1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kasey Kahne wins NASCAR Coca Cola 600

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by brandon27, May 25, 2008.

1. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    after the longest race of the year, over 4 hours... 600 miles, and the strangest final 3 laps, Kasey Kahne wins at Charlotte in the Coke 600. Couldnt believe the stuff going on in the final few laps, stewart leading and cutting a tire and brushing the wall, hamlin into the wall, guys running out of gas, the starter dropping the white flag... just a strange final few laps. Congrats to Kasey though! hopefully they have turned things around there

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news;_ylt=AnfnODYfoLzkzyPmVhvyQVBfbwM6?slug=ap-nascar-coca-cola600&prov=ap&type=lgns

2. phunwin

phunwin Happy kids are Dolfans. Luxury Box

That was a fun race to watch. Stewart cutting down a tire was unreal; that guy just cannot BUY a win at the Coke 600 or Daytona. Loved seeing my boy Jeff Gordon pull out a 4th place finish by gambling on fuel when he had, at best, a 15th place car.

NJFINSFAN1 likes this.
  3. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I think Jeff was at best in the 20's. They were miserable last night just like all year. But yes, what a great call to leave him out there and climb up to 4th. That will go a long ways in keeping him in the top 12.

4. phunwin

phunwin Happy kids are Dolfans. Luxury Box

I disagree. It seemed clear to me that they had set that car up intending to run well in the final stage of the race, and just hoping to keep their head above water for the first 300 laps or so. Remember that the Coke 600 is so long that the track changes a LOT during the race, and cars that look great at the start are often crap at the end, and vice versa. When Gordon was racing to get his lap back, he was keeping pace with the leaders, and had gotten as high as 7th near the end. Instead of holding that spot, they opted to take four tires and top off the tank, so he was gambling on a long green run at the end, and was racing to conserve fuel...at which he succeeded. By racing to conserve fuel, he wasn't racing aggressively, just trying to keep pace, hence his floating along in the teens and low 20s for most of the last run.

It wasn't a 4th place car, by any stretch, but it was better than junk, and they raced a letter-perfect race given what they had.

5. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Big Gordon fan, he had a top 15 car, and it was very ungordon like to play the gas game, but it paid off big time.

Loved seeing Stewart get a flat, can't stand that guy.