1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Karl Dorrell....................Really????????

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by 2socks, Feb 5, 2011.

1. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I know this is old news (about 2 or 3 weeks), but could anyone explain to me how or why we would move Dorell from receivers to QB coach?? The man has never coached this position in his career. Shouldn't the individual in this position be an expert??

Are they setting Henne up for failure???

Why not bring in someone who has proven experience, like Jim Zorn??

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...ns-firing-i-dont-think-it-was-a-good-decision

I am just totally blown away at this decision??

Please thoughts??

2. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    He was suppose to be a future candidate for the OC spot, Its a natural progression, I really see no problem with it.

Jim Zorn was just fired a few days ago.

3. Zippy

Zippy The Man in Black. Club Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Sugar Grove, OH
    On the bright side, Our QB's will run the best routes in the league!

Ronnie Bass and the 23rd like this.
  4. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I know about Zorn.....but what has Karl Dorell done that he would be considered for OC??

Bigger question is why put a receivers coach in a position to coach your weakest position......a position he never has coached???

Is this not a questionable move??

I have nothing against Karl, I just want to win sometime in the future and it seems the more that goes down the weaker we are getting......we should be getting stronger!!

5. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    To be fair, the Patriots move assistant coaches from one position to another and don’t blink an eye. Hell, Mike Nolan coached receivers once.

It’s a strange move, doubly so with Jeremy Bates available at the time, but it’s not worth slashing our wrists over.

6. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    OC- 1990-1991 at Northern Arizona
    OC- 1995-1998 at Colorado
    OC- 1999 at Washigton
    HC- UCLA 2003 to 2007

I really don't have a problem with it.

Bill O'Brien was the Pats WR coach before becoming the QB coach this year.

GISH, GMJohnson and late again like this.
  7. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    yea isn't our receiving core ranked #1

8. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Agree about the slashing part.....lol

It just seems if we were really trying to improve Chad Henne that we would go out and get the best possible coach we could for him.

We do all agree he is still our starter....correct???

We do all agree that we live and die by his play??

9. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Yes and a little reminder that Tom Brady is their QB not Chad Henne.........heck Tom Brady will be teaching him.....not him teaching Tom.......smirking quietly

10. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Who says Dorrell can't be that? Daboll is said to be really good with QB's, I'm sure he will be all over Henne also.

I'm willing to give them a chance.

11. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    And he just had his best year ever with a poor Wr's core. No defense and a poor running game.

12. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    As someone pointed out (I forgot who), it could be to help the QB's see things from a receivers' perspective.

13. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    So you feel comfortable possibly putting the next 2 - 3 years of this teams production on his shoulders

This is quite possibly the most important appointment that could occur.

DolfanJake likes this.
  14. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    and this has what to do with coaching a QB????

15. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    There is a start and logical explanation.....however, what about the continued progress of Chad Henne

This decision would be like hiring a guy to do a tune up on your car who changes tires for a living.

I wouldn't think we are searching for a QB coach just because they filled the position with Karl. I am not trying to suggest Karl is a bad guy or anything. I just don't believe he is the best option out there to continue to school Chad Henne.
    I also ask the question is f Karl was doing such a good job at receivers coach .....why change....something does not add up here. Now if we had the best receiving core in the league I would think differently. The fact is we are not even in the top 10.........so why the move to the most critical coaching position on the team right now???

16. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think it's a lot closer than that. QB's works with receivers more than any other position. A QB can see when a receiver did something wrong, and vice versa. And Dorrell, being a former WR can help Henne or whoever the QB will be with a few nuances.

17. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    In the view of the people who are paid millions of dollars, Karl Dorrell was the best option. We’ll see how it works out. Can’t be worse than supposed quarterbacks guru David Lee.

