1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keep the Redhead!!!!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by The_Dark_Knight, Jul 12, 2017.

1. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    For those who may or may not know, Walt Disney World is drastically altering one of its most beloved and famous rides, "Pirates of the Caribbean". This hasn't been the first time such changes have occurred on this ride, most of which have infused "Captain Jack Sparrow" into the theme of the ride with the success of the Disney movie franchise however this planned change doesn't infuse more of the movie into the ride, it's deleting a scene for no other reason than political correctness...the "Bride Auction"

[​IMG]

The propose change is so incredibly SILLY! and makes NO sense.

[​IMG]

I'm a traditionalist and there is no reason whatsoever for Disney to alter this portion of the ride. I wrote Disney and instead of a "reason" in its response, I was given prepared marketing response, completely dismissing my concerns.

One of the more ironic twists to this is in the gift shop after the ride, Disney sells tee shirts depicting the Bride Auction reading "We Wants the Redhead". Ironic, huh? You're going to sell these tee shirts to make money...on an attraction you're dismantling.

Please consider signing the online petition below. I don't ever mind changes in which there is a call for or a need for change, but change for the sake of change?

https://www.change.org/p/the-walt-d...m_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition

danmarino and SICK like this.
  2. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    :bump:

3. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    I signed the petition, but in this world now of PC galore, Disney will move forward with removing this scene. It gets me up in arms, not because I believe in this "women should be sold" action....but because its an original scene, depicting how things went back then. We cant alter history because it makes us cringe today....its ridiculous.

My dad and I always ALWAYS ALWAYS word for word call out that scene when passing through it! "turn around now, show em your larboard side!"

I made an entire list of things Disney may take out or change from their parks if people really wanted to complain about them:

-Skelton hanging in the beginning of Haunted Mansion.....promotes suicide.....get rid of it
    -Splash mountain? Song of the south???? get rid of it
    -There are guillotines in Liberty square....get rid of those too. Too gruesome.
    -Isnt the "N" word in Tom Sawyer books? Change the entire island I guess...
    -Cinderella castle needs a make over that movie promotes bullying

I could go on and on but I dont want to give parents any more ideas to protest disney just so they can avoid having a conversation and actually parenting their children if they ask questions.

Its so ridiculous. One of the reasons we have been spending our vacation money and have annual passes to universal instead of the mouse.....give crap to comcast all you want but as far as theme parks go, they've been pumping money into their parks and providing amazing experiences for guests recently.

Oh and one last point, Disney did announce their discontinuing the red head merchandise so at least their consistent I guess smh

danmarino and The_Dark_Knight like this.
  4. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    My wife and I were able to get a version of the Redhead tee-shirt, but the tee-shirt we BOTH wanted to get, we can't find anymore (except on ebay but $70 for a tee?) and that's the "We Wants the Redhead".

Like you, we're so sick and tired of the political correctness that's run amuck in our country.

5. JDelenne

JDelenne Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    As a Disney cast member, It's a ride at a theme park, not a History museum. Get over it. lol. Are you guys upset over the announcement of the removal of The Great Movie Ride and Ellens Universe of Energy?

Fin D likes this.
  6. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I've never been to a Disney park. Are these animatronics or live actors? After reading an article about the whole thing, it all seems like a really dated thing for people to be interested in, regardless. Rides like this at parks in PA and OH that I visited in the 90s were really showing their age back then.

7. JDelenne

Mar 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    They are animatronics.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  8. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I agree.

Though I will admit I was upset about Mr. Toad's, because that ride was awesome.

Thank god on the Ellen ride though. It sucked before it was her and got slightly better after her (at least there was some humor) but those seats are soooooooo bad.

9. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    It's a ride with history. Changing it just to change it opens a can of worms that possibly can show up in the future for all rides since the park opened at a different time.

The Ellen ride sucks. They're replacing it with guardians which is cool to me. The idea of future world has been dead for years unfortunately. Epcot isn't what Walt invisioned mine as well pack it with fun rides then. Free up bars around the world showcase for me :ffic:

danmarino likes this.
  10. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    "As a Disney Cast Member"...Hmmm. If you are indeed a Disney Cast Member, then you should be dedicated preserving and maintaining the historical vision of Walt Disney with the creation of a magical world unlike any other in the world otherwise, you're not a Cast Member...you're an employee at a theme park. That's why you guys are called cast members and not employees. Walt Disney World is unlike any other attraction in the world and it's heartbreaking to me that his vision is being dismantled piece by piece by political correctness, unions and the pursuit of the almighty dollar.

