1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kiper: Dolphins draft possibilities

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Zanno, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Zanno

Zanno Junior Member

Apr 8, 2008
  2. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    I would love to have this draft net us Rolando McClain in the 1st, Brandon LaFell in the 2nd and Perry Riley in the 3rd. McClain is the most complete backer in the draft - he makes plays, he can blitz and even better he can cover. LaFell is a nice big target who can make plays and Riley is another guy who can make things happen in the ILB spot. Riley is a little smallish though.

I'd sit back with a big fat cigar if we landed those 3!

3. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    If we went that route (with Dez hypothetically unavailable), I'd rather have:
    1. Brandon Graham
    2. Brian Price (especially if Merling is moved to SOLB!!), Terrance Cody, Gronkowski, or Gresham
    3. Boldin
    4. Pitta, Edds, Lamarr Houston, Decker, Arthur Jones, Troup, or Jacoby Ford

**all b/c we'll probably end up with a capable MLB in FA**

Anyone's thoughts on converting Ciron Black to G as a 4th round pick ala Carl Nicks?

I'd also like to know NFL scouts' impressions of McClain as a possible 3-4 OLB. (even though I don't think he lasts past KC or Denver).

padre31 likes this.
  4. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    if we draft Mucluster in the Second round i would be pissed i think that would be a horrible pick

5. Speedy

Speedy Dolfan forever! :-)

Jan 12, 2010
    Germany
    McClain, LaFell and Riley is nearly perfect, IMO! :up:

6. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

B Graham reminds me alot of Elvis Dumervil, a player scouts didn't like, but can just play.

There really aren't many capable FA MLB's this year, there are a number of RFA's who would fit the bill, but they like their picks too much to sign a cat like Ruud.

As for Guard, alot depends on if Berger is the backup Center, if they leave him there, then Garner is the swing T and G, meaning we only have a small slot for a 3rd backup G and they will have to be a jack of all trades, G/T/C and snapper to stick.

Where does that leave Dimitri Tsoumpas? A PS guy is his target and one thing to keep in mind about Kiper...he is a NCAA Prospect guy only, in his words "there are no draft do overs" so Outsider types from the CFL or UFL just aren't on his radar screen.

Not thrilled with B Price, to inconsistent.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  7. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    To each his own on Price. LOL. He's 20 years old. He's supposed to be inconsistent. :tongue2: For how much UCLA played him, I don't see a problem with it, especially considering he'd be in a rotation here and allowed to develop. To his benefit, he has improved significantly each year while making many big plays in the process. He's the ultimate teammate, a high character guy, and brings a TON of positive energy similarly to Ronnie Brown. With 1 more year of college experience next year, he's a top 15 pick so he'd be a steal in the 2nd round IMO.

His production through his Junior year also cant be denied:
    -82 Tkls
    -44.5 TFLs in 29 games
    -12.5 Sacks
    -5 Forced Fumbles
    -3 PBUs
    -1 INT

Odrick on the other hand through his Junior year had:
    -61 Tkls
    -14.5 TFLs
    -6.5 sacks
    -3 FF
    -1PBU
    (all total, Odrick has almost 20 less TFLs despite being a Senior)

8. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Whatyatalkin about TP?

Odrick is a top 15 NFL prospect..:shifty:

I'd hate to take a cat like Price, he is relatively green and still would have to learn how to play NT in the NFL.

I suspect they rebuild the Lb corps, we could see three picks at Lb.

9. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    :lol:

Has the notion of moving Merling to OLB been suspeneded? If it has, then I don't want Price. If it hasn't, then Price represents the needed playmaker at DE who, for his size, has a Ferguson like abilit to anchor given a little time IMO. He even likes taking on double teams so it allows his teammates to make plays.

10. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    From what I can find Price and Odrick's #'s 2007-2009 are almost identical (not counting TFL) year in, year out.

Price:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=235909

Odrick:
    http://espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=188691

I don't know that you can use the "despite being a senior" argument as a negative without looking at who they played behind, etc. In the 2 years each player saw significant time, they produced pretty much identically.

If you want to count TFL, fine (that's certainly more than fair as I consider them to be "impact plays" for the most part). In 2009 Price had 23.5 TFL for 96 yards lost. Odrick only had 11 TFL (about half of Price), yet accounted for 72 lost yards. So in 12.5 more tackles Price only managed to move an offense back 24 more yards.

As a team in 2009 UCLA had 100 more tackles than PSU, so I don't know how that would play into overall numbers either, as that is a lot of extra plays (not that it would account for even 5 more TFLs for Odrick, just pointing it out is all). I'm not sure Price and Odrick are the same type of players either (they surely didn't go against the same competition), so I don't know that the TFLs are even that surprising.

Both a very good prospects IMO, though also IMO one fits the 3-4 a lot better than the other (and likewise I think one fits a 4-3 a lot better than the other).

ToddsPhins likes this.
  11. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    This all makes sense, but you're still comparing a Junior Price to a Senior Odrick despite Price being more productive as a Junior than Odrick was as a Senior.... and double his production as a Junior.... and considering that Price has dramatically improved Soph to Junior year. It's not far fetched to predict him having an 8-10 sack Senior year with 55 tkls and 28TFL, and 3 FFs. Then compare them over an equal 4 years.

That could realistically put him at:
    150 Tkl, 70+ TFL, 20+ sacks, and 8 FFs.
    verses:
    61 Tkl, 14.5 TFL, 6.5 sacks, and 3 FF

I like Odrick, which is all the more reason I think Price is really something special in the making.

Stitches likes this.
  12. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Aside from sacks I think it would be difficult for Price to improve on his JR numbers (especially the TFL when you look at the historical #'s in the Pac-10 and at UCLA for DTs). I do realize I am comparing JR Price to SR Odrick, but I don't think starts should be discounted as IMO play time tremendously helps development. So if they had the same # of starts for example (I don't know for sure that they do) then I find it to be a fairer comparison than you probably (but that is just my opinion).

Even ignoring class, we aren't comparing apples to apples due to the competition they faced. For all we know Odrick at UCLA might've done better/worse/same as he did at PSU (and conversely the same applies to Price).

I (more than many people probably) do think stats are important in evaluations, but it shouldn't be the only thing considered. Like I said I think Price could be very good in a 4-3, and I think Odrick could be very good in a 3-4 (not necessarily at NT). We'll really have to wait a few years either way to find out though. Odds are neither will become a fin, though I would be happy to have Odrick.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  13. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Odrick doesn't end up on the ground like Price does. He uses his hands better to shed blocks, rarely gets driven backwards, and has a better frame.