JT signing leaves Patriots in a lurch

55 replies

padre31padre31Luxury BoxOP
May 14, 2009, 03:42 PM

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2009/05/14/jason-taylor-signing-leaves-patriots-searching-for-olb/#more-2441

New England Player Personnel Director Nick Casario probably wishes the Dolphins and Jason Taylor had waited a day or two before getting that deal done Wednesday.

Casario was the featured speaker at an event in Boston Wednesday night, and instead of softball questions about how Tom Brady’s knee is coming along, he had to answer some tough ones about what the Patriots are going to do at the outside linebacker spot left vacant by the Mike Vrabel trade now that Taylor is no longer an option.

Adalius Thomas gives the Pats one solid OLB, and NE fans had expected Taylor would be the other. With Julius Peppers out of the equation due to limited cap space, the Patriots as of now have to choose between this quartet: Tully Banta-Cain, Pierre Woods, Shawn Crable and Vince Redd.

Interesting, it appears to me that giving away Vrabel and Cassel and not drafting a OLB/pass rusher is coming back to haunt the pats.

"Normally" we are on the losing end of these sorts of transactions..

MonstBlitzMonstBlitzForum Veteran
May 14, 2009, 03:58 PM

I heart Patriots being in lurches of any kind.

padre31padre31Luxury Box
May 14, 2009, 04:06 PM

"MonstBlitz wrote:

I heart Patriots being in lurches of any kind.

The only guy they have to fillin at OLB who has some upside is Brian Crable, and he is coming back from a new injury, and they lost McKenzie their #3 pick this year.

Could be the Patriots are beginning to show some cracks?

GARDENHEADGARDENHEADSupporter
May 14, 2009, 04:07 PM

Man, I'm gonna be the last guy to proclaim that the Pats are in any type of "lurch" or distress.

These dudes went 11-5 with MATT FREAKING CASSELL at QB!!!!!! A dude who's last game starting was in high-school. If they can go 11-5 with Cassel, they can surely best that record with Tully Banta-Cain at OLB.

I've wrongly counted out the Patriots one too many times. I will continue to assume they will dominate every year until Bellichek is dead and gone. I mean that out of respect, cause I damn sure hate the Pats.

Tanking is like taking a Greyhound bus cross-country. Sure, it may eventually get you where you want to go, but it’s messy and unpleasant and uncomfortable, it stinks, the entire time you’ll be wishing you weren’t there, and not everybody along for the ride is going to make it to the end. - Quote stolen from Deadspin

Paul 13Paul 13Staff
May 14, 2009, 04:10 PM

Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!

Liverpool FC Discussion Thread

OnehondoOnehondoSupporter
May 14, 2009, 04:12 PM

What! The Patriots made a mistake? How could that be? Belechek must have a secret plan because we all know he and the Patriots don't make mistakes. The media and the NFL will find someway to make this look like a brilliant move.

ALalen1New Member
May 14, 2009, 04:17 PM

"padre31 wrote:

The only guy they have to fillin at OLB who has some upside is Brian Crable, and he is coming back from a new injury, and they lost McKenzie their #3 pick this year.

Could be the Patriots are beginning to show some cracks?

Shawn Crable is a candidate to start but I'd say that Pierre Woods would probably start. While he doesn't have great career statistics, he's a pretty good player and I could be wrong here but I believe that they placed a second round tender tag on him only a year ago when he was a FA. They'll be fine IMO. The injury of Tyrone McKenzie is difficult in my opinion because he's versatile and he's a good player. I think he's a ILB though.

dolphindebbydolphindebbyLuxury Box
May 14, 2009, 04:17 PM

As I've said before, "Little pats say waaaa.":cry:
Couldn't happen to a better group.

padre31padre31Luxury Box
May 14, 2009, 04:25 PM

"alen1 wrote:

Shawn Crable is a candidate to start but I'd say that Pierre Woods would probably start. While he doesn't have great career statistics, he's a pretty good player and I could be wrong here but I believe that they placed a second round tender tag on him only a year ago when he was a FA. They'll be fine IMO. The injury of Tyrone McKenzie is difficult in my opinion because he's versatile and he's a good player. I think he's a ILB though.

I'm not as certain (and thanks for the Shawn not Brian Crable), Pierre Woods is a okay subsittute, but he doesn't offer a ton of passrushing upside.

HardKoreXXXHardKoreXXXNew Member
May 14, 2009, 04:31 PM

An article in the Boston Herald (I think?) suggested the Pats chose not to draft a DE/OLB in a attempt to woo Taylor. This is completely speculative of course, but it's unlike BB to leave himself on an island like this.

The article went on to say the Pats are hoping for large contributions from Shawn Crable, who was drafted last year but missed the entire season with a shin injury and Tully Banta-Cain, a re-tread who the Pats resigned after he sucked it up in San Francisco.

@BaseyCrock

"Making people on the Internet feel better about their own lives since 2004"

RBRBrown23New Member
May 14, 2009, 04:46 PM

Maybe they could fill that void next year in the draft with one of the billion 2nd round picks they have :lol: But they wont be hurt by missing one player. They have a great offense.


sig courtesy to peastri!

