1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

King on Dolphins #1 pick, other issues

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DrAstroZoom, Apr 7, 2008.

1. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Peter King's column, which I always hit first thing in the morning -- and I usually enjoy, whether I agree with it or not -- is particularly meaty this a.m. Here's the Dolphins-related nugget:

Also included:
    • why we apparently shouldn't panic about the NFL labor situation
    • you might be surprised how little support reseeding the playoffs received
    • Matt Leinart and girls in bikinis -- what's the big deal?

Check it out!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
    Larryfinfan, phinsfan1221 and ATVZ400 like this.
  2. ILPhinFan88

ILPhinFan88 Premium Member Luxury Box

Thanks Doc, it sounds like the way to go.

3. Celtkin

Celtkin <B>Webmaster</b> Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    46.73° N, 117.00° W
    Actually, that is not a bad way to survey your first round possible selections to see where their head is concerning cash.

4. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I posted in the other forum - very interesting labor discussion - especially the rules for 2010.

5. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    man, good read, thanks Doc!

6. Miamifan1354

Miamifan1354 Not Good Enough.

Jan 3, 2008
    It's a great idea. I don't think any of the guys up there are worth a 60M+ contract so if you offered that 42M to Both of the Longs, Dorsey, Ellis and Ryan, you would be getting a great player at a contract which you think is best.

I believe that Chris Long, Ellis and Ryan would all accept with Dorsey and Jake Longs agents saying they could get more at 2 or 3.

7. phins17

phins17 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Good find Doc Thanks

8. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Looks like both sides are in a corner for the first "uncapped" year. I don't get the fight to be honest.

The small market teams want to share more of the pie. I think it will happen because the "big" market teams can't form a 6 team league if franchises start folding. The "big" market owners will fight the "small" market owners will fight and the mid market teams will step in and mitigate a settlement.

The other issue, the ONLY issue is rookie cap. Get the rookie salaries under control now. Make it so teams can make FOOTBALL moves on draft day instead of money moves. A team should look stupid for blowing a top 5 pick, not be screwed financially for 3 years as well.

The Dolphins making it known to the whole World they want to deal out of the #1 pick should mean their phone is ringing off the damn hook. EVERY team would want that pick but because it costs so much money no one wants it, that is wrong and that tells me the system is broken.

phineas64 likes this.
  9. unifiedtheory

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    BTW....King is DEAD ON about Leinart. Why is it "disturbing" that an early 20ish, single, millionaire quarterback is in a hot tub with a few hotties in the OFF SEASON? I'd be more disturbed if the guy didn't spend some of his off time this way. People get WAY too caught up in the LEGAL personal lives of "celebrities".

phineas64 and jason8er like this.
  10. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Could you foresee a slotted draft cap like the NBA has? I'm not a big NBA fan, but I think it is a nice system. The first pick can only make so much, followed by two and three, so on, so on.

11. DrAstroZoom

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Not arguing your point that the system is broken, but the fact no one is beating down the Dolphins' door also has to do with there not being a consensus #1 pick who is head and shoulders above the rest.

12. unifiedtheory

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    That might be true Doc but, if the money wasn't as big a factor as it is I'm fully convinced we'd have candidates for the #1 pick. The Ravens would be looking around because Matt Ryan is a great fit for them. The Chiefs would love to leap frog up and guarantee them selves Jake Long. Every 3-4 team would love a shot at Chris Long or Gholston.

There are very good players at the top of this draft, we'd have takers if cash was not the #1 factor.

ATLFINFAN likes this.
  13. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    I loathe Peter King, mostly because he's the worst gasbag seen in football since John Madden. I don't want to hear about his daughters in college nor his Sopranos addiction nor what kind of coffee/tea he had that day. He's so bad with football-related stuff that he has to write about magazine covers and name drop that he talks to Brett Favre.

14. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    dang Emo... don't hold anything back brother..

15. DrAstroZoom

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    That's why I mostly skim through his back page, but when he stays on topic, his football writing is pretty decent.

16. unifiedtheory

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    I actually enjoy it when King discusses other items to be honest, there is more to life then football. That said, he can be annoying as hell with his "Pat love" his "Welker love" and his lack of knowledge draft wise.

17. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    It's not fair that King can get by for years writing garbage about garbage while guys who do it for a hobby are infinitely more knowledgeable, well spoken, on topic and generally correct about football and life in general toil on in obscurity. CK has taught more people more about the game of football in one post than King has in his entire career. It's not just limited to the gurus on our site either, there are thousands of bloggers and posters much more deserving of accolades and cash (presuming King does get paid). Therefore, I will rail against the crappy sports media (ESPN is such epic fail that it doesn't even need to be mentioned) until we get writers and analysts that talk intelligently and educate instead of say things like, "All those things messes with the mentality of your ball club."

I'm starting with King because he's the guy that was sent to Afghanistan on a USO tour and writes "OMG life changing experience totally awesome" about it. I hate Peter King.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  18. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    nice read, thanks.

Interesting idea on hwo to approach our #1 selection. I like it. take the guy who's most willing to co-operate. Id sure hate to see us get our guy, then have him hold out for ridiculous cash because he's the #1 pick.

19. dolphindiehard

dolphindiehard Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    Stoney Creek, ON
    Ronin, thats what I have said many times before. How does a league not have a system like the NBA rookie cap?? You would think the guys in the union who have years of experience and have made the pro-bowl etc. would have issues with the money they get after years of slugging it out and then a rookie gets 30 mil. guarantee?? something out of whack I would say. This is also like everyone said what stops any movement on draft day trade ups to the top 5 picks. Worse yet if the guy busts because he has proven nothing to earn the money then the teams cap suffers for years possibly. I really think that the vets will want this to change in the next labour agreement.

20. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

That's a great theory, but I somehow doubt any agent worth his salt will go for that arrangement. I do think, however, that they'll be negotiating with the top 2-4 players on their board to judge where they are with each guy and whether or not they think they can deal with a certain guy..that would absolutely affect which guy they take, based on this particular draft, beings that there isn't a clear cut, absolute, can't miss guy at the top...

21. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I agree with emo. King has a lot of connections, and could be a decent writer, but he is so arrogant it bothers me. When someone questions him, his response shows hes so full of himself. For example, one week he wrote about being green, global warming, etc. ect. The very next week it's all about flying on a private jet with a club owner (I forget which one) and an emailer calls him out. His response was that it wasn't his jet and it was going to fly anyway.

That said I do read his column because one, I'm bored at work, two, I like to see how wrong he is sometimes.

Regarding money paid to the #1 pick, I guaranteed if there was such a clear cut #1 everyone must have him, people would be knocking on our door, Al Davis being one. But a lot of godo that does us, since if there was a clear #1 we'd be crazy to pass him up.