1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lamar Miller @ Slot or WR?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by the 23rd, May 9, 2012.

1. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    "When the Miami Dolphins traded up to take Miami-Florida RB Lamar Miller in the fourth round, the pick made sense on first glance simply because Miller was considered a second-round value on many boards.
    The question remained, how would the Dolphins get Miller on the field with starting RB Reggie Bush coming off of his best season as a pro and 2011 second-round pick Daniel Thomas sharing the load?
    After a Friday rookie minicamp practice, head coach Joe Philbin gave a clue to the eventual answer to that question. Dave George of the Palm Beach Post reports that Philbin and GM Jeff Ireland noticed that Miller lined up split out wide as a receiver at times in college and Philbin has designs doing that with Miller in the pros..."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=miami-dolphins

2. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    They should look at him in both categories.

3. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    I wonder if he can play a kind of Percy Harvin role for us. 15 touches a game with carries, catches and returns.

4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    When Tannehill starts, with his unique skillset,we should have the most mobile pocket in the league, so players should be able to line up everywhere and be football players, good football players can run catch and block.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  5. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    If I'm not mistaken, the Jills used to use Thurman Thomas a lot that way with a lot of success.

6. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    That is exactly how I picture him being used. IMO the key will be how long it takes him to get up to speed on the playbook and learn to pass block. Until then he'll probably just be primarily a STs guy.

7. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Yes, they did. Btw, what's the Hebrew script say?

8. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    And, he will need more than playbook understanding to make it in the slot. He has to really know how to run routes. Esp. in the WCO. That could take some time. But, as Ireland also said the kid needs toughness (which goes with pass pro).

9. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding this point, DJ, and correct me if so, but are you saying the most mobility in the pocket? I don't see him with better mobility than Vick, RG III, Newton or Rogers. Or even Luck, imo. But perhaps there's a subtly diff. point you are making.

10. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    The review linked within that article (by Matt Waldman) was high, high praise for this kid. If he gets tough and learns to block, could be some weapons, indeed. If Gates progresses and Reggie keeps it going, we should have some serious speed in the offering on the field! Serious speed.

If we keep the RB from ND - we could have a phenomenal 1-2 punch (maybe a 1-2-3 punch like the Giants did in 2007). I like the RB spot. Keep these young guys!

Miamian and djphinfan like this.
  11. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I'm not sure if you've taken a look in the " howdy thread DF,but there's a point that I'm trying to get across that I feel very strongly about as well as excited..It's about the unique mobility that Tannehill has not only running to his right but equally dangerous running left, he has rare QB athleticism that allows him to keep his upper body in perfect position as his lower body is running left, and for a right handed Qb it's exceptional..If I could figure how how to copy and post a pic from my iPad I would show you what type of dexterity I'm talking about..but it's in that howdy thread, take a look at that then just watch that highlight reel the original poster put up in the thread, and there are three separate rollouts to the left where he's just freakin deadly accurate, I mean this is not the norm, but this dude is making it look easy, so literally, that's what I'm talking about in terms of a moving pocket..The dude has a strength rolling out in either direction, so having a moving pocket where the defense can not tee off at a stationary target, on top of his ability to scramble, would be ideal, and IMO should be completely take advantage of..

Something I wrote in that thread..

Can we really look at that picture for more than just a passing glance, I've been staring at it for a while breaking it down, the full body dexterity shown, the flexibility displayed, the head twisted around, with the upper body completely going against the lower body,in perfect position to throw, is beautiful... no,its a weapon is what it is.if you just look at that one highlight reel that our new member posted above, you will see him running to his left as much as his right, and you will also see that he's just as dangerous going left, and that is rare in this league, and for him to be able to make himself square, the shoulders, head, elbows, ball position, and release from that position, and he's absolutely getting velocity on the ball, and accuracy, damn man.You wanna talk about the definition of a moving pocket and completely wearing the *** out of pass rushers, this will be a weapon for Sherman, and from the looks of it, he understands this unique ability and will exploit the defense because of it..

This is where the unique skillset of this particular player gives me hope, just imagine, Tannehill rolls right on first down, Tannehill rolls left on 2 nd down, Tannehill drops, sells the play action, whips his head around like he does so well, and fires the strike down the seam to Egnew..The defense will never know where's he's gonna be, that hesitation is huge, as long as Sherman uses this kids unique talents on every series the pass rushers will not know where he's gonna be.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  12. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    Totally agree, I noticed that just watching a little of his tape. He seems very comfortable rolling out to his opposite side and throwing the ball.

13. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    can do a lot of different things with a many different looks in a west coast offense
    Lamar Miller will be a perfect fit in the new offense & an immediate impact player

14. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    That and my other questions are how well will he hold up in the NFL and can he put on some mass without losing too much speed?

15. DOLFANMIKE

DOLFANMIKE FOOTBALL COACH 32 YEARS Luxury Box

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    My first thought when we drafted him was given our deep stable of RB's, we might use more as a Receiver than RB.

16. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Look at it this way, Slaton/Bush/Miller, all similar backs who can do the same thing at Wr.

Idea being you match up Mr 4.4 vs a Lb or safety and I'd suspect it also messes with blitz packages when the Rb flexes out to Wr.