GARDENHEADGARDENHEADSupporter
May 14, 2009, 04:58 PM

Right before the 2007 draft, the Patriots had NOBODY at WR.

On March 5, they traded a 2nd rounder for Wes Welker.
A few days later, they signed Donte Stallworth.
On April 30, 2007, they traded a 4th rounder for Randy Moss.

And then they went 18-1.

I'm telling y'all, Bellichek will get it done. I hate him.

Tanking is like taking a Greyhound bus cross-country. Sure, it may eventually get you where you want to go, but it’s messy and unpleasant and uncomfortable, it stinks, the entire time you’ll be wishing you weren’t there, and not everybody along for the ride is going to make it to the end. - Quote stolen from Deadspin

adamprez2003adamprez2003Forum Veteran
May 14, 2009, 04:59 PM

Even better when we help ourselves while hurting the pasties



2019 DRAFT WISH LIST
1) DT Dexter Lawrence - Clemson
2) DE Jaylon Ferguson - Lousiana Tech
3) OG Chris Lindstrom - Boston College
4) CB Amani Oruwariye - Penn State
5) DE Shareef Miller - Penn State
7) C Sean Krepcz - Nevada
7) RB Wes Hills - Slippery Rock

Reporter: "Why did you fire Coach Gase?"
Ross: "Because he wants to win now"

steveincoloradosteveincoloradoNew Member
May 14, 2009, 05:05 PM

I need to comment on this.....

F the Pats:up:

jdang307jdang307Supporter
May 14, 2009, 05:25 PM

I will never count the pats out with Belicheck there. I used to say belly and brady, but last year changed that.

They were supposed to falter after weiss left. then crennel. Then brady etc.

opfinisticopfinisticNew Member
May 14, 2009, 05:29 PM

JagsFan3223JagsFan3223New Member
May 14, 2009, 05:31 PM

Only thing that would make this even sweeter was if Tom Brady's knee wasn't ready this season...

Even though Im sure Belicheat would find a way to bring in Brooks Bollinger and make him a MVP and win a Super Bowl...

opfinisticopfinisticNew Member
May 14, 2009, 05:37 PM

"JagsFan3223 wrote:

Only thing that would make this even sweeter was if Tom Brady's knee wasn't ready this season...

Even though Im sure Belicheat would find a way to bring in Brooks Bollinger and make him a MVP and win a Super Bowl...

Haven't laughed that hard since I got baked and watched Anchorman!

padre31padre31Luxury Box
May 14, 2009, 05:40 PM

"GARDENHEAD wrote:

Right before the 2007 draft, the Patriots had NOBODY at WR.

On March 5, they traded a 2nd rounder for Wes Welker.
A few days later, they signed Donte Stallworth.
On April 30, 2007, they traded a 4th rounder for Randy Moss.

And then they went 18-1.

I'm telling y'all, Bellichek will get it done. I hate him.

The thing of it is, passrushers always command a premium, the Vikes gave up a #1 for Jared Allen.

I like the fact that we made moves to try and deal with Patsies offense, we added 2 pass rushers and used a 1 and a 3 on Cb's and signed G Wilson.

phinnheddphinnheddForum Veteran
May 14, 2009, 05:45 PM

I wonder how BB will fare without his scouting/talent evaluating genius in Scott Pioli who left to work for the KC Chiefs

late againlate againNew Member
May 14, 2009, 05:45 PM

"jdang307 wrote:

I will never count the pats out with Belicheck there. I used to say belly and brady, but last year changed that.

They were supposed to falter after weiss left. then crennel. Then brady etc.

Actually they did/have faltered since then. It's been that long since they won a Super Bowl.
While they were been good through the subsequent seasons, one thing that has had a significant impact on their prolonged dominance is the shape the rest of the division was in for all those years. Last year was the first in a long time where the Pats have actually faced real competition within our division and they missed the playoffs.

JagsFan3223JagsFan3223New Member
May 14, 2009, 05:47 PM

"phinnhedd wrote:

I wonder how BB will fare without his scouting/talent evaluating genius in Scott Pioli who left to work for the KC Chiefs

More Film? :yes::yes::yes:

opfinisticopfinisticNew Member
May 14, 2009, 05:52 PM

"late again wrote:

Actually they did/have faltered since then. It's been that long since they won a Super Bowl.
While they were been good through the subsequent seasons, one thing that has had a significant impact on their prolonged dominance is the shape the rest of the division was in for all those years. Last year was the first in a long time where the Pats have actually faced real competition within our division and they missed the playoffs.

Good point, the rest of us have been fighting over the basement for damn near 10 years, it's no wonder they've done so well.

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
May 14, 2009, 05:57 PM

"opfinistic wrote:

Haven't laughed that hard since I got baked and watched Anchorman!

its made of real bits of panther ya know. illegal in 10 countries.

JagsFan3223JagsFan3223New Member
May 14, 2009, 06:00 PM

"djphinfan wrote:

its made of real bits of panther ya know. illegal in 10 countries.

It Stings the Nostrols