1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jonathan Martin Walks out of Practice (Freaked out)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Section126, Oct 30, 2013.

1. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Garner struggled pass blocking tonight. There were a couple of plays that were embarrassing how he was dominated by Atkins backup. I recall one play where he was bull rushed and ended up flat on his back at Tannehill's feet, just as the ball was thrown.

2. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    Makes the most sense to me. Sounded like a last straw situation.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

3. hazed819

hazed819 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    STFU and play better imo, you get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to play a game get over it. There are tons of minimum wage workers in Miami that get treated like crap all the time by management and all they can do is stfu and take it if they want to keep the job, i know i been there.

4. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't like how the narrative is changing from mental illness to bullying.

It seems like fishing for sympathy by taking advantage of the public's sensitivity to two different hot button issues.

Mental illness is a very serious issue. Those who are mentally ill have likely struggled for much of their lives to get a legitimate diagnosis and the support they need. Quitting your job is not evidence of mental illness. A diagnosis is evidence of mental illness. If that buzz word got brought out on Martin's behalf simply to elicit sympathy, then it makes a mockery of those that actually deal with a very serious problem.

Now you have another buzz word being used here, which is the accusation of bullying. Is this a real bullying situation that requires intervention? Or is the player merely fishing more sympathy by taking advantage of our society's recent sensitivity to the issue of bullying in our kids?

Already as a mature adult the standards of sensitivity to the issue of bullying have to be far, far lower than in the case of children. This is a 24 year old adult and there are reasonable expectations of a mature adult being able to confront and address the issue of workplace bullying amongst peers directly, without intervention. The phrase, "we're all adults here" comes to mind. In the movies, when the bully is confronted by the bullied and asked to stop, the bully always says, "Or you'll do what?". Reality is not a movie. Most times when there is antagonism in the workplace, direct confrontation will offer relief.

Other circumstances aside from the simple fact that Martin is a 24 year old adult dictate that our standards of sensitivity to the issue of workplace bullying be even lower. For example, the possibility of a physical aspect to the bullying is extremely low. Martin is a 312 lbs male that works out every day and could probably crush a normal human's ribs with one bear hug. There are quite literally only four or five members of the enitre team that are physically bigger than Martin. Furthermore, the requirements of Martin's profession require physicality and aggression. He is himself paid to professionally bully smaller players on the football field. There is a reasonable expectation due to the requirements of the profession for him to have considerable mental toughness and thick skin.

None of these things completely rule out the possibility of legitimate, systematic workplace bullying that requires intervention. But they do make the chances of unmanagable bullying pretty low.

When I say unmanagable, what I mean is what exactly did Jonathan Martin do (if anything) to attempt to address the situation and find a solution? For example, did Jonathan Martin ever approach Richie Incognito and say listen, I get that you're just having fun but I don't like the nickname "Big Weirdo" and i'd like you to stop using it? Life isn't a movie. Incognito just got done very recently baring his soul in a piece where he admits to excessive drinking, drug use, anxiety, depression, his seeking therapy, turning to meditation, etc. Confront him and you might just find a much more sympathetic ear than you'd imagine.

And if you did not find him to be sympathetic to your plight, Jonathan Martin had plenty of other avenues by which he could have addressed the situation. Did he ever approach the coaches about it? Did he ever say listen, I've tried to confront guys about this directly but they're not listening and it's making this a difficult environment for me to work in?

Even if the coaches took a deaf ear to his plight, he has another avenue through which he could address the issue. He has a players union. My goodness, in a political environment where unions are quickly becoming anathema, this guy actually has the benefit of a STRONG union that could and will look out for him in these situations. If he tried to directly confront players and did not get results, tried to bring the issue up with the team and did not get results, then the union would most likely fight on his behalf, particularly against the team for taking a deaf ear to his complaints.

Due to all of the above, with the narrative of Jonathan Martin's problems quickly shifting from one buzz word to another, I'm finding it difficult to have sympathy for him. I think the chances are fairly high that Martin simply lacked the mental fortitude to confront his problems directly, decided to quit the team, and is now attempting to exploit the public's sensitivities to two very serious issues in order to garner sympathy.

