1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keys For The Dolphins & What To Watch For

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by alen1, Oct 4, 2008.

1. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I don’t usually do these things because there are about three other members who normally do one but I’m bored so I thought I’d give it a shot.

Keys For The Dolphins

Pressure Phillip Rivers - Rivers has become an elite Quarterback in some peoples eyes but like others, has flaws. One of his flaws is when he’s pressured, he doesn’t set his feet and forces the ball which sometimes result in turnovers. Since 2006, Phillip Rivers has been sacked at least 3 times in eleven games. In 2006, his first full year as a starter, he was sacked 3 times in six games and his QB rating was an impressive 96.6. However, in the last two years, his QB rating has plummeted when he has been pressured. In 2007, his average QB rating was 70.4 and 58.8 in the lone game of the 2008 season. If the defense fails to pressure Rivers, he will pick apart a poor secondary that is already allowing 70% completion percentage and a QB rating of 114.

Stop The Run - LaDainian Tomlinson bounced back last week with a 120 yard performance against the Raiders defense. The Raiders run defense is average like ours. The Chargers offensive line is coming back from injuries and haven’t opened up the usual lanes for the RB’s but are poised to have big games according to an article posted by John (Thank you). The superstar Running Back is finally 100% healthy. Jason Ferguson will have to man the middle and control blockers while our ‘backers come up in run coverage. Don’t forget about Darren Sproles! Sproles is averaging 5.3 yards out of the backfield due to many having trouble seeing the little guy and his explosiveness.

Control The Clock - The Chargers are allowing 4.4 yards per carry and that happens to be Ronnie Brown’s and Ricky Williams combined yard per carry average. The Dolphins will need to have a successful running game that will kill the clock and keep the dynamic Chargers offense on the sideline. The Chargers offense is averaging 34.5 points per game and the only way we will be able to stay in this game is if the offense doesn’t have possession.

Special Teams - Returner Darren Sproles is averaging 32.3 yards per return and the Chargers Special Teams is the best in the league on KR’s. The Dolphins ST’s haven’t been as good, especially defending it. They have tackled poorly which is a big reason for large gains on Special Teams (giving up 34 yards per return). Sproles can make you pay as he showed this year with a 103 yard KR. The Dolphins Devone Bess will have to get the Dolphins good field position, something they haven’t had much of. The team is ranked 30th in yards per return with only 17.9.

Give The Ball To Brown - Ronnie Brown needs to have the ball at least 20 times a game, whether its receiving, rushing or even passing as it was displayed in last weeks thrashing of the New England Patriots. The Dolphins have a record below .500 when Brown touches the ball less than 20 times.

Secondary Assignments - The secondary has been very poor as mentioned before and this week may be one of their toughest matchups. The linebackers will have to find a way to contain all-pro Tight End Antonio Gates. Chris Chambers has 4 touchdowns on only eight receptions due to the ball being spread around. Chambers can make plays downfield as can the underrated Vincent Jackson. Jackson is a big bodied Receiver who will give Andre Goodman troubles. Goodman was beaten up by Boldin’s physicality in the Arizona game and this game may not be much different.

What To Watch For:

Wildcat Offense- I don’t expect to see much of this offense this week but if I was the Dolphins staff, I’d put it in the gameplan. The Chargers also run a 34 defense and Jamal Williams would be spread out wider due to the unbalanced line as the great article posted by anlgp mentions. The unbalanced line also provides the offense the advantage of knowing what the defense is planning on doing with the Safety.

Jake Long - Jake Long will have a tough assignment this week, facing Luis Castillo. Castillo is a 3 technique tackle that has a blend of speed and power. Long could have some fits with Castillo. Keep an eye on it.

Samson Satele - Once again, Samson faces a heavy Nose and this is a matchup to watch. As mentioned several times in the past, Satele struggles with heavier Tackles. He had fits in the Arizona game with Bryan Robinson whose average at best but did a good job teaming up with Smiley to take on Patriots Vince Wilfork. I expect the two to work on Jamal Williams.

Key Statistics

0 - The Dolphins haven’t allowed any points in the fourth quarter this season which is a very impressive statistic. It may be because we were down in the first couple games and had to make comebacks while the opponent killed clock in the fourth though.

7-0 - The Chargers’ record when Antonio Cromartie records an interception. Cromartie has struggled this year in coverage due to him always trying to make a play. He may blow an assignment times but he’ll also make you pay if you continue to go his way. Seven is also the number of interceptions dropped last year by the other half of the CB duo, Quentin Jammer. Jammer is due for a big play and if we aren’t careful this week, it could happen against us.

17 - The Chargers are 17th in the league in rush defense. They were very shaky earlier this season, giving up 5 yards a carry but have settled down. They are now giving up 4.4 yards per carry and get back Stephen Cooper who helped the Chargers defense last year allow 4.1 yard per carry. The Dolphins should still attack the Chargers rush defense until the run is stopped.

Prediction: 27-17 Chargers

Other NFL Games To Keep An Eye On

Tennessee Titans vs. Baltimore Ravens

Tough defensive struggle in this game. It could be a long day for rookie Quarterback Joe Flacco of the Ravens. Kerry Collins has done a good job so far but hasn’t been pressured much. The Ravens blitz heavily and Collins will get tested. Ravens DB’s coach is familiar with Collins, working with him in Oakland. The interior lines will be something to keep an eye on. Many talk about the star Defensive Tackles Albert Haynesworth and Haloti Ngata, and they should. But two guys that no one is talking about is Justin Bannan and Tony Brown. Bannan replaced the injured Kelly Gregg and has done a very good job while Brown has had a very good year as well. Those two are guys to watch as well as Ed Reed, Jared Gaither and Chris Johnson. I’ll take the Titans in a low scoring affair.

Indianapolis Colts vs. Houston Texans

The Colts miss Safety Bob Sanders a lot and it shows. In the games Sanders misses, the defense allows 40 more yards and create one less turnover. The Texans thrive on the running game with rookie RB Steve Slaton. Slaton has injected some explosiveness into the running game that the team thought they would get when they signed Ahman Green a couple off-seasons ago. Slaton is now the full-time back and is a perfect fit for the one cut and go scheme. Schaub has struggled this year and is on a short leash. He comes into this game winless against divisional opponents in the last two years. I expect the Colts run game to be corrected this week after the offensive line is healed and its September, where Manning wins games. Colts in this one.

Other teams I take are the Buccaneers over the Broncos, Buffalo over the inconsistent Arizona defense, San Francisco over New England and the Steelers over Jaguars.

mullingan likes this.
  2. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Miami 31
    Chargers 27

3. mullingan

mullingan New Grandbaby Pic!!!

Nov 27, 2007
    Gainesboro, TN
    nice write up Alen. Man what a win would do for this team. One key, I think, is our fans. If they can match the intensity I believe this team will start the game with, the team will feed off of that and maintain the intensity throughout the game. The main thing is to keep it close, keep the fans in it, and I believe in the 4th qtr we can pull out the win.

alen1 likes this.