Tony Sparano doesn’t. Not when he’s talking about looking at tape of every 30+ yard passing play in the NFL this season, and saying that a lot of them came when the quarterback—most frequently, Michael Vick and Aaron Rodgers—used mobility to extend the play and find a receiver downfield. Well, Henne doesn’t find receivers downfield and he definitely isn’t very mobile. Dare we call him Drew Bledsoe 2.0.

No, Chad Henne isn’t the starting QB anymore. I think, at this point, Sparano would rather put Brandon Marshall under center than trot Chad Henne out one more time.

I honestly think we’re going to find a way to trade up and get Cam Newton.

SeanP and Hurricane like this.
  18. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I added some stuff to my last post...sorry.

I understand what your saying. But my concern is in reading film, dissecting defenses, mechanics, when to check down and when not to, etc. These are things that are learned over years and comes with experience in a QB setting. Obviously the dolphins coaching staff must feel he know all these things...........................

I feel sorry for Henne if he doesn't..............his career in Miami is on the line

19. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    So your saying the QB coach isn't important???? ;)

20. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    No actually the opposite. I am concerned at the appointment. So far we have retained a coach who has a record of 2 games above .500, hired a offensive coordinator who's offense was ranked 29th in the league, filled a QB coaching spot with a guy who has zero experience as a QB coach, and fired (retired) one of the top 5 OC's in the game.......other wise I am optimistic and can't wait for the season to start..........you???

21. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Here is my take, maybe this will clear my view up.

Last year we had a dinosaur OC that would not change his offense to adapt to the players he had in his system, we had a QB coach that seemed to be on a different page from the OC and we had a head coach that seemed to be afraid to tell Henning (Parcells boy) what he wanted (Or henning did what he wanted anyway).

This year, we have a new OC that is said to be good with QB's coming in (we have heard from McCoy, Pennington and Kosar regarding the guy), we have a QB coach that is young and hungry and has been a OC and a HC before, and they were all hired by Sparano and Ireland, not Parcells, so Sparano will be in control.

Now Sparano in control maybe a cause for worry, but I'm going on the belief that we have a young hungry staff that wants to prove something.

As Des has stated, coaches get moved all over the place, that's what makes them well rounded coaches.

I find myself a bit excited about the staff, I can't wait to see what they do.

Killerphins and late again like this.
  22. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Which would be a fine move. Newton still will not be thrown to the wolves. He needs at least 1-2 years to learn the game and adjust to the speed. Please don't tell me Sparano would throw Newton in there day 1........please...........Henne, is our QB for now........unless Sparano is willing to risk everything and play either Pennington or Thigpen........either way I don't see that as working itelf out the way it would need to.

23. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I get ya and I respect your opinion. I just firmly believe in the old saying .....jack of all trades.....master of none. In this game shuffled coaches produce mediocre results. Happens every day....just look around the league.

As far as Henning being a dinosaur, I have to disagree. He was getting up there in years, yes, but the game never passed him by. He retired because at the age of 65, or whatever he was, who would want to pick up and go to another team in another city. Heck old people love the warm weather anyway:shifty:

I think it is a tragedy the way Henning was run out of town. So has anyone put two and two together and thought ....hey wait a minute can't be the guy in the middle(Henne), has to be the coaches. Shoot Sparano's own actions tell us who he personally thinks the problem is and it isn't the coaches.

So out goes Henning and Lee. In my opinion we are a weaker football team. Lets just hope Henne proves me wrong!!!!

24. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Want to bet? I think Newton needs a year on the bench, but the trend over the last 3-4 years is for rookies, even rookie QBs, to start right away and do well.

Matt Ryan: started immediately, made the playoffs.
    Joe Flacco: started immediately, made the AFC Championship Game.
    Mark Sanchez: started immediately, made the AFC Championship Game.
    Sam Bradford: started immediately, named Offensive Rookie of the Year.

Then there are non-QBs who start immediately and do well for themselves. On our team alone, there’s Jake Long, Kendall Langford, Koa Misi, and Sean Smith. All started in their rookie years. All have nailed down their positions.

