1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joss Whedon's new show "Dollhouse"

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by DevilFin13, Feb 11, 2009.

1. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Tru Calling was a cautionary tale; could you want a better premise, a more compelling lead actor but a more pathetically awful supporting cast?

I LOVE Eliza, but I had to stop watching partway through the first season; the guy who played her brother was OBNOXIOUS to the point that I would forward through his parts in each show.

jetssuck likes this.
  2. Mach

Mach Cap Dude

Apr 20, 2009
    In a vacuum I agree, but with such a dearth of good scifi at the time IIRC, it was pretty good. I still think more than anything we need a good anthology series like Twilight Zone or Outer Limits again.

Or at least have decent shows last more than a season and a half.

NaboCane likes this.
  3. DevilFin13

DevilFin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Really good episodes tonight. If you didn't watch them or dvr them find it online.

4. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    It was good. The Summer Glau character is seriously off her nut.

5. DevilFin13

Mar 22, 2008
    Yeah, I loved Topher's line about her being almost perfect.

The guy who plays Victor did a great impression of Topher.

6. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico New Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Kinda off topic but I saw this clip from the show Castle and thought it was funny. I think he wears the costume for much of the episode but I haven't seen it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVZnakJJEUU"]YouTube- mal costume on castle[/ame]

7. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    :sidelol: Oh my GOD! That was SO spot-on.

8. DevilFin13

Mar 22, 2008
    I've really liked the last several episodes. The latest one was pretty good. The best part about it was all of the gorgeous women. We had Eliza Dushku, Summer Glau, and Amy Acker all on screen together. I would pay money to watch Summer and Amy just sit there and read a dictionary. Should be interesting to see how they end the show. I think there are only two episodes left.

NaboCane likes this.
  9. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    What happened with Summer was a SHOCKER.

Excellent shows to close out the series so far. Given the extreme nature of them, though, and given that these were all already in the can when the show was canceled, I wonder how Whedon intended to continue the series next season?!

10. DevilFin13

Mar 22, 2008
    Yeah I was shocked. My exact words were "HOLY ****!!!" I have no clue how he would have continued it. Hopefully they wrap it up in a satisfying way.

11. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    What do we think of the series finale?

12. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Just finished watching it. Still processing. I missed the part where Alpha didn't want to kill everyone anymore.

13. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Me too.

Topher having to die to "kill the tech" was poetic and necessary, albeit sad. However, killing Paul like that, so cheaply, after all he did throughout the storyline, was wrong.

What I'm getting really fed up with is the trend toward abject darkness in sci-fi programs, particularly in place of substance.

I think that often, darkness is used as a crutch by hack Writers and Directors because they lack any inherent depth of their own and seek to appropriate it by adding faux gravitas in the form of the needless deaths of beloved characters.

After it's all said and done, was Firefly Whedon's apogee? Will that show's confluence of concept and cast be the one he will forever remain unable to replicate?

Even in Serenity, look at how casually Whedon sacrificed his gentlest and most beloved characters from that series.

I believe that's a disturbing trend for him.

14. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    About the ending, I thought it was ok but meh. I think they could of done better. Can't say I will miss this show.

I don't get Alpha all being Mr Nice guy again. Paul's death was cheap & how he ended up in Echo's head is just weird in the end. Guess, she will never be alone now. Probably the who point.

15. DevilFin13

Mar 22, 2008
    They definitely could have handled Paul better. I agree that Topher's story was necessary. I'm sure it was difficult to wrap the show up in the short amount of time they had. Alan Tudyk said they had a vision for future seasons and it was good. But once they got the word it was canceled they decided to wrap it up.

Overall I thought it was decent. The story itself was kind of eh, but I think that's at least in part due to the shortened time frame. What I liked the most was the redemption for the main characters (aside from Paul of course).

I know this was a bit of a different show for Whedon, though not a complete 180 from what he usually does. I just hope he learns a few things about this experience and keeps his creative juices flowing. The law of averages should be on his side eventually as far as keeping a show on tv.

NaboCane likes this.
  16. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    What Joss needs to do is stopping making all these other shows & make a new Firefly. If he does, I will be a happy camper then go out & buy me a brown coat like Mal & wear it while watching the show.

17. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Well, they're all available now...except the Captain.

You, me and a lot of other people wish it would happen. But I don't think it ever will.

18. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    You're forgetting Jayne who is in Chuck. Yeah, I doubt that ever happens either. Such a shame though.

NaboCane likes this.
  19. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    I'm watching this series for the first time via Netflix.

It's ... interesting. Certainly doesn't have the immediate appeal to me that Firefly did, but it seems to be an interesting concept in it's own right.

Seems like he took Inara and River from Firefly, shook them up, and then tossed this out. Not bad thus far, but not a show I would search out if it wasn't available on Netflix.

DevilFin13 and NaboCane like this.
  20. DevilFin13

Mar 22, 2008
    Its really slow starting out. If you have the patience it gets better. It never gets as good as Firefly, Angel, or Buffy. But I think it was worth the time I put in.

NaboCane and Vengeful Odin like this.
  21. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    I thought it was a good show the first season, but a lot of that was on spec, waiting to see how it improved.

Whedon dropped the ball from episode 2 through about 7, and it started to be mediocre. When Whedon got back on board after ep8 it was much better.

But it never fulfilled the promise of its concept; here you have the greatest scientific achievement of our time, and you use it 90% for - whoring?

All in all, if you asked me if the show (both seasons) was worth watching I'd say yes.

But in retrospect, the thing I found most disturbing about it, aside from the squandering of a great premise on zombie prostitutes, was the continuation of the eagerness that Whedon showed, beginning with Serenity, to randomly and pointlessly kill off great core characters.

Vengeful Odin and DevilFin13 like this.
  22. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    So I'm watching some Dollhouse again today. Mrs. VO wanted to see the series after we talked about it and I am rewatching the first couple episodes. I noticed something interesting. Keep in mind that I've only watched the first 4 episodes, so this may have already been answered.

In the second show - "Target" - she kills the psychopathic outdoor guy with an arrow to the jugular as an act of desperation. She does a similar move with a needle to the neck in the Heist show. I wonder if this is Whedon's way of telling us that, even with the wiping, some of her memories remain.

Anyway, I just thought it was a nice and subtle clue. Thought I'd share. (I know I am two years too late, lol.)

NaboCane likes this.
  23. DevilFin13

Mar 22, 2008
    Interesting observation. I don't think I picked up on that.

24. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Oh man, they got Alen Tudyk to guest star as a stoner? Awesome!

EDIT:
    Oh! Wow ... had no idea ...

25. DevilFin13

Mar 22, 2008
    Yeah he is awesome. Whatever Joss does next I hope he brings him along.

26. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    He really is an actor with some impressive range.