1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kirwin: Reshaping of the roster continues

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Muck, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    It's an article about all facets of the team, so it's not about just one thing. However, this quote was interesting.
    http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/sto...0d5d809e99c4&template=with-video&confirm=true

Incidentally, Kirwan sees the Dolphins as 7-9 this year.

I'd take that all day long.

2. mullingan

mullingan New Grandbaby Pic!!!

Nov 27, 2007
    Gainesboro, TN
    Good article and nice read. 7-9 would be an extremely successfull season.

3. Agua

Agua Reality: Try It!

Apr 28, 2008
    Beat me to it Muck. Good read.

4. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Good read Muck, I like Pat Kirwans articles a lot. He posed some questions with his answers and here are some of mine.

1. Can this team go to the playoffs in 2008?

I don't think they can just yet. We still have some questions on this team. Can Jason Ferguson and Yeremiah Bell stay healthy and lead this team? Can the new and reshuffled offensive line do their job? How is Ronnie going to impact the running game after his surgery? I think those are some of the questions that need to be answered. I think that the Jets can win eight or nine games, the Patriots are always at the top and then the Bills may be a good team, pending on them stopping the run. They added Marcus Stroud this off-season. I don't think will make the playoffs this year.

2. Can Ricky Williams regain his form from years gone by?

He was very impressive in the pre-season opener, bouncing off tacklers and finding the holes. I thought that he displayed good vision as usual. With his recent comments about him being motivated, I think he can be similar to his old form. He says that this is the first time he has been motivated but I find that hard to believe because he did run for 1800+ yards at one time in his career. He'll play a key part in this team's running game while Ronnie Brown is eased back into the lineup and the rookies are getting settled in. Parmele hasn't experienced a real Sunday game yet. I think he could be getting around 10-15 touches and I think he can be productive.

3. Which QB will lead this team?

I think its Pennington barring injury. He's the most experienced, he's getting paid six million a year and he's familiar with some of the terminology that is presented by Henning's offense. If he was to go down, I expect Beck to come in unless the organization cuts him. I don't expect Henne out there this year.

4. Will the top draft picks really contribute right away?

Obviously Long will contribute as he is our starting LT. I think Langford wins the DE spot. As for Merling, I'm not sure what to expect. He could be a big part of our defensive success and he could have minimal impact. Donald Thomas will likely win the RG spot if he hasn't already. I didn't see much of him in the first pre-season opener but I believe there was a nice push by him on Ronnie's 6 yard run. I think Parmele could be a third down back for us while Ronnie is eased back into the lineup. Hilliard is likely headed to the PS imo. I think Foster is a wildcard here. He's not a top draft pick as the question asks but I think that he can contribute on ST's if he makes the 53 man roster. I don't think he will make it this year, possibly next though.

5. Are there enough pieces in place to convert to the 3-4 defense?

I'm really not sure. I think someone can explain this better than me. I think we could very well end up running the 43 though.

6. Can Sparano bring so many new faces from different places together in time?

I think so. He provides strong leadership and doesn't seem to take any crap from anyone. I think that he can have these guys ready and working well together.

7. Where will the most immediate improvement come on this team?

Pat Kirwan says that the ST's should be an immediate improvement. I think its stopping the run as well as the secondary. I expect Ferguson, Soliai and Starks to help stop the run and make it better than last year. In the secondary, I expect Jason Allen to shine in the simplistic defense and Bell is finally healthy. Another 'wildcard' is Andre Goodman. Coming off injury, I think he could be a good Corner for us again.

8. Are they going to be ready for Brett Favre and the Jets in Week 1?

We should be ready. Pennington has worked under Henning before I believe, he didn't play but studied. Pennington said in his press conference that he was looking through the playbook and some of the plays were obviously forgotten as it has been eight years. I don't think it should be too much trouble for him because he is an intelligent guy. I hope that we don't get any injuries in the pre-season . We already saw one with Charlie Anderson going down.

How close are the Dolphins?

I think we're going to be a 5 to 6 win team this year. I'll say 6-10.

5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I'd love to see Jayson Foster make the 53 man roster.

The article mentioned that we should expect 4-6 waiver wire pickups, that is a mini horde of players.

I bet that 30% of the roster does not sleep well during TC...:lol:

finsgirlie likes this.
  6. finsgirlie

finsgirlie break my Luxury Box

Dec 2, 2007
    Fantasy Land
    he did make himself known last night for sure....he was key in a LOT of the plays last night.

7. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    Interesting that Kirwan refers to Henne as a "rising star". I wonder how much of that opinion was formed based on his conversation with Parcells.

8. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeah and he muffed a punt.

9. finsgirlie

finsgirlie break my Luxury Box

Dec 2, 2007
    Fantasy Land

:lol: way to screw up my point-making alen....

10. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    :lol:

That's what I'm hear for. :D :up:

11. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    To that point, I'll quote the Kirwan's text.

And there you have it. They really are looking for that big boy on the outside. The front seven without Porter and Holliday didn't look bad against what is being anticipated as the best OL in Buccaneer history.

If either Roth or Holliday can make the move, I wouldn't be surprised in seeing them with their hands still down in the 3-4 at times. Especially Holliday.

I think they've got the horses to play 3-4 now. But to play it at a high level, I think we're probably a little too young up front.

alen1 likes this.
  12. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Nice post alen. You may be right, in that we do, out of necessity play alot of 4/3. I had some of the same thoughts. But then we have to keep in mind that last night the 1st team defense at times applied solid pressure to the TB OL.
    For instance the play where Ferguson got his sack. That was a team effort. Outside speed and inside power.
    Add Holliday and Porter to the mix - 2 vets. And we've probably got the players for success using a 3/4 base.

alen1 likes this.
  13. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    When was Welker on a Parcells coach/gm'd team roster?

14. Jagfish

Jagfish Season Ticket Holder

Nov 23, 2007
    This Planet you call Earth
    Welker wasn't with BP I don't think. Marty Schottenheimer had him w/ the Chargers and cut him and we picked him up?

15. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Never. Just SD, Miami and NE

alen1 likes this.
  16. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    He was in SD? Interesting, didn't know that. So him and Camarillo now.

17. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

They signed Welker as an UDFA and waived him on the final cutdown, hoping as I recall to put him on their PS. We claimed him off waivers at that time.

finsgirlie and alen1 like this.
  18. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeah they did apply some solid pressure but overall, I wasn't too impressed. Aside from the first play, I don't recall them causing problems. As you mention, Porter and Holliday were not taking part in the game. I expect them to have a big impact on our defense this year, if they fail to then we may have some trouble. It'll be interesting to see what scheme they end up using.

It says that if the two projects, Holliday and Roth, fail to pan out in their new position, we should expect Anderson on the outside. I was thinking that Anderson would be starting outside either way. Am I reading too much in to this?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008