1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just say no to Dan Williams

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by GMJohnson, Apr 8, 2010.

Tags:
  1. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Based on recent history, Dan Williams will not be much help as a NT in his rookie year, or even his second year. NT is the hardest position to play in the league, its the most physically demanding, and 99% of the college DTs being asked to play the position never played it in college, so theres a huge learning curve. Thats why there's there's not a single starting NT in this league with less than 3 years experience. Soliai just finished his 3rd year so he's getting there. Everyone one dumps on him for not playing well, but look at the other NTs in the league:

Wilfork 6 years (28) 1st round
    Jenkins 9 yrs (30) 2nd round
    Ferguson 13 years (35) 7th round
    Ratliff 6 years (28), 7th round
    Franklin 7 years (29) 5th round
    Pickett 9 years (30) 1st round
    Hampton 9 years (32) 1st round
    Gregg 10 years (33) 6th round
    Peko 4 years (25) 4th round
    Williams 12 years (33) 2nd round
    Tyler 3 years (25) 3rd round
    Watson 4 years (26) 4th round
    Paul Soliai 3 years (26) 5th round
    Dan Williams 0 years (22) 1st round :sad::no::tantrum:

All of the good ones have several years experience, are pushing or above 30, and only three were taken in the first round. The lone age exception is Peko, probably the top young nose in the league.

Back to Williams though. If you think we're going to fill the NT spot with a rookie, youre dreaming. Its much more likely we'd take Williams and spend a few years watching him struggle as a starter, or not start at all. We cant slide him over to DE, we're already stacked there, and he certainly wont be any help on special teams. Williams probably rides the pine as the 2nd highest paid player on the defense. Daydreaming about ways to spend his millions while the rest of the team sweats it out on the field. How do you think thats gonna play in the locker room?

Meanwhile, we'd be passing on several players who could come in and start. E Thomas, D Bryant, E Griffen, B Graham etc. Players who wont have to change positions, who have more than just one good year on their resume. Or we can spend our 1st rounder, and the 15+ million guaranteed that comes with it, on a backup. :pity::pity::pity::pity::pity:

Not saying that we dont need a NT, just thats its much smarter to grab a guy in the later rounds, when the value is better. The top round picks and the big money go to players who can contribute right away, the mid-late rounds are for projects. Unless youre Pat White.

Califin, CrunchTime, JimToss and 4 others like this.
  2. OCDolfan

OCDolfan a.k.a. LostInPatsLand Club Member

Jul 21, 2008
    California
    If we could guarantee Williams would be a very solid starting NT on day one, I'd say, sure, draft him. But we can't...

GMJohnson likes this.
  3. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    No ones a guarantee, not even my boy E Thomas. But I can just about guarantee that Williams WONT be a solid starter for at least a few years.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  4. I MiZFiT I

I MiZFiT I The Young And The Bestest

Mar 16, 2009
    South Carolina
    Some people guarantee that D. Bryant is already a top 10 reciever in the league.

CaribPhin likes this.
  5. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    you're right. and thats true about the position in general. But in order to get an elite NT you either have to draft one and hope he becomes elite, or pay big time for one later. If Williams is going to become an elite NT, and i know i don't know enough about talent evaluation to say he will, but if he can be then i totally believe he's worth the #12. Either way, it's not my call.

I'm very hands-off with this draft. I don't really care who we take because there's a lot of good talent and quite frankly it's not going to be an easy choice no matter what.

Personally, i think we're going Morgan unless he's gone. He just seems like he fits what this FO wants.

JimToss likes this.
  6. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    some people claimed that about Mike Williams before the draft as well.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  7. JimToss

JimToss Thank You Chad Pennington

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    Yes, we have other holes to fill on the defense.

But as you stated NT's need a couple years to develop and most elite are drafted in the 1st round.
    By passing on Dan Williams this year only sets us back for future years. We are not ready to contend for a title and before we are we need an elite NT.

I can't say I completely agree with what I typed, but I am using the logic you presented in the OP. I still think there are better prospects then Williams on the board at #12. (Bryant, Thomas, Berry (A guy can dream), Spiller) But taking Williams over any of these prospects is reasonable, if the FO believes he can become an elite NT.

8. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin Active Member

Mt Cody is the only Day 1 plug and play 3-4 NT in this draft.

Everybody is going to need time to develop, just like all of the DE/OLB conversion candidates.

If I had to take a NT at 12. I'd take Cody although I really prefer to trade down.

9. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I agree we're not ready to contend, but I think our best chance to do so would involve building around Chad Henne and our OL. Maybe not Bryant specifically, but we definitely need to add a playmaker or two. Scoring more points and holding on to the ball improves the defense as well.

jetssuck and JimToss like this.
  10. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    Gave thread five stars based on title alone.

GMJohnson likes this.
  11. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Excellent post, and your 100% right about no guarentee's....none, zero.

12. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    No, No, N-O !!

GMJohnson and OCDolfan like this.
  13. OCDolfan

OCDolfan a.k.a. LostInPatsLand Club Member

Jul 21, 2008
    California
    :knucks:

14. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    Dan Williams is a long way from being elite. He's a 2 down 43 defensive tackle with no pass rush and very inconsistent technique. Taking Williams at 12 is yet another sideways step for this franchise.

15. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Say Hello to Cam Thomas in the 3rd. baby! I wish. With so many teams running the 3-4 for the most part and he having the ability to be a true NT, imo, I doubt he will last that long, but that would be sweet.

16. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    Well whatever Boomer says I'm agreeing with him in general! There are no guarantees at any position though... I'd say that if he can't at least handle 20 snaps a game with some flashes of brilliance or if thats not what they would see then don't draft him.

Ireland did remind everyone though that he found Ratliff in the seventh or whatever though so maybe that was a sign of things to come.

17. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    We've got 3 six round picks and a couple 7th rounders. Take a couple NTs and let em battle it out in camp.

18. greasyObnoxious

greasyObnoxious New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    great post, and i agree with most of it, but i think you're forgetting Haloti Ngata.

19. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Ngata is a defensive end. Kelly Gregg plays NT.

20. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Oh and the Bengals play a 43 so Peko is a DT not a nose tackle. ;)

21. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin Active Member

I'd nominate Kris Jenkins as the best 3-4 NT helluva presence in the middle for the Yets