly head, they usually do in these circumstances, basically what I'm saying is he looked too good for a player that got cut..lol

13. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    That's a fine scenario, the corner added however would have to be that of the high draft pick variety, 2nd rounder at the latest..

14. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Not that early..lol

15. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Too rich for my blood on the corner position..unless you think he has Revis potential.

16. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    New Dolphins cornerback Dimitri Patterson made a strong case to stick around beyond this year in Sunday’s win at Buffalo; Ryan Fitzpatrick completed only 2 of 8 passes thrown against him for 11 yards. Let’s see what Patterson, cut by Cleveland last week, can do against Tom Brady & Co. Sunday. He’s due $4.5 million next season if Miami keeps him around. “We were really impressed with his ability to pick up the scheme number one,” defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle said. “We certainly were happy to have him join us here last week. On tape we liked him a lot. We had looked at him prior to the season actually. Back in the spring time he was a guy who we had on our radar who we liked. So when he became available we felt good about getting him in here and it was a matter of whether he could get up to speed fast enough. He played a very, very solid game for us.”

ssmiami likes this.
  17. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Nice to see Patterson & Binns doing well. I can't imagine us paying $4.5 M to Patterson though. That's a lot of coin for a 29 year old who has had 5 career INTs (4 in one season that got him this contract). He might be the best option at CB next year but still ... maybe we cut him and try to resign or restructure.

Binns, oth, looks like he could be a good addition if he works hard in the off-season. He has the size, speed and hands. I think it will come down to the same thing it does for a lot of these guys - how dedicated do you want to be working hours on end in the off season in route-running; concentration; developing your body; mental toughness; etc.

Nice to see that Philbin likes what Martin is doing also.

djphinfan likes this.
  18. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Restructuring Patterson would be ideal. Maybe give him some sort of roster bonus that doesn't count against the cap, but pays him enough to be happy. He's a good corner; you don't let those walk if you can help it.

19. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Everyone always making it seem as though we had such high hopes for these camp fodder scrubs like Hicks and Naanee........ just trying to build your case against Ireland ? Ofcourse the Solai signing is completely ignored as usual. He hit the market. Everything is being skewed to focus on any and all negatives in an attempt to character assassinate.

We signed 4 relevent free-agent contracts. Garrard (injury), Solai, Marshall(injury), C.Johnson(arrest)....... still not great results. But i don't see what makes anyone think the GM fumbled the ball. I'm sure Mario Williams, Matt Flynn and Laurent Robinson would have been a home run though. :wink2:

Anyway... with Dmitri Patterson and Richard Marshall going into camp next year...... we may be able to sign one corner ( whether thats Smith or not ) and be pretty solid back there. I also liked what i saw from Binns in Cincy and was happy we picked him up. Still like Matthews better.

GMJohnson and gunn34 like this.
  20. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Dimitri Patterson falling into their laps was luck. I mean come on, the guy just signed a $5 million a year deal this off season, and has tape out there of him playing exceedingly well as a slot corner. It's not like this was some nobody that nobody wanted and we uncovered him and he turned out to be great. He's a known quantity, which is why I talked about him so much this off season, and he's playing like the known quantity he is. Having Dimitri Patterson fall into your lap ex-signing bonus is like having Jason Babin fall into your lap ex-signing bonus. Gene Smith isn't going to be any less fired this off season because he "found" Jason Babin. If anything the "finding" of Dimitri Patterson merely highlights a failure during the off season, signing Richard Marshall to play a position they clearly should have gone after Dimitri Patterson to play.

Armon Binns, on the other hand, was not a known quantity. Nor is he. I've been a fan of his since the Draft but he's not exactly made me look prescient for that. If he does well, all credit to the front office. But for now I think there's 2:1 odds he's not even on roster Week 1 of 2013...so I'm not sure we should be isolating an Armon Binns and saying wow Jeff Ireland is really making some sweet moves out there.

21. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    By no means should his signing prohibit this team from making drafting a wr(s) a major priority. Ireland has to address the playmaker positions on this team this offseason. He has to do it.

22. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    It took 11-year veteran Jabar Gaffney four weeks to see the field after signing earlier this season, but Binns was active right away for the Dolphins. Sunday against Buffalo, he caught three passes for 27 yards, two of which converted third downs.
    “He made some nice blocks, as well,” offensive coordinator Mike Sherman said. “The nice thing about when you bring in a player like that at this time of year with a limited amount of time is not having mental mistakes, and he didn’t. He did a phenomenal job of just learning the offense.”
    Philbin agreed.
    “He’s worked really hard at it,” Philbin said. “He appears to be a bright guy, so I think the work ethic and the intelligence and the staff taking the extra time have enabled him to get caught up pretty quickly.”

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/s...ns-recent-signees-might-make-impact-in/nThLt/

23. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Aaron Binnacle already signed to a contract for next season, would be nice to reduce the # of WRs we have to draft or take in FA this off season.

24. Perfectville_USA

Perfectville_USA Mr Perfect

Dec 27, 2012
    Syracuse NY
    Binn got some real natural talent, happy we got lucky to add him to our roster.

Dolphin_Girl likes this.
  25. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    Honestly, I wouldn't let Binns signing enter into it much at all. Go at it as a priority and let it sort itself out.

26. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Who is Aaron Binnacle ?

27. PhinsRock

LOL my auto correct must have changed Binns to Ninnacle and I didn't notice it.

dolfan32323 likes this.
  28. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    LOL. Great autocorrect there.

29. PhinsRock

LOL crazy isn't it? I gotta start paying closer to that so my posts make more sense. Especially since many make no sense anyway.

dolfan32323 likes this.
  30. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    lol Aaron Binnacle sounds like some country club yuppy.

31. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    [​IMG]

dolfan32323 likes this.
  32. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    ^^^ Those Cambodian vegetables are where it's at though, I import all my esparagus and breast milk from there.

33. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Aren't you a bit old for breast milk? Or do you have your anatomy mixed up and believe there's only one breast that can change size?

34. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    You're never too old for breastmilk, baby.

[​IMG]

35. BritishPhin

BritishPhin New Member

Dec 30, 2012
    Not so Great Britain
    Both were very good/lucky pickups who need to be on the roster next season.

Binns seems like a reliable receiver (Ryan Swope style while Tannehill was at A&M) who will always be there, he could become a really big part of this offense if we bring in a legitimate #1 receiver in the offseason.

Patterson has got a real opportunity here, no doubt we'll bring in a CB or 2 in the offseason, but if he shows that he can start and actually play to a decent level, we won't need to spend too high of a draft pick on one, especially if we keep Sean Smith.

36. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Ireland's ability at identifying talent has never really been questioned. He found some of the brightest talent that's on the Cowboy's roster and despite what we may think of the "Cowgirls" or that joke of an organization, they've fielded teams with remarkable ability.

As a GM though, Ireland's been under the microscope, first under the thumb of Parcells and now his first couple of years flying solo. Did the Dolphins have some miscues this past off season? Sure they did, but with a rookie head coach and a rookie starting quarterback on offense, with the lack of offensive playmakers, I'd say the Dolphins going 8-8 or even 7-9 really isn't that bad, seeing I predicted we'd only win 3-4 games all season.

Next year however, if Ireland is retained as GM, it's do or die for Ireland. Get TALENT on the roster to help the team not just win, but CONTEND. If it's a failure, expect Ireland to be shown the door before season's end.