1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

keeping the best five without disruption?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by the 23rd, Oct 3, 2014.

1. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    lt-Albert lg-Colledge center-Satele rg-Pouncey rt-James
    :couch:
    what do you think of moving Pouncey to guard & leaving Satele @ center?

roy_miami likes this.
  2. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    I think you keep Pouncey at center where he's best. I'd personally have the players at their best position instead of two spots where guys are just ok.

GARDENHEAD likes this.
  3. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Pouncey played guard at the university. Satele has been more than adequate at center & is among the best five to start. the problem, is at rg not center. seems as if it would be a consideration to me. minimal change on an offensive line already in sinc.

4. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Its an interesting idea. The argument against it is that Pouncey impact at center will help elevate the play at both guard positions.

5. Kud_II

Kud_II Realist Division

Oct 15, 2011
    Seneca, SC
    I agree the weakest point in the line is at RG. Satele has had a solid year so far.

6. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I can see both sides of the coin. Satele has been an adequate center but Pouncey has the potential to be a great center. I just wonder if Jim Langer and Dwight Stevenson would have been hall of fame players or ring of honor members if they had been moved to the guard position instead of their Center Positions? I don't know if I would rather have an adequate offensive line or a great offensive lineman?

7. dolfan40

dolfan40 Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2013
    Germany
    Why should we move a Pro Bowl center to guard that is absurd..

8. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    If it helps Pouncy stay healthy for now.

9. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I think there might be some legitimacy to moving Pouncey to guard because it seems Satele has been pretty solid with the line calls and Pouncey hasn't played in this offense yet.

CWBIII and the 23rd like this.
  10. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    While I get the idea... we aren't going to bring back Pouncey from injury while simultaneously make him switch positions...

Bring him back where hes comfortable... and where he has proven he can be dominant and impactful.

aceman131963 and JMHPhin like this.
  11. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    He's impactful because of his talent. That talent can be utilized at guard. The problem with him at center is line calls, where Satele has been impactful. He hasn't played in this offense yet, so i don't think switching positions matters as much.

Granted I could be wrong, I just worry that our line is playing pretty good right now and this could be a massive change.....

CWBIII, roy_miami and Eop05 like this.
  12. Jagfish

Jagfish Season Ticket Holder

Nov 23, 2007
    This Planet you call Earth
    Dallas Thomas is a liability at RG. I think it works only if Pouncey buys in to the switch. He is a great center he'd be a great guard IMHO.

roy_miami and Eop05 like this.
  13. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Mike Pouncey isn't going to be any lesser a player at either of the Guard positions. He's not undersized/under-powered, or athletically mismatched. We're not talking about a 6'2" 290 pound guy who gets by on pluck and technical skill. I'd be just fine with McCoy, Suh, or Atkins coming hard over Pouncey's outside shoulder.

I think you should be seriously considering benching Daryn Colledge(who has been bad) and put Pouncey at LG and let Satele continue at Center over the BYE.

14. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    LT..C..RT

Hmmmm, it's not an easy question to answer if your trying to figure out what combination gives you more talent on the line Long term, but we're trying to win a division here...I want really good players at those positions, especially when it comes to facing interior pressure, we can't forget how teams have beat us..

If Satele is playing well then let him compete at guard with Thomas, Colledge, Smith and Turner.

15. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Do we really think the difference that satele has over Pouncey at center is worth a position switch for a 25 year old pro bowl center?

We know that Pouncey will be an upgrade over Satele, we know that Pouncey would be an upgrade over either guard, IDFK.

How bout we just chalk it up to having good depth behind Pouncey.

16. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    He's an upgrade at skill, but is he an upgrade calling the line?

MrClean likes this.
  17. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Could be part of the OL run blocking success is Satele making the line calls. Satele's shotgun snaps are automatic.
    Pouncey has improved a lot in his shotgun snaps, but he had several bad ones early in his career.
    Pouncey is a pro bowl center, that is true. He'd be a pro bowl guard too, and has said as much.
    IMO, the interior three should be made up of the 3 best pass blockers, and aligned where there is the most net gain.
    If they asked me, I'd say leave Colledge and Satele where they are and plug in Pouncey at RG.

18. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    IDK fin, I don't think any of us can make that determination without being in the inside..we know he's not that smart but I don't know what that means in terms of his football intellect or capacity..

Fin D likes this.
  19. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Satele could turn into a pumpkin. You never know.....

20. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I don't think you switch your pro-bowl center and risk pissing him off after he's worked hard to come back so quickly. you put him at center and let Satele either compete at a guard position or provide top level depth at the 3 interior positions.

21. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Satele has a very narrow range of stuff he does well, but he can do very well when he's put in a position to do those things. He's quite good when asked to move in the run game, and with certain types of pass protection. He sucks when he gets away from doing those things. That's why we've seen him switch teams so many times despite playing well at times and being promising. You put that at jeopardy in Guard, in my opinion.

I don't think you lose anything with Pouncey at Guard. I think there's a quite good chance if you gave him the off-season to switch, he could be a high quality player at Tackle ala Damien Woody.

CWBIII likes this.
  22. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    He played G at Florida next to his twin brother who played at center.He was a great All American pulling guard with very good mobility.

23. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Isn't Pouncey in his final year? I don't think I'd pay him what he'll want, so I'd see if I can extract value in a trade rather than get nothing for him at the end of the year. I don't think his return will be the difference.

That said, Philbin and Hickey need to win now, so they won't trade anyone who could help today, imo.

24. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    The Dolphins picked up the 5th year option on his contract, so they've got him through the 2015 season. They could choose to cut or trade him after this year with minimum cap ramifications I believe.

Bpk likes this.
  25. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

That's a double-edged sword though. Once he is back this year you're going to use him (obviously) so you have an idea of how the line works with him, but again, no idea what will happen if you shake it up by removing him again. Not interested in rocking the boat once he has re-intergrated with the line.

Now, if he retrurns and plays well, but the overall line play is poor, then maybe you consider moving him anyways.

Hell, I dunno. Money will dictate this at the end of the day -- unless he does something VERY dumb and PR considerations become relevant.

26. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    No, leave Pouncey at Center where he belongs. If you want to try something try Satele at Guard. That would make more sense.

27. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    The offensive line has performed well in many aspects, but I do not think its good enough to essentially keep as-is, despite the talent level.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  28. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Don't guards make more money than centers? Be smart business wise for Pouncey to move over ...

I'd do it in a heartbeat if there is no drop off in pounce's play but how do you do that in middle of the season?

29. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    exactly, people are forgetting how bad we got our *** kicked by Buffalo's defensive line.

30. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I see what you mean, but do you think Pouncey is gonna give up his career as a center for an average center.?

I just can't see it happening especially with his contract up..it's a tricky situation, that's why I said you have to be on the inside, I think there are more dynamics in play then just telling him he's gonna do it.

Im gonna go watch satele in some isolation and come back..if you think he's good enough to where your willing to switch he's got to be playing well..but that's not all,you think Colledge is playing like sh&$ so that's why you want to do it..

If we think long term, I think Turner is gonna be in the mix at guard..

Hmm..Albert..Pouncey..Satele..Turner..James...

Ughhh, idk Pate..my head hurts on this one..

31. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    With Pouncey your saying that?

32. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    The problem is like Pate said, he has a specific set of skills that seemingly are a fit for center, he's only 6'3 300, pretty small for a guard.

33. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I'm saying the OL currently isn't good enough to say "we are going to put an elite center at guard so we can keep Samson Satele on the field".

34. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    according to the coaching cadre, they will play the five best linesmen.
    no doubt who the five would be, only how to align them:

35. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    Albert-Coledge?-pouncey-turner-james

36. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    i don't think pouncey will have any issues making any line calls, he was on the sideline, in the film room ,he mentally took every snap satele took

Tin Indian likes this.
  37. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Problem with moving Satele to G is he hasn't played guard since early in college. I fear moving him to G would expose things he doesn't do well, and would indeed put the line at risk. It would take alot longer for him to grasp the position in this offense than it would for Pouncey who played G throughout college until his senior year. I think Pouncey could make a seemless transition to G without much of a hiccup whereas Satele moving there could prove to be a reliability. IMO the best approach for our coaching staff would be to play the 5 best linemen, LT Albert LG Colledge C Satele RG Pouncey RT James. Let Satele continue to make line calls. If Pouncey doesn't like it, we can always trade him. That said, knowing this coaching staff, I doubt they will move him. Most likely they'll bench Satele once Pouncey comes back and we'll continue to struggle at RG. Smith/Thomas isn't getting it done and Turner has been injured all year.

MrClean likes this.
  38. Deus ex dolphin

Deus ex dolphin Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2007
    I would be good with this OL, the best we can do this year. I think LG is such a weakness that even with Pouncey playing Pro Bowl level at Center it won't make up for how weak LG will be. I see no reason he would not do well at RG (having played it before) and would no doubt get better as the year goes on. This might even let us keep Tanny upright long enough to win a game against the Bills. That would be a nice change.

Worse case is Satele struggles at Center and we need to move Pouncey back.

39. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm not sure how there are no doubts Colledge belongs on the field. He's been Dallas Thomas bad.

40. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

He hasn't been good...but who's better there, Turner if not hurt? Anybody else?