As for Disney Studios, "you" can do whatever you want with that park (so long as the Indiana Jones Stunt Show remains) as THAT is a theme park and not a vision of Walt Disney.

As for EPCOT, I have issues with EPCOT as Disney's vision for EPCOT was never TRULY realized. It was supposed to be an actual community in which people lived however I enjoy EPCOT, particularly the World Showcase. I wish that instead of revamping Norway with a "Frozen" attraction, they would have revamped the countries that have no attractions. England, Morocco, Japan, Italy, Germany all have long histories that cold have been showcased with an attraction illustrating the culture and histories of those countries but instead, Walt Disney World chose to pursue the almighty dollar by eliminating an attraction highlighting the Norwegian culture and go with an attraction promoting a blockbuster animated movie.

With the totality of changes that has occurred at Walt Disney World and whose first memory of Disney was "meeting Mickey Mouse" in Frontierland at Disneyland in 1969, is it surprising that changes to the Magic Kingdom upset me?

11. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    I too was upset with the closure of Mr Toad's Wild Rides. That was ALWAYS a favorite of mine as a child but in case you didn't know Tony...

Winnie the Pooh IS Mr Toad's Wild Ride. Disney World re-purposed the entire track of Mr Toad's Wild Ride and replaced the scenery with Winnie the Pooh imagery. In fact, as soon as the car enters the room, if you look to the immediate left, you'll see a picture of Mr Toad hanging on the wall.

Not olny was I upset with the closing of Mr Toad's Wild Ride, I was upset with the closing of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and the Skyway Cable Cars. Always LOVED those!

12. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Its not the same, I've ridden it a couple of times (annual pass holder). Yeah, 20,000 leagues was a shame. The cable cars were ALWAYS breaking down though.

13. JDelenne

Mar 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    To be honest I think the only attraction that is untouchable is the Carousel of Progress. Even then I imagine at some point it's spot will be replaced as well.

As for Epcot, I agree it's not anywhere close to being what Walt envisioned, which is a shame.
    I don't mind too much about the Maelstrom ride being re-themed. As far as adding new attractions to the countries the UK, and Japan pavilions simply don't have the room backstage.
    I'm kind of disappointed that they are adding the Ratatouille ride to France rather than using the space for a new country.
    As you might know Japan was originally planned for an attraction but they used the back half of the pavilion as an Engineering building for the park.
    Rumors are there will be a Brazil pavilion added in between Germany and the African Outpost.
    Another thing to keep in mind is that Many of the countries are not "owned" by Disney. They are all run and operated by 3rd party companies. I'm sure that plays into a big factor of what additions are or not added to each pavilion.

As for the Indiana Jones Stunt show, 2 years ago there were strong rumors that it was leaving to make space for Star Wars land (which i'm super excited for). But apparently it is sticking around for now. I would love to see the Indiana Jones Ride from Disney Tokyo Sea added, either in it's place or near by. One of my favorite rides over there.

20,000 League was my favorite ride growing up. It's a shame that it's gone from here. Still at Tokyo Disney though.

As for the cable cars they just announced the Skyway between Epcot, Caribbean beach, Pop Century, Art of Animation, and Hollywood Studios

danmarino, Fin D and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  14. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I could care less about the redhead. the ride won't lose anything with the changes. kids seeing the ride won't care. I've been down to Disney at least 20 times. Own a timeshare there and it's my favorite spot to take my kids 1-2 times a year. I would be devastated if they removed the carousel of progress. I love that ride and make my family sit through it every year.

The redhead isn't part of Walt's vision. carousel of progress is.

15. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    I too love the Carousel of Progress and you're right about it being Disney's vision as the CoP was first unveiled at the 1964 World's Fair in St Louis. I was a little upset though when I went on it for the first time in ages a few years ago and the song, "Now is the Best Time of our Lives" was changed to "A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow". I thought the change was stupid but me being the continuous seeker of knowledge actually learned that "A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" was the original song for the CoP. It wasn't until the ride was to be opened at Disney World that "Now is the Time" was commissioned for the CoP. So with that being the case, I have to cut Disney a little slack for the change. lol

I only wish the CoP would be expanded. I know there are only so many theater settings on the carousel but it would be nice if instead of going from the 40's straight to the 21st century if it would go up to say the 70's or 80's and then perhaps an exhibit hall upon exiting with today's modern technologies, much like Spaceship Earth's exhibit hall at EPCOT.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  16. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    agreed. I can't see them ever expanding it, but it would be cool.