SICK, gunn34, evz and 6 others like this.
  5. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I can see the NFL penalizing the team for letting "bullying" carry on. Will it be a fine, will it be anti bullying seminars, will they just take away draft picks?

6. hazed819

Apr 7, 2010
    [​IMG]

7. hazed819

Apr 7, 2010
    Well they were already talking about 'why are they, messing around when they are on a four game losing streak' mess on ESPN and how the team has sent Martin to get help with "Stress". First off, I don't see how losing four games takes away from you being a human being... so because you lose a game you have to mope around till you win, come on man. Also last I checked rookies get hazed league-wide every year and no one has a problem with it so why is 'joking' (as it was initially reported) a problem.

Paul 13 likes this.
  8. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Agree with everything you stated in general, but I'd be curious as to what the "bullying" was. If it didn't go beyond stuff like getting up from the table, then it doesn't seem like a huge issue. If it was something more personal, then maybe that's a different story.

The whole story just makes it seem like we have a bunch of idiots on the team. It's one thing to make a rookie sing his school's fight song. Stuff like that is harmless fun. But why are you getting on this particular guy to the point that he flips? Why would you harm a guy that you actually need to play well for you? It's just stupidity.

If Martin told the coaches and they did nothing, that to me is a problem.

9. hazed819

Apr 7, 2010
    It was initially reported that the joke was on Monday during lunch time that they guys decided that when the last guy sat at the table everyone was going to get up and move. I dont even think it was initially targeting Martin to begin with. I'm looking for that article

10. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I think the Fox Sports article mentioned things like insulting him and his family (i.e. "your mama" jokes).

I'm sure we've already seen the kind of activity that is being labeled "bullying" here on Hard Knocks when Richie Incognito stole Egnew's iPad, guessed that his password was (stupidly) just "8484" and then posted something unflattering on Egnew's Facebook account. Then if I recall Incognito said something like who was that uggo you were in the pictures with, and Egnew looked right at him and said "That's my fiancee". Incognito's look was priceless. It was "oops" and "man you're going to marry THAT" all in the same face.

I'm sure Martin went through similar stuff and he's calling that bullying.

Personally I don't think it fits the definition of bullying unless Martin (as a mature adult) attempted to address the issue and was completely rebuffed.

rafael likes this.
  11. hazed819

Apr 7, 2010
    To Egnew's defense, whos going to mess with Incognito lol! The guy is a beast

12. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    If I'm a 6'5" and 312 lbs man that is paid to professionally and physically abuse other large, strong men on the football field all day long, I would mess with him, especially if I was tired of him messing with me.

gunn34 likes this.
  13. hazed819

Apr 7, 2010
    Here Here

14. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    What ticks me off about this is just the comparability with other situations in which bullying might actually be a problem. Like when Prince Amukamara got bullied and dragged into a hot tub by Jason Pierre-Paul. That was a small player being physically abused by a much larger, stronger human.

This is the 5th or 6th biggest player on the football team claiming that workplace bullying has made it impossible for him to do his job.

15. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I too think its peculiar that the narrative is changing, but I'm not sure that change is coming from the Martin camp.

I think, like many narratives with this team, its coming from the media.

16. hazed819

Apr 7, 2010
    I dont know how true this statement is but dam this sounds like grade school stuff, I guess Martin doesn't stand up for himself. If this is the case I do expect the NFL to do something, I mean its Miami we always get picked on and with the whole 'kids getting bullied' in a similar fashion around the nation is being a touchy subject right now I assume they will find a way to link it together and start some crap.

A source said Martin has tried dealing with a slew of indignities that crossed into personal and family insults, including being bestowed with the nickname of "Big Weirdo."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...eaves-team-bullying-taunting-teammates-103113

17. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    How ridiculous does this all seem? You have this 300+ lb football player and he can't handle being called "Big Weirdo?" I really want to know what else consitutes "bullying" in this instance.

