1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

just another opinion

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by the 23rd, Feb 20, 2013.

1. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Just another opinion:

I would like to see Miami go after
    both Mike Wallace & Greg Jennings @ WR
    with Darrelle Revis @ CB
    in free agency
    it could be done with the monies available

release: Long, Bush & Starks
    keep: Brian Hartline, Fasano & Smith

draft
    Alabama guard Chase Warmack
    Stanford TE Zach Ertz

if we were able to secure these players, I believe we would go deep into the post season
    and this is doable with the picks & money available. enough is enough, it's time to compete

would work for me:
    best WR line-up in the NFL: wallace, jennings, hartline & bess
    offensive line: martin-warmack- pounce-incognito-jerry or gardner
    tight ends: Fasano & Ertz
    corner backs: revis & smith
    pass rush: vernon & wake, moving oderick to inside

2. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Revis still has 1 year on his contract, he is not a free agent.

3. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Revis isn't a FA, but Jennings, Wallace, and Revis in one FA class? lol.....

miamiron likes this.
  4. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    true, but
    NY would have to pony up a small fortune & can't use the franchise tag on Revis because of his contract ...
    this simply will not happen to keep a player who is discontent & wants out of the franchise
    he will be available

5. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    if you give up Long, Bush & Starks, why not Jennings, Wallace, and Revis in one FA class?
    these are the pieces we need to win the division, if you want to play in the NFL, you have to pay
    we have the ability to make a move like this that won't come around again so soon

6. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    lol the infatuation with Hartline is getting ridiculous at this point....why in the **** would we retain Hartline if we're signing Wallace and Jennings? Wallace = 11 mil against the cap, Jennings = 7-8 mil, Hartline = 6 mil, you want to commit around 25 mil for those 3 WRs? no that would be pretty stupid. you wanna sign Wallace & Jennings, fine, but instead of spending 5-6 mil on Hartline you can give that money to a pass rusher like Michael Johnson or a corner.

Ducken likes this.
  7. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Infatuation ? Same guy who said if we dont draft Cordarrelle Patterson he'd be furious??.... lol at the fact you could care less that Hartline's a good player we may have to lose, without knowing if we could replace him. That's ridiculous. Just like an Ireland hater to promote workout warriors and disregard proven players.

Reports are that Hartline and the phins are in talks..... He was our best WR last year, and the only one we can consider at the time. Your talking about one of the better #2 Wrs in the NFL, just because we need a #1 doesnt mean we ignore the other side ! There's a chemistry between him and our QB too. With all this talk about helping Tannehill out.... maybe at least trying to keep him on a respectable deal isnt so ridiculous.

P.S. I want Patterson even more than you do. But I dont promote players that arent dolphins. Patterson is probably going to the Bills or Jets. When is the last time no offensive skill players went in the top 10 picks ?

MAFishFan likes this.
  8. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    1) yes, I think Hartline is that good & will only improve
    2) Philbin & Tannehill like the four wide option spreading the field
    3) if you have Revis & Smith in the defensive backfield, the pass rush will automatically & drastically improve
    4) Vernon & Wake with Oderick on the inside will provide an excellent pass-rush

we have the money & draft picks. we have the coach & franchise qb, now is the time to put together a competitive team

p.s.
    remember Welker? if we were dumb enough to let Hartline walk, NE would be all over him

9. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    So you want to release players that are free agents already and Trade high picks for a malcontent (Yes he complains and whines every year) CB that we don't know is healthy and sign him to a huge contract? I would pass on him.

I really don't want Wallace at the price he will want, would rather sign Jennings and draft a young WR.

And if we do what you would like, Revis and Smith, those contracts would kill us.

Tin Indian and MrClean like this.
  10. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    we've been getting killed for decades. pay up & win. spend the money, we have it. enough of penny-wise & pound-stupid. without the talent we lose value with each passing season & Wallace is the best WR available followed by Jennings. do it!

11. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    you want Revis ? It'll cost you the #12 pick. Maybe they like Odrick with a 2nd & 3rd. That's doable for us.

As for Wallace : do you guys think the latest report that we are targeting him may be related to the Hartline negotiations ?

12. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Is he healthy?? Who knows

Will the Jets trade him for us? No

Will the Jets trade him for draft picks is a so so draft? Doubtful

The Wallace stuff is all smoke screens, why in the world would we let everyone know that Wallace is our target? You lose leverage with that, he is not the target unless this is some reverse psychology ploy.

13. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    how many superbowls have been won by buying a championship? this isn't the Florida Marlins and MLB. Or the Miami Heat and NBA. (weird how it worked for 2/3)

14. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    They don't need to use the franchise tag on him, he still has a contract. They will not cut him. They might trade him, but certainly not to a division rival.

And I would think there is next to no chance the Dolphins sign Wallace and Jennings if they also re-sign Hartline. That's probably a minimum of $25 million on 3 players at one position. Not likely.

Ducken and MrClean like this.
  15. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Jesus the bengals have a lot of talent for a team that has more cap room than any other team..

I think it was Desides who said it, but I think this year were gonna zig Instead of zag.

16. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

He's under contract for 2013. If Miami were going to trade for him, the Jets would probably want at least two 1st round picks. Then he could hold out every other year for us like he's done in New York even while under contract. He also wants a new deal already that would make him one of the 5 highest paid players in the NFL, according to some of the reports I've read. The main reason though he won't be a Dolphin is the Jets would not trade him within their own division.

