1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KC Joyner; Looking at Phins WR's and CB's

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by caneaddict, Apr 23, 2009.

Tags:
  1. caneaddict

caneaddict Season Ticket Holder

Dec 4, 2007
    http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/...speaking-dolphins-dont-need-wideout-in-draft/

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/...nd-dolphins-may-be-leaving-secondary-exposed/

Fin-Omenal and BuckeyeKing like this.
  2. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Well once we draft Malcolm Jenkins and Jarius Byrd it will ALL be okay.

3. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Holy crap, someone from the media with respect for Ted Ginn and the other receivers!

I also agree about taking a corner over a receiver at 25. Darius Butler baby! Unless, Malcolm Jenkins somehow slips all the way down. Either of those two would be great by me. Vontae Davis as well. CB, LB, WR. Give e a player from one of those positions on the first day and I'll be very pleased.

4. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    I'm all for taking a CB in round 2, but not round 1. I don't really see a difference of talent between round 1 and round 2 CB prospects to justify taking a CB in round 1.

I'm still hoping we go after an OLB in round 1. If not, then Nicks is the only other guy I want at any position for #25.

5. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think people are in denial about us looking at WR at #25. I think the metric Joyner is ignoring is that our WRs were none factors in the redzone. We only got five TDs total from that position. Now we did okay in the redzone last year but I think our offense wants the big target down there. I don't think it was a coincidence that one of our first FA signings was a big WR last year. All we have is the hope that London can develop. And while I like London I don't think it's smart to put all your eggs in one basket. And this regime has shown a tendency to double up on positions they're seeking to upgrade.

So what have we been looking at? We've looked at more clear 1st round prospects at WR than at any other position. By my count we've looked at Heyward-Bey, Nicks, Harvin and Britt. There are a few mocks hoping they drop but the general consensus is that all of these guys will be gone by #29.

At CB the only consensus first rounder is Jenkins (whom we've never spoken to). After that you have Butler whom most have going in the first. That's it, so I expect that all those CB in the first people are likely to be disappointed.

At OLB, Matthews and Brown are the only consensus 1st round prospects we've spoken to. And I don't get the impression that we've had near as many contacts with them as we've had with the WRs. In fact, I haven't heard of any prospect we've had as many as four contacts with other than Harvin and Nicks.

Of course it's possible that we just rate another player higher than the potential WR targets a #25, but odds are that's where we're looking.

Edit: we did also speak with Maybin, but it's still clear that we've focused more attention on 1st round WRs than any other position.