Kovalchuk signs a 17 year deal with NJ

12 replies

AbideN703AbideN703New MemberOP
Jul 19, 2010, 10:14 PM

Unlike the NBA’s LeBron James, the biggest prize on the NHL free agent market isn’t moving.

Ilya Kovalchuk(notes) is staying with the New Jersey Devils, agreeing to a staggering 17-year, $102 million deal with the team.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=Ah2hZ4b2UQrsqjlrOoPSnHI5nYcB?slug=ap-devils-kovalchuk

SICKSICKForum Veteran
Jul 19, 2010, 10:15 PM

6 million a year? "yawn"

hope he gets alot of guaranteed money.

adamprez2003adamprez2003Forum Veteran
Jul 19, 2010, 10:17 PM

17 year deal? how old is he?



2019 DRAFT WISH LIST
1) DT Dexter Lawrence - Clemson
2) DE Jaylon Ferguson - Lousiana Tech
3) OG Chris Lindstrom - Boston College
4) CB Amani Oruwariye - Penn State
5) DE Shareef Miller - Penn State
7) C Sean Krepcz - Nevada
7) RB Wes Hills - Slippery Rock

Reporter: "Why did you fire Coach Gase?"
Ross: "Because he wants to win now"

DesidesDesidesForum Veteran
Jul 19, 2010, 10:21 PM

I don't know NHL, but I'd imagine this is a salary cap circumvention.

@desides01

"Not you." — Tywin Lannister

adamprez2003adamprez2003Forum Veteran
Jul 19, 2010, 10:25 PM

"Desides wrote:

I don't know NHL, but I'd imagine this is a salary cap circumvention.

yeah at least for the next two years

Kovalchuk will earn $6 million each of the next two seasons, $11.5 million for the following five seasons, $10.5 million in the 2017-18 season, $8.5 million for the 2018-19 season



2019 DRAFT WISH LIST
1) DT Dexter Lawrence - Clemson
2) DE Jaylon Ferguson - Lousiana Tech
3) OG Chris Lindstrom - Boston College
4) CB Amani Oruwariye - Penn State
5) DE Shareef Miller - Penn State
7) C Sean Krepcz - Nevada
7) RB Wes Hills - Slippery Rock

Reporter: "Why did you fire Coach Gase?"
Ross: "Because he wants to win now"

Boik14Boik14Supporter
Jul 19, 2010, 10:27 PM

"adamprez2003 wrote:

17 year deal? how old is he?

27, he'd be 44 at the end of that deal. The devils could also frontload that deal to circumvent the cap.

"Desides wrote:

I don't know NHL, but I'd imagine this is a salary cap circumvention.

You sir, are probably correct. I doubt they expect him to play til age 44. :up:

adamprez2003adamprez2003Forum Veteran
Jul 19, 2010, 10:31 PM

"Boik14 wrote:

27, he'd be 44 at the end of that deal. The devils could also frontload that deal to circumvent the cap.

You sir, are probably correct. I doubt they expect him to play til age 44. :up:



2019 DRAFT WISH LIST
1) DT Dexter Lawrence - Clemson
2) DE Jaylon Ferguson - Lousiana Tech
3) OG Chris Lindstrom - Boston College
4) CB Amani Oruwariye - Penn State
5) DE Shareef Miller - Penn State
7) C Sean Krepcz - Nevada
7) RB Wes Hills - Slippery Rock

Reporter: "Why did you fire Coach Gase?"
Ross: "Because he wants to win now"

Ronnie BassRonnie BassLuxury Box
Jul 19, 2010, 10:46 PM

"Desides wrote:

I don't know NHL, but I'd imagine this is a salary cap circumvention.

Pretty much, the contract is front loaded bigtime the first ten years or so and then the Devils can buyout the rest of the contract - or he can retire - and the cap hit of just around $6m a year disappears.

It's a win win for the Devils and Kovy. But expect the next CBA to address this.

brandon27brandon27Supporter
Jul 20, 2010, 07:30 AM

"Desides wrote:

I don't know NHL, but I'd imagine this is a salary cap circumvention.

Yup, thats the way it goes in the new NHL.


1972 Miami Dolphins-The ONLY undefeated team in NFL history!!!

AbideN703AbideN703New Member
Jul 20, 2010, 08:55 AM

"adamprez2003 wrote:

44 and no helmet? This guy was bat**** insane

adamprez2003adamprez2003Forum Veteran
Jul 20, 2010, 04:16 PM

"SpurzN703 wrote:

44 and no helmet? This guy was bat**** insane

I think he only played till 42. but yeah all the old guys who were grandfathered from playing without a helmet kept playing without a helmet till they retired. Thats hockey for ya :lol:



2019 DRAFT WISH LIST
1) DT Dexter Lawrence - Clemson
2) DE Jaylon Ferguson - Lousiana Tech
3) OG Chris Lindstrom - Boston College
4) CB Amani Oruwariye - Penn State
5) DE Shareef Miller - Penn State
7) C Sean Krepcz - Nevada
7) RB Wes Hills - Slippery Rock

Reporter: "Why did you fire Coach Gase?"
Ross: "Because he wants to win now"

unifiedtheoryunifiedtheoryLuxury Box
Jul 21, 2010, 10:52 AM

Contract rejected. Off to arbitration.

I'm on Twitter @ut_pez

54Fins54FinsForum Veteran
Sep 29, 2010, 05:29 PM

"unifiedtheory wrote:

Contract rejected. Off to arbitration.

Just saw this...:lol:

Contract done and signed. :wink2: