1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keyshawn Johnson weighs in on Ted Ginn Jr.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    But the numbers do not necessarily say it all. It's the difference-making plays that he lacks. Granted, there were a few catches late in the year where he really made some nice grabs on 3rd and longs, but his consistency is key.

The problem is, he has the talent to be a game-changer, he really does. But until he becomes consistent, he will not help the team by dictating coverages, etc. Even if he does not put up the numbers, his consistency could help the WRs on the other side.

2. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I'm not disagreeing with much of this, and the numbers certainly do not say it all. However, Ginn has already accomplished more than plenty of WRs in this league and more than some who lasted longer than 3 years. My main dispute is that he has a place in this league (maybe just as a #3 or #4), and could certainly have a place on this team. I agree that consistency is needed, not only from an offensive standpoint but a confidence standpoint. However, I disagree with him not dictating coverages when he is "inconsistent" as he regularly drew over the top safety help even during his stretch of 5-6 terrible weeks. Unless I am misunderstanding what you mean by dictating coverages.

3. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    That's rubbish IMO. They all had drops, some maddening ones. Bess had fumbleitis in the middle of the year. Jets games, that's two. Indy game (don't get me started on the underthrown pass at the end) he caught what, 10 balls, 8 for first down on 3rd and 4th down, 6 on the last drive alone? Yes after his slump, we went away from him (completely which I think was a mistake, we should at least target one decent sized bomb a game IMO if possible). He didn't have great games but solid ones where he wasn't dropping any passes, he did his thing, caught 1-3 passes but usually each one was for crucial 1st downs.

Then the Houston game where he was great again. He would have been over 140 yards with a TD if polite doesn't do a leg whip that would not have changed anything if he didn't do it.We lose that game by 7. But for Lou Polite, maybe we're in the playoffs. WE punt after that.

That by my count is 4 good games. I want 13+ good games. But he hit his slump, and improved throughout the year. What can we do, cut our nose to spite our face?

4. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    No, you're right about the coverages. I was not fully aware of the over-the-top coverages during that span, although, that's pretty much status quo if his route requires it; especially since Henne's inception (considering the possibilities of going deep). But didn't Madison also allude to his inability to really get off the LOS, and how Ginn could be covered one-on-one w/o help, regardless of his speed? This puts more defenders on guys like Bess and Camarillo. Do those two really need to be the extra guys around them? Although, their short to intermediate route-running is excellent.

I totally agree that he does have a place on this team/in the league. I just hope he gets his head screwed on tightly. He needs it. We need it.

5. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    This was likely true as a rookie, which was Madison's experience with Ginn. But many people who have gone to games this year (including me) that have seen numerous instances of Ginn getting open deep (cleanly at that) and having the safety over the top (if not beating them too).

2k5 likes this.
  6. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I know this has been played ad nauseam, but look at Ginn's move on revis at the LOS.skip to the 35 second mark.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyPtJF-IgPc"]YouTube- Ted Ginn Jr Smokes Darrelle Revis For 53 Yard TD Catch[/ame]

If Ginn makes that move on someone trying to press him, he only needs to get loose like what, 5 times a game? 3 times? And they're toast. Its chess, move countermove.

It's not Marvin Harrison like (marvin had such beautiful routes) but with that speed you can be a tiny bit more sloppy in the routes. Do some major major squats/excercises to get some more explosion in his short steps.

djphinfan likes this.
  7. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    It looked like Revis was expecting help over the top on that play. Not taking credit away from Ginn, just being honest.

8. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    It's really unfortunate that we cannot see that on TV. Any reason he was not thrown to (that the folks who have gone to games have noticed)? O-line breakdowns? Maybe Ginn not really running right route (like we'd know)?

Just to add on Madison, I think he was still referring to the current Ginn even though his experience with him was in Ginn's rookie season.

Not that I have paid too much attention to the Ginn threads, but I would really like know someone's non-biased analysis on Ginn from year one til now. Honestly, I am more concerned with his route-running than anything else

9. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Check the "ask Tim Graham" thread

10. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    What makes you say that. It seems to me he was expecting inside help, not necessarily over the top. Why would he expect over the top help unless he was going to cover under? I'm not a guru so perhaps it can be explained. Keep in mind the "help" is in front of Revis so it's not like he expected someone to be there. he can see it plain for himself, he's facing that way when he gets burnt.

And don't CBs always want over the top help. Fact is he got burnt. And he burnt his over the top/inside/whatever help too.

11. PhiNomina

PhiNomina White-Collar Redneck

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Something interesting that John Gruden says in that highlight is that Revis said that "he had Ted Ginn all night tonight".

I think that lends some support to the idea that when Ginn is out there the defense at least pays attention. The Jets had obviously scouted and told Revis to follow him around the field.

This is the way we need to use Ginn this year - big plays. He is not and never will be a guy you want to pick up the tough yard or the have the sure hands. He is a big play guy and IF we keep him on the roster I don't see a reason we shouldn't try to use him in these situations this year. We didn't seem to work many plays like this into our gameplan.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    The reason I thought he was expecting help over the top was because he peeked back there when Ginn ran past him, seeing if the safety was there. I'm not sure, though. Like you said, I'm no guru either.

13. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    that play JD is the only thing iam hangin on to brother. it showed a tremendous amout of skill from beginning to end.

14. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    maybe if we allow ted to wear the orange jersey full time we'd be ok:lol:

15. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    What I wouldn't pay for the coaches tape to review every single route ran. Is he getting open but not the ball? Is he not getting open consistently etc.