18. CantinaJack

CantinaJack New Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Washington DC
    eh... Sorry but I just cannot find any spot in my heart where I can feel sorry for a 300lb man being "bullied". That just sounds stupid, no matter how you say it. Guys rib guys, its just the way it is in professional sports. Perhaps the Big Weirdo just doesnt have the mental fortitude for professional sports. How many times has this happened in the past where someone has to leave a team? I've never heard of it happening before which leads me to believe this is an individual problem more than a locker room problem. I think he is just having issues with pressure and stress, the position move, and the typical ribbing that guys get was just too much for him to handle, and he just exploded. He needs to just swallow his pride, come back to the locker room, take the obvious jokes about it that he is going to get (a lunch tray in his locker would be a nice touch) and get back to work.

19. hazed819

Apr 7, 2010
    I know... Tell you what though it's starting to make sense now how he gets manhandled on the field all the time.

20. hazed819

Apr 7, 2010
    Hell no man, I wouldn't mess with him if he came back. What if he snaps and decides to really go crazy

21. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I haven't read this whole thread but I also was bothered with the "bullying" narrative which is forming. Reality is that people in groups generally tease and joke around with each other. That's generally how bonds form. You joke around with the new guy and he accepts it with good nature. Then he jokes back and that's accepted. That's how group dynamics work. I'm actually more concerned with Martin's possible inability to respond appropriately. Maybe he lacks the emotional intelligence or maturity? Part of emotional intelligence is the ability to read people and discern whether their teasing is good natured or mean-spirited. Good-natured ribbing is not bullying. There's no intent to hurt. I haven't heard anything in the reports that would qualify as bullying or that would be outside the norm of typical male group dynamics. In my experience it's more common to find people with poor emotional intelligence among those with either high or low IQs. The show the Big Bang theory is largely built on that dynamic, the highly intelligent yet socially inept. I wonder if the issue for Martin is largely a result of his short-comings rather than due to bullying. Unfortunately, in our society it's not politically correct to ever acknowledge that a victim bears any blame. But IMO that's a large part of why certain problems persist b/c people only address half of the problem. I'm glad that Martin sought help immediately. I think that's his best hope, but I think that if he continues in this career, whether here or on another team, it will be b/c he learns to fit in. My feeling is that this locker room is most likely to be accommodating to him should he return since they already have some bond with him.

gunn34 likes this.
  22. josh

josh Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    So, does Martin get paid during his time away? I guess it's a touchy subject, since it seems that the Dolphins allowed him to be "harassed" at work. On the other hand, the normal workplace rules don't typically apply in the NFL.

23. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Is he susceptible to getting rattled on the field as well, with trashtalking?

24. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    This is the first thing I heard as well. He just happened to be the last guy there.

I think the same thing. First they said "mental health issues" without providing any evidence he did anything other than go home to see his mom. Now it's "bullying" without providing any evidence of such a thing.

What we know as a fact is this: He left work on Monday and went home. There are no facts that he has "mental health issues" or has been "bullied".

25. CantinaJack

CantinaJack New Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Washington DC
    That would have been a better response. If he would have just flipped out and started yelling and threating them they would have probably said "ok, lets not poke the bear anymore". Instead, he literally goes home to his mama... I don't see how he can come back to this locker room after that. Personally I hope he "retires" and we get a comp pick for him.

26. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Good question. Makes one wonder how stable he will be.

27. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm not sure the details but Miami deemed it a non-football illness which might mean he does not get paid. He may file a grievance claiming it is a football illness since his stress level was brought on by locker room bullying.

28. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    This is what I think also and it's amazing at how so many come out of the wood work and run with it.

29. hazed819

Apr 7, 2010
    Media is quick to pull negatives from Miami all the dam time. Never a positive though, all I've heard this morning about the Dolphins is this and how the Bengals lost the game (instead of Miami winning it).

30. truedus

truedus Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Just because you are an adult, does not mean you cannot be bullied.

