1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just-to-Talk VI

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Jt0323, Apr 17, 2013.

1. danmarino

danmarino Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Sep 4, 2014

I think the possibility of anyone in a school having a gun would cause some of these people to try and pick a softer target. I don't think the purpose of arming teachers is to claim that they would be some sort of Terminator and kill any threat.

A good portion of the population isn't a trained police officer. However, a trained, armed police officer KNOWS what they signed up for. If they can't perform the job, and I know that he knew he couldn't, he should have resigned a long time ago. As a combat vet I've seen countless men face far worse than this guy and never backed down. Every single one of use was scared ****less, but we never backed down. This POS should be held accountable.

Puka-head likes this.
  2. Puka-head

Puka-head My2nd Fav team:___vs Jets

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    This is why I say hire our vets. Especially our "disabled". If they can become mobile and are physically capable of advancing to contact and engaging they have proven they have the right stuff. And a good job with benefits and some pride from being able to continue to serve is the least we could do for them.

danmarino likes this.
  3. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic 30 years and counting Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    agree with your sentiment. If someone could explain this to the politicians - that the gap between a teacher and a trained vet is on a logarithmic scale.

Puka-head and danmarino like this.
  4. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    I agree.

As to if a teacher had a gun. I think if a teacher was cowering in a corner with her/his students, but had a gun, they would at least attempt to fire at the guy coming towards them with a gun rather than just sit there and get shot. They all may get shot, but at least they'd have a fighting chance...unlike now.

5. Fin D

Fin D Sigh Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    we can't even make sure teachers have paper, how the hell are going to make sure they guns, ammo and training.....

6. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    exactly. You'd have to staff, train and equip every single school in US, even if you thought it was a good idea. There are approximately 35-40,000 high schools in this country. multiple that number by at least 3-4 for middle and elementary schools. Most of the schools can't even hold onto their current teaching staff, let alone boost their budget for this. But, hey at least the current administration slashed the federal school safety budget this year by 25 million

7. Puka-head

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    Just under 100k public schools. 98,800 and some. That 25 million would pay for two vets assigned to every school full time plus admin costs. Make it fifty to get some good locks, security cameras, remote control of interior doors and perimeter control. 50 million to secure our kids, make it 500 million and its still a bargain. Less than 10% of our "Defense" spending.

KeyFin and danmarino like this.
  8. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    you mean less than 0.1% of our military budget. but yes, I agree with your point.

KeyFin and Puka-head like this.
  9. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    Yeah, it seems that cutting the school safety budget, (the former administration had a $184 million cut in 2009 making that $25 mil seem like a drop in the bucket) is fair game for both parties.

10. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    There are new reports stating that "several" police deputies failed to enter the school. :censored:

11. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    You probably saw the same thing in the military though- some young cadet is lethal with a firearm, a great soldier and all gung-ho to get into battle. In the heat of the moment though, they completely freeze and second guess everything...I would imagine that it's incredibly hard to charge towards flying bullets in any situation. That's why I get so upset sometimes when people bash the cops in general....there are tens of thousands of real life heroes on police forces that never get the credit they deserve.

12. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    I can honestly say I never once witnessed that.

And yes, most cops are awesome. These cops, however, are cowards.

KeyFin likes this.
  13. Puka-head

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    Riddle me this...

If any one of the school children murderers had shouted Allah Akhbar and been from a Middle Eastern Country would we be wanting to arm the teachers or would we be putting our best defenders on the wall???

14. Puka-head

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    I think there is a significant difference between our armed forces and our police force. Every soldier knows he's got the most lethal backup in the world a radio call away. He is loaded with the most lethal weaponry and has been trained to kill. The average cop is out there alone or with a partner, a handgun and a stick. And against the world, wrong no matter what when somebody dies. Why anybody does that for a living is beyond me.

KeyFin likes this.
  15. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    I think both. I don't think there is only one way to skin this cat. The kids need protection and politicians are too busy playing partisan games to do anything with real substance. Sure, banning certain types of rifles and raising age limits may look like they're on top of things, but they are pandering to the emotions of a few and because of this more schools will be shot up. It's pathetic.

Puka-head likes this.
  16. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    I agree. Being a police officer in today's world is a pretty thankless job. To top it off, it's becoming increasingly more dangerous as cops are being targeted more and more.

KeyFin likes this.
  17. Carmen Cygni

Carmen Cygni Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017
    I can't wait for all this basketball stuff to be over, so my Twitter can get back to football. Yawn.

18. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Rosen Staff Member Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I don't do Twitter, but it will be nice for everything that I do follow to go back to normal. I haven't followed any sport other than the NFL, college football or MLB in a long, long time.

19. Puka-head

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/20/us/great-mills-high-school-shooting/index.html

THIS! SO FLIPPING MUCH THIS!!!! PLEASE OH PLEASE CAN MY KIDS HAVE THIS!!!???

This man is my new superhero crush. I want him cloned and put in every school in America yesterday. Please everyone write your congressional representatives, tweet the twits, whatever it takes. Make this happen. Give the S.E.A.L.S. and the Rangers and the 10th Mountain boys and the God Blessum USMC the duty and I can sleep a little easier.

Don't try to give my wife, or my sister in law, or my mom a gun and think that will protect our children. Give a bad mofo a gun and have him, or her, end the threat with one shot.

HOO flipping RAHHH!!! Blaine Gaskill!!!!!

ToddPhin and danmarino like this.
  20. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Rosen Staff Member Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    My immediate thought that this was probably the worst day of this man's life. He's likely there to protect the students from an outside threat, and ends up having to shoot and kill a 15 year old with a gun. He obviously did what needed to be done, but its still tragic all around.

How can this be a cause for celebration???

ToddPhin and Puka-head like this.
  21. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014

Yes, I promise you that the officer is shaken by having to shoot a 17 year old kid.

However, if my kids were attending that school I would be celebrating him. Therefore, I think he deserves a huge celebration because he saved lives. If the coward officer in Broward had done the same no telling how many kids lives he could have saved.

Nappy Roots and Puka-head like this.