1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keep things in perspective: What if you were a fan of one of these teams?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by hugoguzman, Sep 7, 2008.

1. hugoguzman

hugoguzman New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    So you just suffered through yet another gut-wrenching loss to the arch-rival Jets. I know...it sucks.

But remember that the Dolphins are a young upstart team, and despite all of the mistakes and bad breaks, they only lost by 6 and had a legitimate shot at winning in the waning moments of the game.

Moreover, if you think the sky is falling for Miami, imagine if you were a fan of one of these teams:

Patriots - sure you won your Week 1 contest, but your Hall of Fame quarterback could be out for the season. Ouch x 10

Chargers - you're a Super Bowl contender but just let victory slip through your fingertips. Giving up a touchdown on the last play of the game to lose at home.

Colts - you're also a Super Bowl contender but just got whipped, at home, to the upstart Chicago Bears and your starting running back suffered an undisclosed head injury.

Jaguars - you're also a Super Bowl contender but lost against a key divisional rival.

Titans - you just got a big win against a divisional rival, but your starting QB was knocked out of the game with a knee injury.

Seahawks - you're supposed to be a playoff contender and the best team in your division, but you kicked off the season by getting destroyed 34-10 by an upstart Bills squad.

Bengals - you're a perennial "contender" that supposedly has a lot of offensive talent but your offense sputtered to a 17-10 loss.

Browns - you're supposed to be taking the next step this season but you just got waxed by the Dallas Cowboys at home.

Buccaneers - you're a playoff team that's supposed to take the next step, but you suffered a heartbreaking loss to the Saints.

So rest assured, that while Miami's loss was tough to swallow, there are a quite a few teams that are reeling even more than the Dolphins are.

DaFish, late again, HULKFish and 3 others like this.
  2. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Hell...

Im one hell of a happy phins fan right now...

We're young...
    We're tough...
    We're getting better...
    We got the right coach....

Yeh we lost to the Jets today.....well...we had what...47 new guys on our roster in May...

The Jets went out and spent big money on FA to put them over the top...make them a contender?

Who's got the higher ceiling I ask you?

It feels good to be a Phins fan today. Damn good. :)

DaFish, RevRick, Loyal Fin and 2 others like this.
  3. Styla

Styla #1 Davone Bess Fan!!!

Apr 1, 2008
    Chillaxin' in So.Cal
    As upset as I am, I hear ya. We can eliminate the mistakes of penalties and mistakes on Defense.Watching video will also help our offense. Watching vids cannot heal knee injuries.

But, our players are "knock on wood" healthy and we can only get better from here on out.

Here's looking to next week.:up:

Dolfan4Life likes this.
  4. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    While I understand the idea of keeping a positve view since we are rebuilding and there are signs that were headed in the right direction, this post goes a wee bit too far.

The Pats are the only team on this list that has it worse than us.
    Losing Tom Brady is a huge loss for them..... HUGE.

Otherwise, do you really think any of these other teams who are all without a doubt closer to building a winning team or clearly ARE talented winning teams are devastated after losing 1 game?

I don't think any of those teams besides the Pats are anywhere near "reeling".

The fact that the Colts lost a game should make me happy that we don't have that entire team in Dolphins jerseys every week.

Not buying this view but I do respect the overall "keep our heads up" angle.

5. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I just really had hopes in the final minute that we would get a great throw by Pennington to beat his old team. Favre would have looked like he was 50 years old. It would have made the fans extremely happy at Dolphin's stadium and everyone watching on tv.....but yes, it is just the first game.

If Pennington can play like he did in the 4th for all four quarters we are going to look nice. We are a young team and we made a lot of mistakes and bad penalties, along with a few terrible calls by the refs. I still think we look much better than we did last year. My only real dissapointment was we didn't have much of a running game.

6. hugoguzman

hugoguzman New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    Guess you don't remember 2006, when the Dolphins were the fashionable Super Bowl pick (ESPN.com, SI, etc...) and lost their first game to the Steelers. The next thing you knew, that team was 6-10.

If you don't think that those "contender" teams are reeling (especially teams like the Colts, Browns, and Seahawks that got whipped) I don't know what to tell you.

late again likes this.
  7. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    No, I don't think they are reeling at all.

It's ONE game.

The bigger problem with the post is that you try to insinuate that were better off with the team we have now rather than having any one of these more talented teams. It just dosen't add up man sorry.

In addition, the 2006 Phin team was far from being a contender

Like I said, I appreciate the "keep your head up" angle though.

8. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I think it's painfully obvious that certain parts of the team lack talent. I'm looking specifically at the WRs, everyone after Will Allen in the CB core, and to some degree our pass rush although that was fine.

We almost have to go WR, CB, ROLB next year in some form or the other.

9. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I think the stage was too big for our young team today, our team needed to get confidence and rythm early and we did just the opposite.

Brett Farve was too good for us, many times he should of been sacked, especially on the ridiculous touchdown.

Does Chads arm strength inhibit the offense, is it a real issue? well, if you wanna be a real running team it is

10. hugoguzman

hugoguzman New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    "It's ONE game"...that's exactly my point. We're not the only team that took a tough loss in Week 1, and there are plenty of teams whose Week 1 loses were harder to stomach because they are supposed to be major contenders but took ugly losses or suffered major injuries.

"The bigger problem..." I didn't insinuate that at all. You just interpreted it that way. I can't help you there. Obviously, those teams are more talented. That's why emphasized that the Dolphins are a young upstart team. They were supposed to lose, but fought hard and overcame mistakes and bad breaks, almost pulling it out in the end.

"...the 2006 Phins team was far from being a contender" talk about a case of hindsight being 20/20. It's easy to say that now, but we went into that season as a Super Bowl contender looking to improve on a 9-7 record.

"I appreciate the "keep your head up" angle" Thanks. Actually, nobody has to keep their head up if they don't want to, because after all, the Dolphins lost (and nobody likes that if they're a fan). The point of my thread is to remember that the sky is falling. Half the league is 0-1 at this point.

Loyal Fin likes this.
  11. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    The 2006 Phins were supposed to rock the Earth.

12. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

It's a nice thought, but I don't feel any better...those teams don't mean anything to me, so their losses don't mean much either...however, don't think bad of me, but I kind of smiled when Brady got hurt..not for him personally, but for BB and the crew...the only thing that would have felt better would have been Brat Favre getting knocked out of the game...but seriously, I don't wish bad things on any players, even Brady and Favre, but could it have happened (if it was going to happen anyway) to better situations....??