Favoritism, cliques, and singling people out make the bullies feel better about themselves and erodes the very fabric of teamwork and morale. The problem gets worse when you add groups of people doing the same. The worst is the betrayal of a friend. I don't doubt he calls one or two of them friends. I don't care how manly you are, feeling alone and singled out in a TEAM setting is awful.

I take exception to those people that do not empathize with this situation, regardless of how physically large he is, his age, or his wealth. Physical wellness wanes when your mental and dare I say spiritual wellness suffer.

Stop dismissing the problem and have some empathy.

For those wondering how I feel I am any authority on the subject, I spent 20 years in the Air Force. I took an interest in what my troops were doing and was personally vested in many people's personal lives. I learned how to be a leader and a responsible adult. I learned how to evaluate strengths and weaknesses, how to build and leverage a team, and how to take that team to war( 3 to be exact ). I don't believe that many other organizations take such an interest in the health, well-being and growth of a future leader than the Armed Forces.

Mainge, cdz12250 and MikeHoncho like this.
  31. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Impossible to know what the real issue is here, unfortunately. Jon Martin very well could have clinical issues, or he could just be a *****.

32. hazed819

Apr 7, 2010
    That said if he is in fact incapable of staying on an even keel how does that translate on field because lets be honest position switch or not we've seen him get handled repeatedly on the field. Are players going to getting into his head because its bound to happen.

33. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Fact is, there's still way too much we don't know. NFL locker rooms are a brotherhood. There's always going to be ribbing and messing around. I'm sure every single player in that locker room has been made fun, had a prank pulled on them and ridiculed at some point. If it was excessive with Martin and bullying or Martin is just being a softie I have no idea. But if there is serious mental issue with him then he deserves some sympathy and I wish him well.

The players and coaches are all supporting him and professing their love for him and saying they'd love for him to come back. Tyson Clabo said he'd be the first to welcome him back and shake his hand. Good for Clabo. For as awful as he's been, no doubt he's a professional and a good dude.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  34. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    So you think there are a bunch of idiots on the team because they joke around and pull pranks on teammates? I've got news for you, that happens in every sports locker room.

We have no idea what the real story is here. I do know this team loves high character, smart players. Calling them idiots without knowing the whole story is unfair, and I'd bet whatever the problem is, it won't paint the players as idiots.

Mainge likes this.
  35. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009

Again, it's not a physical thing. It doesn't matter that he's 300 lbs. or whatever.

Mainge likes this.
  36. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Yeah, this is another thing people don't understand. If Martin has a real mental illness, his size, riches and education means nothing.

37. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    Yeah, this is definitely a fear. If it wasn't happening already, I think DEs around the league are pinning their ears back at all this. Someone said that football is something like 80% mental. Guys on the other side of the ball are gonna try and get in his head if/when he does return.

38. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

Not even just sports. It happens with a lot of friend groups. **** I got a text message 10 minutes before the Dolphins game after I said, I wasn't drinking last night because I was still hurting from the night before, the text message read word for word "you dont have to drink. we just wanna make fun of you in person when the phins go 3-5 :)"

I mean, when we all get together I still get made fun of for boning some nasty hussy one night. Or I make fun of one of them because hes a ***** and wifed up. or another because hes on a drought. I mean, I thought this is how every guy is. We are *******s to each other, its funny as hell. I cant for the life of me see how a grown *** man can not take a drubbing to an extent. And if its beyond that extent man up to them. If not, take it to the next level. The guy obviously has something wrong with him, whether mentally, or just incredibly mentally weak. I dont want it on my team, honestly.

We traded a top 5 WR for two 3rd round picks because he was supposed mentally unstable. If we keep a bottom of the barrel tackle because of the same thing I am going to be baffled*.

*Obviously depending on whether something outrageous comes out about the situation.

39. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    He could be bipolar. Who knows.

40. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey

Exactly. Guys are going to be guys when they're with their brothers, friends, teammates, whatever. Like I said, there is still a lot we don't know, and if Martin has a real mental issue, I wish him all the best and hope for a speedy recovery. I know how much it can destroy lives.