1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kirwan: Mallett has what it takes

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Topdawg13, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Topdawg13

Topdawg13 New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Indiana
    -Link-

2. fin13

fin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 29, 2009
    Waterloo
    Hope he's there at 15 and Ireland has the balls to take him

3. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I expect that there are many people who will be upset come draft day. This reminds me of the Brady Quinn love-fest. Miami will pass and mallett will fall probably well into the 2nd.

4. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University

Brady Quinn had alot of physical issues, Mallett does not.

IMO Mallett goes BEFORE Miami picks at #15.

Fester likes this.
  5. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I’m not reminded of the Brady Quinn lovefest at all. Mallett has a better track record, and desire for him is far from universal.

6. fin13

fin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 29, 2009
    Waterloo
    I feel bad for Henne because I want to believe he might turn it around, but if Mallet is better today than Henne 3 years ago you have to take a chance.
    I think he'll be gone before the Fins pick.

7. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I had Mallett rated as a 2nd round pick before the character stuff. I had Quinn rated higher on the physical stuff. i don't see Mallett as a good enough athlete. People want to see Marino, but one of the great things about Dan was how quickly he reset his feet. That takes athleticism that Mallett lacks. That's why you see him struggle whenever there is unexpected pressure to a greater extent than more athletic QBs. And I disagree about the track record. Mallett's track record includes drug use and poor leadership. I also don't agree that there isn't as large of a percentage of the people (at least on this board) begging for Mallett as there were for Quinn.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  8. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    I remember when I thought it was only me and Nelson ManPadre 31 who were on the Mallet bandwagon.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

9. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Like this kind of stuff? (costing your team in a critical moment when you have a chance to win a bowl game?)

[video=youtube;Gylc-sBL48k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gylc-sBL48k[/video]

..... or this one that cost Arkansas a win over Alabama.

[video=youtube;TTStZU5H8Wg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTStZU5H8Wg[/video]

..... or on the 2nd INT in this clip when he's throwing on the run?

[video=youtube;PoZCiROlGEU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoZCiROlGEU[/video]

Didn't Gruden also mention something about him needing to improve his ability to throw when evading pressure? If you're saying this is due to his inherent lack of athleticism, then what realistic sort of chance does he have to improve upon this to where it's not a liability?

rafael likes this.
  10. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    That's basically my concern with Mallett. I see his upside as limited by lack of athleticism. (Not to mention the character issues which IMO put his bust potential through the roof).

ToddsPhins likes this.
  11. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    After the UD article and Boomer's and CK's trumpeting, Mallett seems to be the choice for all but a handful of the regular posters here.