Ducken likes this.
  17. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    lol you didn't refute anything i said. if you sign Wallace and Jennings, Hartline will not and should not be re-signed. period.

18. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Uhm... so who plays LT? Martin? Good luck, he wasnt that great at RT. Oh, by the way... if you move Martin to LT, then who plays RT? Maybe after we sign Jennings and Wallace, we can put Hartline there?

In theory, sure it might be a good idea. In reality, no chance in hell.

Hellion likes this.
  19. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Sean Smith - 8 mil per
    Mike Wallace - 12 mil per
    Jennings - 8 mil per
    Hartline - 6 mil per
    Revis - 15 mil per (he wants a bigger contract than Mario Williams)

That's 49,000,000 alone. We're already over the cap, and you haven't even considered rookies. You haven't considered our actual depth signings. This is such an absolutely flawed scenario that I'm simply stunned you thought enough of it to not even post it, but make a brand new thread.

Steve-Mo likes this.
  20. Hellion

Hellion Crash Club Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Here and there
    Exactly, you will have to forget Revis because that takes the 12th pick(at least) so the best that could be done is take Fisher at LT at 12 or trade down a few spots if possible to fill Longs spot and put Martin back at RT. No way Miami signs both Jennings and Wallace,,a part of me will be surprised if we sign either, but there is a thing called depth. every year someone thinks u can just throw money at a team and win a championship..this isn't hockey,baseball or basketball.

21. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Miami having Revis and Wallace under contract would be new-found disaster-land for Miami. All-time low territory.

22. JMORGAN6977

JMORGAN6977 New Member

Jan 9, 2008
    PHX
    My 2cents.

If we get Wallace and Jennings, Hartline is a casualty. But I am ok with it as we will draft a WR in 2nd or 3rd.

If we trade for Revis we stunt the growth dramatically he is not that young or healthy to pull a Ricky Williams style trade....Lets it happens, then you do not keep Smith, casualty of the move.

Everything is cause and effect when it comes to salary Cap, I like the idea Wallace and Jennings for Hartline major upgrade but the rest is suspect.

I would much rather see us lock down our safeties and sign a stud DE opposite Wake then use the #1 on best Corner if it makes sense or trade back to get a corner but need one in round 1. Use the rest of the early picks to bolster O line and reciever, Sign a veteran RB to split carries with Miller he needs one more year to grow. Sign or draft a stellar TE. I think those moves are feasible and will get us to the post season this year or next.

23. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    I would rather get Jennings in FA and draft a young Reciever in the 2nd to learn from him. Wallace is a bonafide deep threat but does he do much else? He is also a little of a headcase. I would like to keep Hartline for the right money, but it is not imperative.

24. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Keep Hartline at any cost.

Anonymous likes this.
  25. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Thank god you aren't the GM.

26. CANDolphan

Feb 18, 2012
    You have a strange anti Hartline boner going on. He didn't say they'd keep it.

I'd rather have Hartline + Jennings for $16 mil per year than Wallace and Jennings for $20 per. That 4 could go towards signing Chris Houston to replace Sean Smith. Or that 4 will cover at least 50% of the contract you give Michael Johnson, freeing up draft picks to solidify some holes we have at CB and O Line. It leaves open a lot of options.

I'm not a fan of spending a likely 20 million of our unused cap space on two receivers. Not in a draft this deep, on in an offense like ours. There are better places we can use that money. Diminishing returns and all that.

27. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

:lol:

28. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    I wouldn't.

well if you're really trying to save money then Jennings @ 8 mil/yr and Domenik Hixon @ 2 mil/yr only totals out to 10 mil of the cap. or we could do what I would prefer which is sign Wallace or Jennings and draft Patterson, which is still cheaper than your plan.

29. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    Revis island sunk into the ocean. :wink2:

30. CANDolphan

Feb 18, 2012
    Well, first, the Patterson + Wallace scenario there would NOT be cheaper, IMO. Wallace + Patterson = 14 million per year with an insane amount of potential. Jennings + Hartline = 13 million. Jenning + Patterson WOULD be Cheaper with regards to salary cap, but you're conveniently forgetting the lost #12th overall pick. :) Now you have to add that cost in there, so no, no matter how you slice it, it won't be cheaper

Also, I never said Jennings + Hartline was my preferred plan, I was saying that I'd prefer that one over the other. Don't use straw men, please.

As far as introducing DRAFT picks into the matter, and talking ONLY about Salary Cap savings, I have no idea why some posters seem to talk about draft picks and salary cap money as if they are separate things. We have a solid pool of RESOURCES that include draft picks AND money.

If we needed JUST WRs, then yes, I'd agree with you. However, this is a TEAM. We need other positions. That 12th overall pick is being used on Patterson, which I like, personally. BUT we a void to fill now. A void that we likely wanted a game-changing player (OT/DE) and we'd have to get that player in FA now.

It'd certainly be interesting. Personally I'm a fan of Jennings for 8, Patterson @ #12, Jason Smith @ 4 million per year for 2 years for RT, Michael Johnson @ RDE for $7.5 million per year for 4 years.

I think that's a great allotment of our resources.

31. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    I thank the board for indulging me in this thread. I am just a fan with an opinion. having said that, the thread has been all I hoped for in terms of information & ideas emanating from our group. by the way, the opinion was more like a simple speculation that needed clarification & comment. may have been better presented in a question rather than a statement. just trying to get a discussion going & learn something. forgive my sophomoric approach to the board. no disrespect intended.

32. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    No worries. Revis for a first round pick is pretty laughable.

33. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    who is that?