1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kevin Nogle 1st Round Mock 2/1/14

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Not So Fast, Feb 1, 2014.

1. 407PhinFan

407PhinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Of course we will abandon the run. I think we all know exactly what our offense will look like under Lazor.

2. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    That's not necessarily true at all. He came from an offense that ran the ball 4th most in the league in nearly a 50-50 run-pass balance. If anything he could perhaps give our run game a boost.

3. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I think we had a lot of indications that they planned on using Clay on the field quite a bit. Especially during preseason. They didn't have a true fullback so they had plenty of chance to get both Clay and Gibson snaps.

They talked about their plans a few times I believe. It was never a conversation about just Dustin Keller. It was always a conversation about the combination of Dustin Keller and Charles Clay, two guys who can be used in each other's roles and variably around the formation. I think having those two on the field at the same time was going to be a staple of the offense and I believe together they would have combined for 1500 to 1600 snaps, with Keller having about 800 to 900 and Clay having about 600 to 800.

4. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    This almost brings a tear to my eye. Had high hopes for Keller. Not sure what to think after a major knee job.

5. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I think his career is threatened at this point and Miami would do better to move on.

Intrigued by the guy who replaced him up in NY...Jeff Cumberland. I've been high on him since he came out of Illinois. He runs a 4.45 at like 6'4" and 245 lbs. He wasn't productive at Illinois but that's because he got caught between positions, moving from wide receiver to tight end. The same thing happened to Jordan Cameron whose college career is basically nil on the stat sheet. But now Cameron is a star player at the position.

6. 407PhinFan

407PhinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Yes I know that. I was being facetious, there is no way to know what our play calling will be like. To guess based on coaches past is asinine.

7. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/11/15/chip-kelly-and-defensive-personnel-packages/

Last year 82% of the Eagles run plays went against Nickel defenses, and they ran "11" packages 75.5% of the time. They saw base packages 11% of the time. I don't remember the exact number, but I think most of the rest of that 24.5% of non-11 packages was two-tight ends. They didn't use a fullback, etc.

I don't think we have a lot of idea what Lazor's offense will look like.

It seems like there is too much work and thought put into the run game going by what he's done at Virginia for example for him to treat the run game as a perfunctory exercise between pass plays like Mike Sherman.

ToddPhin likes this.
  8. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    The PFF chart would suggest that about 25% of Tannehill's pass attempts came against base defenses...which would work out to a little less than 150.

One would imagine that the bulk of the 89 pass attempts in 0 to 2-WR and the the bulk of the 48 pass attempts in 2+ TE would be contained in that 150 pass attempts.

Though we have no way of checking it wouldn't be a stretch of the imagination to assume that Tannehill's passer rating against base defenses was much better than against nickel.

ToddPhin likes this.