Yeah, if we draft Cam Newton, he’s the week 1 starter.

late again likes this.
  25. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    He needs about 2 years on the bench. And even then I don't think he will be all that ready.

26. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I wouldn’t particularly mind if Newton started right away. Ben Roethlisberger did.

27. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    because good QB's coaches dont make lateral moves...Dorrell is qualified to coach QB'S..

late again likes this.
  28. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    why?

29. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    How?

30. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    Do the Pats really need a QB coach???

31. GreysonWinfield

GreysonWinfield Release The Hounds

Nov 1, 2009
    Whats the difference? The newest trend is we really don't need a strong QB.

32. R&R_Express

R&R_Express New Member

Nov 5, 2009
    did you just put vick in the same category as brady brees and p. manning

33. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    This may be an effort to improve comunications between Henne and Marshall and the other receivers .It was obvious they were not on the same page for most of the year.

Dorell knows what makes them tick .

34. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Mike Shula was available and said he would have been interested, but the Dolphins never even contacted him. If the coach's contract is up or a team makes a regime change it is entirely possible for a good QB coach to make a lateral move. Shula since has been hired elsewhere. Zorn is now available. Flacco isn't happy his QB coach isn't coming back. Anyone who thinks Shula or Zorn would not have been better choices is living in a fool's paradise. That would also mean Dorrell would have stayed at WR coach rather than Steve Bush who has never been a WR coach.

35. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    Have to be honest, do not like Karl Dorrell in any coaching capacity. He took a UCLA Bruins team and shoved them into the gutter. His best bowl game he could bring them to while being HC there was the Las Vegas Bowl and the Emerald Bowl.

He last two seasons there were disasters finishing with 6 wins and yes, he had all his own recruits running the show by then. I have no faith in this guy. As far as him ruining Henne ? No, Henne is a big boy, he does not need anyone to ruin him, he has done a good job of ruining himself.

All I have to say is this. One day this team will get a very good QB and Chad Henne will be gone. Then and only then will people realize how really bad Chad Henne was. Until that day though we all are going to be called Bashers and such. Personally, I do not care because I know the Chad Henne we saw in 2010 is the best Chad Henne thats going to be seen. Like I said, when the day comes we get a good QB, eyes will be opened wide.

36. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    Then I guess you believe Sparano is drafting Cam for the next coach, because if Newton starts for us next year, Sparano will be certain to be fired by week 7 or 8. Newton is a total project QB. We need a veteran presence in the huddle next year. If Henne can turn it around it will be him, but if they draft Newton then we will know for sure, that Sparano & Ireland don't really believe in Henne. What will that do to HIS psyche & more importantly his play on the field ? This is a mess and Sparano & Ireland have created it themselves, by not canning Henning before the 2010 season. They made their bed, and now have to lie in it.

37. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    What about what makes the QB tick.........seems to be being over looked here??

38. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I think is was pretty evident week 8 when Henne was benched where Sparano sits on Henne. The only reason Henne even got another snap was because Pennington got hurt and Thigpen is a disaster

Something isn't adding up here. It just does not make sense. Why would you move your receivers coach to QB coach and bring in a receivers coach with no receivers coaching experience. Now we have 2 coaches who have never coached that position before.

Maybe we are living in a backwards world and this is Sparano's way of setting things right

39. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    I feel exactly as you do. Add in the hiring of whats his face as our offensive Co Ordinator and the whole thing has CRASH and BURN written all over it. But I forget, the guy coached in New England so he must be good, Right ?:no:

40. Garryowen

Garryowen New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    People don't stay in the same jobs their entire careers....At least
    I haven't, don't know about you. Dorrell could well be great at the
    job. Who knows? You don't. I don't either. People progress, and
    often you aren't ready for the job you're handed.

Of all the things that have happened this OS so far, this is the one
    I'm probably least concerned with.